Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seat belt logic switch position
-JR-
post Jan 30 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,055

Someone has messed with the wiring on my seat belt relay (under the passenger seat) and I couldn't find any diagram for it in the Haynes manual I have.

Does anyone know if it plays any significance in the operation of the car or does it just run the buzzer and light on the dash?

Does anyone have a scan of the circuit diagram they could post?

I see one of the wires has also been melted down and I'd like to trace what it was for.

Thanks!

-JR-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jan 30 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

well depends....73+ cars wouldn't start unless wither your seatbelt was buckled and the passenger seat was empty, or if both seats were cooupied, both seatbelts occupied. Should be a big fat yellow wire leading to the starter. Over time this system starts messing up (like everything else) so the easy and effective solution is to bypass the system. Melted wires concern me though. hmmmm....70-72 Cars would just serve as a annoyance with the light and buzzer, as the 73+ cars but with the added bonus of the ignition lock-out
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jan 30 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

sorry...didn't read your post through. I have a diagram, but it's in my wrecked car 2 hours away. Sorry (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) I miss that little bugger.....I like my 914
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 30 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #4

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) On certain models this also activated an "instafire" switch, which if someone was sitting in the drivers seat and tried to start the car without a seatbelt on, it would trigger a switch on the engine that expelled gas from the fuel pump, and fired one spark plug thus causing the whole car to burst into flames as a lesson to the driver to buckle up. You can thank Ralphie Nader (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/devil.gif) for Porsche changing that design the next year, to a simple ejection seat. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 30 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electr...al_diagrams.htm

m
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Jan 30 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Member No.: 2,055

Thanks for the tips...

It's a 75 car and unfortunetly Redshift, the Pelican Parts site only goes up to 74.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Thanks!

Anyone else have a diagram showing that relay for a 75 they can send?

-JR-
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 31 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #7

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Umm... is the 75 not just like the 74?

M
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jan 31 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Sir Post-a-lot

i wasnt going to say so (in case i was wrong) but with the exception of minor things, I believe the wiring for 74 cars match 75 and 76 cars too. Just use the 74 diagrams and you should be fine
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 31 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It is very close. The main difference is that the 75 wiring diagram is missing all of the "seatbelt interlock relay" stuff. Even though a number of 75s did have that in the car. Use the 74 wiring diagram.

As far as I can tell, all the wires that go to the Infamouse Seatbelt Interlock Relay are unnnecessary, with two exceptions. Those being the two fat yellow wires, which carry the current from the ignition switch to the starter--current from the switch goes down the one wire, the other wire goes to the starter. (Sometimes one of these wires has a red stripe.) Splice those two together and you can throw the relay away.

You can't (quite) just chop the other wires. In some cases, a circuit is "daisy-chained" from the relay socket. That is, a wire goes from somewhere to a metal contact that is plugged into the relay socket. Also crimped into that metal contact is another wire, that takes that same electrical signal to something else that needs it. So if you just chop those two wires, you will stop the signal from getting to that second part--even though the relay doesn't have anything to do with whatever that second part is. So you need to splice the two wires that are crimped into that single contact together if you want to cut them. (Easier just to leave the socket and wiring in place.)

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:27 AM