Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slower than DB Cooper.. for now., WRX engine and transmission swap project
roachghia70
post Mar 9 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,153
Region Association: Northern California

Now that the fender is good enough to drive, here's a video of the bigger problem:

http://youtu.be/Axs1QF_Wxzs

After the impact, the engine was off. It started kind of strangely, as if the timing was off and it had a hiccup where it cranked slow for a moment. When it started, it wouldn't idle. And it had a tick that seemed to turn into a knock. In the video, it sounds tappy, like a valve, but prior to this it sounded more like a knock.

It doesn't make sense that a fender bender would cause a knock. But my best guess is that I caught the gas pedal when I stomped the brake, putting it on the rev-limiter when I hit the guardrail. I don't remember that, but it happened so quick that it's possible. This could have caused one of two things:
1. Being at redline, it pumped all the oil out of the sump. When it hit, the little remaining oil sloshed, causing the oil suction tube to run dry and suck air.
2. the impact caused the timing belt tensioner to go slack for a moment, allowing the cams to go out of time, and letting a piston catch a valve.

I took the timing covers off for the video, and the tensioner wasn't bad. I haven't checked if all the cams are in proper alignment yet. That's going to be my next step. After that, I'll pull the valve covers and have a look in there to see if it's a roller lifter.
But at that point, if I find nothing wrong, the engine will have to come out and the heads removed. Which will suck, because I can't even afford head gaskets right now.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to wait a few months and save up to rebuild the engine, or find another used WRX engine on Craigslist. Dammit! Just in time for spring! Daily drive it all winter, and just when it's about to not be a miserable little car to drive, I go and wreck it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 9 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That sucks bud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Hopefully it turns out to be a minor thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 9 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #43

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

No more blue cars for you.

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 9 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sounds more like chain slap than rod knock.

** Edit I had a Saab 900 with a similar sound, ended up being a failed cam chain tensioner. Not sure which Subaru motor this is. Some had chains some belts.... Another time it was a loose cam follower/rocker arm bracket.

Again not really familiar with the internals of Subie motors, I've only changed oil and
plugs on my wifes 3.0R ;-)
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Mar 9 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 8 2014, 08:30 AM) *

Fair offer, Jeff, and I'm up for it. Unfortunately Thomas can't, because his car is, like, on jackstands.

[Ha. He may eventually be faster, I don't know, but since he's called me out I'm going to make the process of him finding out as painful as I can. ]

Did you send the deer?
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Mar 9 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 9 2015, 01:37 PM) *

No more blue cars for you.

Seriously. They just seem to always be bad luck for me. Maybe I should repaint this one the original dark hunter green color, like it came from the factory!

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 9 2015, 01:44 PM) *

Sounds more like chain slap than rod knock.

I was pretty sure it was a rod at first, but now I'm starting to think it might be a valve or something else. The sound has changed a bit. It went from sounding like some floppy sheetmetal, like the rocker panel was knocked loose in the crash and was flapping against the side of the car. And then it sounded like light deep knocking while it idled. Now it's this new sound that's more like tapping a ball peen hammer against the block, and it doesn't do it at all at idle. Maybe the piston is getting dimpled to where it is self clearancing?

It's weird because it's not misfiring or down on power from what I can tell. I drove it home from the wreck, and while I didn't make full boost or give it full throttle, it seemed to have all its torque. Actually, come to think of it, I did get angry and lay down a nice rubber patch in 2nd gear after the crash. And it didn't seem to be down on power then!

If it is a valve, I've probably hurt the rod bearing since I've drove it home 10 miles or so. I'll find out more as I dig into it a little deeper.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 9 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Mar 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Fair offer, Jeff, and I'm up for it. Unfortunately Thomas can't, because his car is, like, on jackstands.

[Ha. He may eventually be faster, I don't know, but since he's called me out I'm going to make the process of him finding out as painful as I can. ]

Did you send the deer?

Oh crap, motive. I forgot about that.

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 9 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #48

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

[/quote]
I didn't make full boost or give it full throttle, it seemed to have all its torque.
[/quote]

Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge?

Were you able to actually achieve normal boost pressures?

You should test the motor at idle to see what type of fluctuation in vacuum you have.

Drain the oil through a fine screen and look for chunks.

Kinda sounds like something is hitting the plastic timing belt covers.

Sorry to hear man, I really like your car ( so much i wanted to buy it!)

Matt
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Mar 9 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 9 2015, 02:48 PM) *

Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge?

Were you able to actually achieve normal boost pressures?

You should test the motor at idle to see what type of fluctuation in vacuum you have.

Drain the oil through a fine screen and look for chunks.

Kinda sounds like an exhaust leak.

Matt

I don't have a boost/vac gauge in the car, but I could rig one up for testing. I honestly don't know if I am getting full boost, because my butt dyno is not that accurate haha.

Now that you mention it, I do have a small exhaust leak. The up-pipe going to the turbo is cracked right at the flange. I noticed that a few days before the crash, and started looking for a replacement. You can hear it in person, but it's more like a buzzy kind of sound, not a tapping exhaust leak. But I don't think that's what this sound in the video is. In person, it sounds like a physical banging or tapping of some sort.

I'll definitely check the oil when I drain it and pull the valve covers off. That could tell me a lot.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 9 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #50

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 9 2015, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Mar 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Did you send the deer?

Oh crap, motive. I forgot about that.

Brake lines look like they were cut???????
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 9 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #51

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I would guess db's car is the faster of the 2 now.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #52

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Almost sounds like it could be an exhaust leak... Might want to put it on a lift and check that out..

Your repair work looks great! If you ever want me to look at it just say so.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 9 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #53

None of that talk right now, he's in a dark place, no fair planting those thoughts.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2015, 05:39 PM) *

Teach him to mess with me, huh?

Speaking of that, anyone have a spare Subaru turbo motor lying around, unloved? I think I'll start looking for one, stash it in the corner of the garage for a rainy day.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 9 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 9 2015, 06:06 PM) *

Speaking of that, anyone have a spare Subaru turbo motor lying around, unloved? I think I'll start looking for one, stash it in the corner of the garage for a rainy day.

I have one but it's going to go in my car eventually (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Mar 10 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2015, 05:39 PM) *

OUCH. Updated the thread title to reflect.

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 9 2015, 06:06 PM) *

None of that talk right now, he's in a dark place, no fair planting those thoughts.

Shoot me an offer!
Frankly, I've surpassed my threshold of work that I can do in the garage of my rental by a long shot. The lease agreement specifically states NO WORKING ON CARS! so I've been pushing my luck quite a bit by tackling the transmission swap and this recent bodywork. Now it's looking like I need to pull the engine, and that's a very messy thing to do. So I've been considering towing it out to my dad's house 2 hours away, and driving out there to work on it when I can on weekends. But it's really hard to get work done efficiently that way.
Another option would be to pay a shop to pull the engine for me, but I can't really afford that. Another option is to just let it sit until we move to a better place or I can afford to pay to have it fixed. When faced with those options, this might be the time to just throw in the towel and focus on more important things. After all, it's just a car. There's millions of them out there. And I wouldn't mind having one where I can actually fit my family of 3 inside. hahaha

So make an offer. Cash, trades? You never know. I like weird stuff, vintage European stuff, old American wagons, etc... Feel free to PM me.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 10 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #56

Take it to dad's house. If the neighbors get pissed over the work and know and contact the landlord you'll be screwed.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 10 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(roachghia70 @ Mar 10 2015, 10:51 AM) *

Shoot me an offer!
Frankly, I've surpassed my threshold of work that I can do in the garage of my rental by a long shot. The lease agreement specifically states NO WORKING ON CARS! so I've been pushing my luck quite a bit by tackling the transmission swap and this recent bodywork. Now it's looking like I need to pull the engine, and that's a very messy thing to do. So I've been considering towing it out to my dad's house 2 hours away, and driving out there to work on it when I can on weekends. But it's really hard to get work done efficiently that way.
Another option would be to pay a shop to pull the engine for me, but I can't really afford that. Another option is to just let it sit until we move to a better place or I can afford to pay to have it fixed. When faced with those options, this might be the time to just throw in the towel and focus on more important things. After all, it's just a car. There's millions of them out there. And I wouldn't mind having one where I can actually fit my family of 3 inside. hahaha

So make an offer. Cash, trades? You never know. I like weird stuff, vintage European stuff, old American wagons, etc... Feel free to PM me.

No no no! I'll come up and drag it back down here and put in another engine, you won't even need to come visit until it's done. There's a Craigslist JDM 30K mile WRX engine nearby for $800, cheap! Or a nice newer 2.5 U.S. WRX without any accessories (that you don't need) for $1250. NOT A PROBLEM. We'll fix your motor and have it sitting here later as a spare for either of our cars. Modular, plug-and-play. Don't punt, not right now! Your car just got to be SO NICE and this CAN BE FIXED. Please don't punt.

+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 10 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 5,022

does not sound like a rod. You'd be hearing it at idle also
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 10 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #59

Yeah, that's what I think too, but we haven't found any easy answers so one way or another need to pull it to find out. And right now that's the problem.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 10 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #60

4th down and short yardage. listen to the 'coach'.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:46 PM