Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> chassis reinforcement - where to start, have the guds, where to start?
TravisNeff
post Feb 1 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am planning to do some reinforcements to my tub. I have the rear trunk cleaned out of paint and seam sealer, plan is to stitch weld the rear, install the engman kit sitting in the garage and reinforce the front trunk area (after welding in the AC patch).

I started on the rear panel filling the trunk release button and filling the emblem holes, have my patches in place for antenna and side markers, but started a bit on the shock towers. Then I thought, that I'd better plan this out a little bit better.

The car has the engine and tranny in place for the moment and will stay that way for at least a month or so (moving). Where and how should I start? have the car on jackstands, measurements, bracing (to hold the chassis in place while I do this) etc. I'd hate to be 3/4 done and realize I goofed and should have done it in another order.

I also plan on reinforcing the rear suspension pickup points, but that will happen when the engine/tranny comes out.

Gimme some thoughts..

I'll try to clean up some and take a few pics tonight so you can see what I am working with
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 1 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Oh, I know a lot of the factory style stiffening kit is debatable. Is it worth getting the kit and using what's good or making up my own pieces? (and would love to hear some ideas on this too).
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 1 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

I guess I am bored and ought to get some work done instead..

Anyhow

In a perfect world I would have the tub stripped and everything measured first. Then I would start from there.

However, engine is still in, car is still on the ground with suspension. If I was to tackle one section of the car at a time (let's say the rear trunk) is there anything I should specifically prepare first, besides the crude trunk measurements?

Here are my areas that I am going to do

Rear trunk area

cabin

front trunk area

(engine bay area comes later/last)

Where would you start and why?
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 1 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

here's some usefull threads for ya...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=2&t=15765
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=2&t=16128

depending on your goals and aims, you might have to dig a little deeper than just stitchwelds...
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 1 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #5

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Get the rockers off and the engine out first so you will know where rust repair needs to be done. Then start on the most structurally important repairs first ,longitudinal,floor pan, front trunk,hell hole,rear trunk. That's my method,if there are no serious repairs, start at one end and work towards the other. I have to or the ADD takes over (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 1 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Jeroen,

thanks for the links, and that is definately what I am going to do for the shock towers when the engine comes out. I am following along Eric Shea's thread on windshield uprights and Brant's race car thread for ideas. Also Racer Chris' rear outer trailing arm mount boxing trick

From where Br@d stated which parts of the stiffening kit are good/bad, I can't really tell if he is stating which is good or which one is bad. It looks like the panels that go over the inner wheel well is bunk.

Scotty,

Hell hole and battery tray had surface rust which I ground off and POR'D last time the engine was out. Rockers, longs and floors are good. rear suspension pickup points are good, solid and rust free. The only rust areas that need work is the lower corners of the firewall where the sound pad was, those sections will need to be cut out and replaced - non structural. The next spot is the tunnel, have loose surface rust in there from a leaky MC.

Seam sealer is out of the trunk, tar paper is out of the cabin floor. The MC area is flexy so a brace or laminating a piece of sheet metal over the area is needed. So far so good, no structural repairs are requried.

I need to make up some door braces before I start on the engman kit and rear suspension points.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:56 PM