Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Head gasket, Is this the VW bulletin?
stugray
post Nov 20 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2014, 11:38 AM) *

RTV is NOT an acronym. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) FAT Performance uses it, European Motorworks uses it and as it turns out, so do I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I THOUGHT he was talking about 'KY' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Nov 20 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I thought he was talking about POO. Not an acronym either, but a funny visual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Nov 20 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #23

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I used head gaskets on my engine build.. No problems at all with the engine..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Nov 20 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,167

RTV = room temperature vulcanizing - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2014, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 19 2014, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 19 2014, 08:20 PM) *

FAT Performance uses head gaskets. European Motorworks uses head gaskets. As it turns out, so do I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You use lots of things that maybe only you would use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A three letter acronym of a certain substance that smears all over the place.....
Things like that ....

RTV is NOT an acronym. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) FAT Performance uses it, European Motorworks uses it and as it turns out, so do I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

+Quote Post
dknechtly
post Nov 20 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #25

Yellow 914

Member No.: 560

I usually do not use head gaskets. I have the heads fly cut and also lap them to the cylinder. However on my last build, I had trouble lapping and as I looked closer, a rim around the combustion chamber on the head was butting against a rim around the cylinder wall. This would keep the cylinder from sealing tight with the head. In this case, a head gasket gave me the clearance I needed.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 20 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2014, 01:38 PM) *

FAT Performance uses head gaskets. European Motorworks uses head gaskets. As it turns out, so do I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You use lots of things that maybe only you would use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A three letter acronym of a certain substance that smears all over the place.....
Things like that ....

Ummmm, yes, in fact it is an aconymn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

room temperature vulcanization
RTV Silicone (room temperature vulcanization silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium - usually from 15 Shore A to 40 Shore.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 20 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 20 2014, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 20 2014, 01:38 PM) *

Things like that ....

Ummmm, yes, in fact it is an aconymn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

room temperature vulcanization
RTV Silicone (room temperature vulcanization silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium - usually from 15 Shore A to 40 Shore.

An acronym is a word. Like radar. (RTV is not a word) A word that is made up of the initial letter, letters or major parts of a compound term. Scuba is a word. You're probably right though. WTF (not an acronym) do I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 20 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Nov 20 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Love grammar debates. Ellyutt is right. RTV is technically an initialism, not an acryonym.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Oh yeah... what were we talking about again?
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 20 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

European told me not to use head gaskets. idk man.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 20 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #31

Custom Member

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 20 2014, 09:11 PM) *

Love grammar debates. Ellyutt is right. RTV is technically an initialism, not an acryonym.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Oh yeah... what were we talking about again?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Nov 20 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I like.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 20 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #33

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Of course this whole argument is moot if using 96mm P&C's.

I would expect that, did you by chance buy 96mm from them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 20 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #34

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Just a point I would like to make.....

Betty is driving a 914-4 that has 365,000 miles. During that time the engine has always had the head gaskets installed. And it has NEVER experienced a head sealing issue, EVER. The engine has been rebuilt 3 times since she has owned it. The first one at 150,000 miles.

There is nothing in any Porsche manual or bulletin that says not to use them. And I have had excellent results using them.

Look at it this way....

If you use the head gasket, and there is a leak between the head and the jug, you burn a slot in the gasket. You take it off and throw it away.

If you don't use a head gasket, and there is a leak between the head and the jug, you will end up burning a slot in the head or the jug. Repairs to the head will be expensive. The jug will have to be replaced, and that is expensive too.

I consider that cheap insurance.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 23 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #35

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 20 2014, 07:48 PM) *

There is nothing in any Porsche manual or bulletin that says not to use them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) True, but why is the "Porsche" part even relevant? It's a VW engine in your car and a VW tech bulletin. Is it really prudent to ignore their advice? Their advice about their own engine?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 20 2014, 07:48 PM) *

If you use the head gasket, and there is a leak between the head and the jug, you burn a slot in the gasket. You take it off and throw it away.

If you don't use a head gasket, and there is a leak between the head and the jug, you will end up burning a slot in the head or the jug. Repairs to the head will be expensive. The jug will have to be replaced, and that is expensive too.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. I've never heard of a gasket failing without damaging the head, unless it was caught in time purely by chance. The material in the crushable head gasket is softer than the aluminum head or the iron cylinders so the flame will indeed burn a slot in the gasket first. But that hot spot in the gasket enlarges every time hot compression gasses get squirted through it, eroding the metal. The slot never gets a chance to cool so very quickly (no shit quickly) it burns a channel into the aluminum head. That's the "blowtorch effect" that's been mentioned. An aircooled engine makes a lot of noise, so unless you know what you're listening for you won't hear it until it's already bad enough to have trenched your head past where it can be fixed with a fly-cut. Once started it can do that damage in one good stretch on the freeway.

For good order's sake it is entirely possible that the same thing could occur if no gasket is used. If it does the damage will be no different, it will trench the head, it's just less likely (according to VW) if there's no soft metal head gasket giving the flame front an easy place for a hot spot to start and then breach.

Other thing, it's not an "OH NO, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" thing, it's more like your doctor telling you to cut back on the smoking (or bacon, alcohol, extreme sports, whatever) or bad things could happen. Those bad things are more likely if you don't change your habits, but they aren't inevitable. There are lots of old guys who smoke, just not nearly as many as old guys who smoked as old guys who didn't. You haven't had a problem? Great.

You also don't need to believe VW tech bulletins (or anything else you read on the internet), but the next time you talk to an old-time VW mechanic (once again, that's a VW engine in your car) ask him about head leaks. He'll have a lot of interesting things to say.

EDIT: This horse is way dead and I'm done, but need to clarify that there ARE times when a head gasket is a good idea. When you have questionable machining from a flycut, for example, and lapping won't be enough. Or when have no other way to get deck height, are building a performance engine that will be torn down frequently, things like that. Or even when you just damned well want to, then all means go for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It's your engine, so do whatever you want with it.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 23 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #36

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The point that everyone here seems to have missed is VW redesigned the cylinder heads. The Spanish heads are of the redesigned variety. When that happened, the head gaskets were no longer necessary. They DO NOT tell you to leave out the head gaskets on engines not of the specified series. Note, too, that the 914 2.0 is a VW "BASED" engine, and the pistons, cylinders, and heads are different from the 2.0 VW engine.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 23 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 20 2014, 07:03 PM) *

I would expect that, did you by chance buy 96mm from them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yes i did, Maybe thats the key?
Maybe my reading comprehension is sucking. who knows. I am somewhat new to this.
I did notice when i flooded the motor with fuel and got under it, fuel did leak out of the motor from between the barrel and head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) however I was told by a aircooled mechanic thats not uncommon since fuel is thin?
Runs perfect when started and driven. no leaks that ive noticed.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 23 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #38

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(colingreene @ Nov 23 2014, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 20 2014, 07:03 PM) *

Yes i did, Maybe thats the key?
Maybe my reading comprehension is sucking. who knows. I am somewhat new to this.
I did notice when i flooded the motor with fuel and got under it, fuel did leak out of the motor from between the barrel and head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) however I was told by a aircooled mechanic thats not uncommon since fuel is thin?
Runs perfect when started and driven. no leaks that ive noticed.

Fuel may be thin, but it's not thinner than air ...

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 23 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #39

Right, thats why i said WTF.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:25 AM