Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Slower than DB Cooper.. for now., WRX engine and transmission swap project
roachghia70
post Nov 5 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,153
Region Association: Northern California

I started this project as a quick fix and flip, but now I think I am falling in love with it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-2153-1415240654.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-2153-1415240654.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-2153-1415240654.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-2153-1415240654.4.jpg)

The car is a 1970 914 which had been updated and modified quite a bit before I bought it. It’s been repainted a few times (started dark green, then orange, then red, now Alaska Blue), converted to a side shift 901, swapped to a black 1975 interior, upgraded to a 5 lug ’83 911 front suspension and brakes with an under-car sway bar, Bilstein shocks with Ground Control coilovers in the rear, stainless steel fuel lines front to rear, Rota 17" Fuchs, RennMetal tow bar bracket and tow bar...
and most significantly, It has a low-mile JDM 2002 Subaru WRX engine installed!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2153-1415240655.5.jpg)

Before I bought it, the engine swap involved an OutFront Stinger ECU and wiring harness, Kennedy adapter plate, Coldwater914 engine cradle, a homebrew aluminum Toyota radiator setup, a Walbro 255 fuel pump, and a custom dual exhaust with a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler. It also involved a huge hole being cut into the rear trunk area, a weirdo U shaped intercooler delete pipe being made, and about 400 various holes being drilled into the firewall. For some reason, it also involved hood pins.

I bought the car from a guy who decided to give up on the project. He had been paying different shops to put it together which cost a lot of money, and I think he decided that enough was enough. It came with a huuuuge stack of receipts. I think the nail in the coffin was that when he finally brought the car home, all excited that it was running and almost driving, it wouldn't start. It ran at the shop, but once gotto his driveway... Nothing. He threw it on Craigslist, and we showed up with a tow bar. We even beat him up a little bit on the price since I couldn't hear it run.

Funny thing, when my dad and I were looking over the car and pointing out various details that were similar to my dad’s Subaru swapped 914, the seller mentioned that he was using a specific car from 914World as a guide in building his car, belonging to DBCooper. The guide car is my dad’s car!

Yes, my dad is DBCooper. Yes, he’s just as weird in real life. Maybe weirder.
And yes, I have many emotional, mental, and physical scars from being raised by him.

I plan to take revenge, by building this car to outperform his in every way.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 66)
DBCooper
post Mar 10 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #61

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

[Heh heh heh, I really just want to get his car on the road so I can thrash his ass. Heh heh heh.]

[I hope.]

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 10 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #62

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

If your a member of NASIOC or i-club, you can post this video and get more ideas from the Subaru guru's.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 10 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #63

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

1st, go with Pops plan, 2nd, that's a slapping sound. Have you been under it to listen. Separated clutch disc?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 10 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yeah that might not be what you think it is... take it to Dad's house and figure it out. It's running pretty smooth to be a bent valve or rod issue.. Don't sell it broken whatever you do!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
roachghia70
post Mar 23 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 2,153

The car is currently parked at my dad's house, right next to the replacement engine. Currently accepting offers, either as-is or repaired. I'd be willing to get it running, but that will drive the price up. I would rather not get involved in fixing the fender any further, but that could also be arranged for the right price.

Please let me know if you're interested in buying it, and hopefully we can work something out.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 23 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #66

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Sent ya a PM, Its a 1% chance I could buy it though...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 23 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #67

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

How much?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:48 PM