Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Over My Head Restoration, No More Excuses - Just Start Cutting...
BeatNavy
post Jan 25 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #61

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 25 2015, 09:36 AM) *

Its clear you have the skills to do this right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have found the blair rotobroach to be the best spot weld bit.

You can find them on Amazon along with a lot of other good, hard to find tools and parts.

Use some cutting oil with each new spot weld and drill slow with firm pressure.

Keep it going!

John

Hey John, thanks for the vote of confidence. I have blair spot weld cutter and cutting oil on order from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #62

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

here's a thread of scotty doing a suspension console repair back when he worked on 914's

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...pension+console
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 25 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #63

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2015, 05:55 PM) *

here's a thread of scotty doing a suspension console repair back when he worked on 914's

Thanks Mark. Holy crap that's ugly. I hope I don't have to deal with what he did in that thread. But I guess I won't know until I get that thing off of the frame.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 25 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #64

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2015, 02:55 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) daffuq was wrong with me ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 26 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 10,428

Rob:

Here are some cross section pictures of a cut up long. I cut this one right down the seam of the long, which left both the inner & outer suspension consoles intact. Hopefully it will shed some light on how to proceed:

It's a PITA getting these things off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 26 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #66

Awesome, thanks Bob! I've been wrestling with this console for a couple of days now. I've been hesitant to cut it, but it looks like from your photos that's probably the way to go. I also have a better spot weld cutter on order that should help as well.

I'm looking forward to the point where I can stop tearing down and I can start building back up.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 9 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #67

Small update. I didn't work last weekend (was sick and felt like crap -- my wife knew I legitimately was sick when I didn't venture into the garage at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) )

I did manage to get a few things done this weekend. After doing some housekeeping on my daily driver teener (oil change, added third brake light) I went to tackle that outer suspension console again. Getting that thing off of there was a royal PITA just as advertised. Thanks Scotty/Bob for the reference points.

Attached Image
Attached Image

And here's what I was waiting to see. How badly rusted is the inside? It looks fairly bad to me, although not as bad as the at example Scotty B repaired several years ago. What do you think? Salvageable? I'm taking it to be sand-blasted sometime this week.

Attached Image

Here's a shot of the upper long. I've got the two replacement parts on order from RD. I'm struggling to figure out my next sequence of actions in terms of replacing this section. I'm hoping it will come to me once I have the replacement parts in my hand and can visualize it a bit better. I'm also doing my part to keep the Canadian economy humming along. This won't be my last RD purchase....

I guess I also need to remove the engine mount as well. Any advice there? Is there zero room for error when reinstalling that (meaning I need precise measurements)?

Attached Image

From a distance, the damage doesn't look too bad! I'm hoping there's some light at the end of the tunnel in terms of rust removal. I'm anxious for the "moral victory" of starting to build up rather than just tear down.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Feb 9 2015, 08:18 AM
Post #68

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice work. What are your thoughts on the (blair) spot weld cutter?
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 9 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Does the bottom of the upper already have a patch welded on top of the original metal?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 9 2015, 08:25 AM
Post #70

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Feb 9 2015, 09:18 AM) *

Nice work. What are your thoughts on the (blair) spot weld cutter?

My thoughts are that it's probably more effective than the HF cheapo but that I'm still probably not using it right. I think I went through four bits just to get this console out. The teeth kept breaking on it, probably when I would go in at a different angle than the cut I started with. I did realize you need to use it at very low speed. I also used that stick lubricant, and it catches all the metal shavings which need to be wiped away frequently. I'm not sure any cutter would work magic on this console piece, due to the metal thickness and the weird angles. Hopefully it'll work better for me on the floor plan welds...

EDIT: picture added:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 9 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #71

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 9 2015, 09:19 AM) *

Does the bottom of the upper already have a patch welded on top of the original metal?

Hey Cary - not sure. Someone definitely did some work in there at some point - like trying to spray a rust encapsulator up in there. I don't think they put a real steel layer down, though.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 13 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #72

Ok, I got the suspension console back from the stripping provider today (along with the engine tin, valve covers, and intake runners I had powdercoated -- look SWEET, but that's for another time). Here's how the console looks after blasting. Looks salvageable, IMHO. It's not nearly as bad as that one Scotty resurrected. Which is good because I'm not nearly that talented or experienced.

Attached Image

I guess I can weld some reinforcement steel in those sections that are gone. Am I wrong here?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 13 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #73

I also got the wheelhouse and inner long pieces from RD. Looks like the wheelhouse comes with the inner piece already in. Following Bob's thread it looks like he had to weld that piece in separately:

Attached Image
Attached Image

I need to figure out the plan of attack for replacing these pieces. Any advice for fitting these in/cutting out the old? Do I start with the inner and do I need to make exact measurements on engine mount for replacement? Any advice, input, or help appreciated. (I can make up some story about how I'm building this car for orphaned kids with horrible diseases or their widowed mother if that will help. But I think we've all had enough of that today, and anyway it's never been necessary here on the World).

Thanks for the help. I'm excited to start welding stuff back in.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 13 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #74

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

IMO you really should cut out that rotted area. You still have rust in there the blaster couldn't get to. I know it's a PITA ( welcome to my world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) but do it once and do it right. I would also make new pieces for there rather then trying to patch those holes. It's just a couple of bends, nothing major. That metal is pretty damned thin from the rusting
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 13 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #75

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Please take the advise of the man who knows of what he speaks.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 14 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #76

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 13 2015, 10:49 PM) *

Please take the advise of the man who knows of what he speaks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Oh absolutely. If Scotty says it needs surgery, it's going in to surgery. The doctor (me) may not be that competent, but it's still going under the knife.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 13 2015, 08:49 PM) *

IMO you really should cut out that rotted area. You still have rust in there the blaster couldn't get to. I know it's a PITA ( welcome to my world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) but do it once and do it right. I would also make new pieces for there rather then trying to patch those holes. It's just a couple of bends, nothing major. That metal is pretty damned thin from the rusting

I need to figure out the best way to cut out that section with the tools I have and how extensive the repair needs to be. I'm taking a welding class at the county adult ed facilities now. The first three weeks have been all gas welding (got to use a cutting torch on thick steel the other night, which was cool). They do have some nice tools out there I may be able to take advantage of during one of the sessions for fabricating or shaping. So far I've found that gas welding easier than MIG for the simple reason that I can better see what I'm doing.
+Quote Post
Han Solo
post Feb 15 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 16,456
Region Association: South East States

Awesome. Go man, go!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 10:39 PM