Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking at Boxter S, Any Boxter owners out there ?
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 31 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

For the OBD II Porsches, a dealer is probably the best bet for a PPI b/c they can access all of the car's records thru PCNA -- even if the owner doesn't have receipts. They can also check the computer for over-revs, etc.

I'd also follow up with a body shop PPI. I wouldn't run from a car with paintwork from a minor repair (not structural) or for rock chips, but make SURE it never had structural damage, because values when the cars were still fairly new was high enough to justify body repairs that just should not have been done...

Then again, there are so many 986s out there that you can afford to be really, really picky.

Unless you're gonna use the thing for track days (where the 996 brakes and extra power are key!), I think the base car is a far better value. With good, late 2.5s going for $15-20K as compared to Ss for $27-32K, you're paying a hefty percentage more for the S -- and having driven both back to back on road and track, over many miles and many years, the base 2.5 or 2.7 just isn't any less sweet.

If you gotta have power, then the S makes sense, but saying "it's what the Boxster always should have been" is like saying 914-4s are lame (without a six conversion).

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 1 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I think you might find a better deal on a 2002 or 2003 2.7. But as everyone here has said shop around. There are lots of low milage Boxsters out there. Try to get as much time and as many miles left on factory warranty as you can get. You will appreciate warranty service.

My 2002 2.7 Boxster has been in for 3 leaks RMS, top rattling, bad wheel bearing and few other minor issues.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 1 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I read that the leaking RMS is due to an excentricity on the crankshaft causing premature wear on said seal. This, aparently, also happens on the 996 motors. This is also hard for me to believe. You have to work at get an excentric section on a center ground object......you could skip a production step......good robots are so hard to come by.

All these motors that have been replaced, due to the RMS, go back to the factory for repair. .....so who kows where the truth lies.
One assumes that if one squeals loud enuff, you get a new (or rebuilt) engine. Without a warranty, one would seem to be...in deep caca....which isn't the first phrase that comes to mind.
Whadda you want for your 50-90 K?

These are not a do- it-yourself engines. AFIK, no parts are available for public consumption.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:50 PM