Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trade: NA Miata for 914, Curious?
drmitch
post Nov 23 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,485
Region Association: None

I've driven Miatas for the last 14 years and just love driving them. That said, I've got it in my head that I want to try a 914. Anybody interested in a swap? Mine is a 1997, black, 170K miles. I've got a LONG list of upgrades and maintenance performed. Flyin' Miata front sway bar, Flyin' Miata frame rail braces, Garage Star fender braces, glass window convertible top, added a NOS OEM CD player, upgraded to Fat Cat shock mounts front and rear, Borla stainless steel cat back exhaust [sounds perfect], reupholstered seats, upgraded both door and headrest speakers, new oil pan seal, have done timing belt, valve cover gasket, KYB-GR2 shocks front, Koni yellows rear, replaced power window bushings with new teflon, new clutch, Hard Dog Hard Bar roll bar...I'm sure there's more. Runs and handles great; I don't race it, ever. I'd only be interested in a 914 of comparable quality and condition. I'm in the greater Los Angeles area. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 24 2014, 03:35 AM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

With the recent appreciation in 914 prices you may have a tough time finding an even swap. The 914 is on the upswing from a price perspective and many of the nicer cars are being held onto.

Pictures of your car may help picque someone's interest. Good luck in your search.
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 24 2014, 06:45 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 24 2014, 01:35 AM) *

With the recent appreciation in 914 prices you may have a tough time finding an even swap. The 914 is on the upswing from a price perspective and many of the nicer cars are being held onto.

Pictures of your car may help picque someone's interest. Good luck in your search.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just put a brand new windshield in and a new battery as well.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 25 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

With all due respect. Your not going to find anyone to trade with unless it's a complete project. I've heard far too many comments around here about the Miata being a chick car.

But hey, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) sell it outright and come back and buy a 914. You will have a blast showing those Miata's your tail lights.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 25 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #5

[quote name='rick 918-S' date='Nov 25 2014, 03:49 PM' post='2114825']
With all due respect. Your not going to find anyone to trade with unless it's a complete project. I've heard far too many comments around here about the Miata being a chick car.

Yeah...I've heard the chick car thing as well and anyone who says that is uninformed. The cars are incredibly successful in SCCA racing, they have been on multiple "best sports cars of all time" lists, yada, yada, yada. I've had one helluva lot of fun over the 14 years I've driven them and would be perfectly happy driving this one for the next 14 years. I have fun every time I get behind the wheel and I'm actually hesitant to make a move to something different. I tried that with three different Z3's--a 2.3, then a 2.8, then a 1.9--and came back to the Miatas each time.

There are those Porsche drivers who know the car. Comments over on the Pelican Parts forums include "I wouldn't hesitate to own a Miata if I had the chance", "[What car would compare to the 914 handling?] The Miata. Better grip than the stock skinny tires on the 914, great shifting, better suspension, and not that much more weight", "The Miata always kicked my butt in my 914-4 in stock class"...

I've also heard that the 914 "isn't a real Porsche", is woefully underpowered and has a shift linkage from hell. But, instead of forming a misinformed opinion as so many on various forums do, be they Porsche, 914, Miata forums--it goes on everywhere--I've done my research, I've driven the 914's and I've come to the conclusion that I like them--regardless of pedigree or marque--I enjoyed the car and would like to make a change. We'll see what happens...thanks for the input.
+Quote Post
ben*james
post Nov 25 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #6

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rick - leave him alone ( and his chick car... )
He will be one of ours soon enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - updates on your projects?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

OP - good for you. You've gotta nice car, the miatas don't get the respect they deserve. You are preaching to the choir as you know.

+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 25 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #7

[quote name='ben*james'
He will be one of ours soon enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - updates on your projects?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

OP - good for you. You've gotta nice car, the miatas don't get the respect they deserve. You are preaching to the choir as you know.
[/quote]

Yeah Ben...I hope I'm one of yours soon. Like I said...I'm a little spooked about leaving the Miatas behind...but I think the 914 might be able to make me forget.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Nov 25 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #8

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

You've already got a car people scoff at, so you'll fit right in here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Just kidding!

Once you go mid engine, you won't want to go back. I only got into 914's a year ago, and I'm obsessed already. Although I came from rear-engined air-cooled VW land.

I can't imagine owning anything front-engined or water-cooled ever again.
Although I might go water-cooled for a Boxster S. They seem pretty cheap 2nd hand.
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 25 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 25 2014, 05:48 PM) *

You've already got a car people scoff at, so you'll fit right in here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Just kidding!

Once you go mid engine, you won't want to go back. I only got into 914's a year ago, and I'm obsessed already. Although I came from rear-engined air-cooled VW land.

I can't imagine owning anything front-engined or water-cooled ever again.
Although I might go water-cooled for a Boxster S. They seem pretty cheap 2nd hand.

Era; yeah, the 914 got no respect for a loooooong time either.

I've driven the Boxster S as well. Very nice but too plush for me, too modern, too complicated overall and way too pricey when it comes to maintenance. I couldn't do it. Ditto the Cayman; beautiful car to me, breathtaking, fun to drive, but the cost of ownership on these new Porsches...I just can't get past how ridiculous it seems to me, even if I HAD the $$.

BTW, my brother lives up your way, in Four Oaks [once he's back from Afghanistan for the final time next month], and my parents will be joining him next year.
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 26 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #10

From an email I got last night; what do you think the "weird clanking noise" might be? I'm not interested in this car but I am curious about the noise.

"honestly I'm not sure what the motor needs. It runs and still has plenty of power but it recently started making a wired clanking noise that gets worse as you rev it. It drives but I would probably address the noise first. It does have the original FI and the shift linkage is decent. The interior is bad and needs to be redone. The dash is cracked and there was a small dent on the drivers door that was pushed back out leaving a bit of a ripple. The body has minimal amounts of rust the worst of which is in the cowls, there is also small amounts of rust under the battery and in the rear trunk."
+Quote Post
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
post Nov 26 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,150

...and no one on here has heard of a 914 being a "chic car?"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Hope these are tongue in cheek comments to a new person who may actually think your car is as cool as you do. Reverse snobbery is still...snobbery...I'm no Mazda fan but there is also a reason they were made for more than 6 yrs.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 26 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Nov 26 2014, 02:21 PM) *

...and no one on here has heard of a 914 being a "chic car?"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Hope these are tongue in cheek comments to a new person who may actually think your car is as cool as you do. Reverse snobbery is still...snobbery...I'm no Mazda fan but there is also a reason they were made for more than 6 yrs.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks for the welcome, Mr. Olympic Blue. There is an Olympic Blue 914 for sale locally that I would LOVE to have. Has the PORSCHE rocker panel stripe and blacked out Fuchs...looks great.

And actually...the NA Miata was made from 90-97, the NB from 99-2005, the NC from 2006 to 2014 and the ND is just coming out so...so far, they've made Miatas for 24 years and are still rolling forward.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Nov 27 2014, 02:14 PM
Post #13

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Love the Miatas. I have sold a number of them. The NA and the NB. I personally like driving either model. They have lots of great amenities, power window and power brakes. They make a great daily driver.
They make a fine addition to the 914 collector garage. When you want a full top down convertible, for the money you won't find a better small sports car.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Nov 27 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 27 2014, 12:14 PM) *

Love the Miatas. I have sold a number of them. The NA and the NB. I personally like driving either model. They have lots of great amenities, power window and power brakes. They make a great daily driver.
They make a fine addition to the 914 collector garage. When you want a full top down convertible, for the money you won't find a better small sports car.
Craig at CAMP

You said it, Craig. While I'm waiting for someone with an extra 914 sitting around to trade me, I'll continue to improve upon what is already a stellar vehicle. I'm looking into some more bracing, possibly lightweight seats to drop 30 pounds or so, some 80/20 loop carpet to further the vintage look...somebody better hurry or I won't want to part with this one!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Nov 28 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #15

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've always been a fan of the first and second gen Miatas (esp. slammed, cambered first gen's). Unfortunately I am not even close to fitting in them. It might help to know what you feel like the ballpark value of your car is. As a point of reference, a buddy of mine bought a rust-free 2.0L in boxes for just over 2K a year ago. A decent rust free 914 is in the 8-10k range. A rusty but driveable 914 is in the 3-4k range in my opinion.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
smveril
post Dec 6 2014, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Mikey

Member No.: 3,232
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a 90 Miata and 73 914 2.0. The 914 is faster and corners better than the Miata. But, the Miata can be and is a winter car (can't drive it in the snow because it has no ABS and not great winter tires).

So, advantages of each although I like my 914 better.

Mike
+Quote Post
drmitch
post Dec 6 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(smveril @ Dec 6 2014, 02:04 PM) *

I have a 90 Miata and 73 914 2.0. The 914 is faster and corners better than the Miata. But, the Miata can be and is a winter car (can't drive it in the snow because it has no ABS and not great winter tires).

So, advantages of each although I like my 914 better.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. No need for a winter car here in Los Angeles. My main concerns I guess would be reliability and cost of ownership; how would you say the two cars compare in those areas?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Dec 22 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #18

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I've already got one of those

Attached Image

and three of these

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:14 AM