Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tailshifter, improving my tail shifter
Mike1981
post Nov 12 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,663
Region Association: Southern California

Hello Everyone

I was asking JRust about his Suby Conversion and how it shifts.

He advised me to post a thread on here to get some advice.

Well, here goes:

I bought a 1970 914 with a tailshift 901 and a Suby Ej22 Motor

Love the car except for the shifting.

P.O. did a good job sorting the car out.

However he needed to fabricate a custom linkage rod to allow for the suby engine.

This has added to the vagueness in the linkage

P.O. has replaced the bushings, I have performed a visual and they look good

So far the only gear I can reliably find is 3rd

2nd is tough to find, sometimes I simply cannot find it and have to put it into 3rd lugging the car until it gets up to speed.

Also when shifting into 2nd and 4th it feels like the rod is flexing before it slides into gear.

1st is rarely used but I can find it if I allow RPMs to decrease.

4th is OK

5th is OK

I have accidentally put it in reverse grinding it (thinking it was 2nd) as well as when downshifting accidentally putting it in 2nd when I wanted 4th redline! owch!

I've crawled underneath, the linkage has play, and even the end of rod going into the shifting arm would need material added to take up slop.

Wondering what would be the best way to improve this?

New Shifter springs/Short Shift?

New rod/Linkage?

Or leaning towards cable shift as I have read where the tailshifter will never be good?

I have seen Kevin311's design and would like to do something like that if I could get some help on the plates.

If anyone can get a hold of Kevin311 I would really like to get the drawing for the plates he fabricated for his shifter it looked very good and he extended an offer to help others.

I have slowed down my shifting by grabbing the shifter with 3 fingers and feeling for the gears

Also use the 1 second rule (Clutch in move lever out of 2nd inot neutral count 1 second into 3rd) this helps but becomes unmanageable when driving in heavy traffic

Any Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:59 PM