Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please tell me what we (GPR) are doing wrong, - in other words why don't you buy from us.
PanelBilly
post Nov 25 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Frankly I would mine if you replied to questions about replacement parts with a link to where it could be purchased on your site. If it's ok with Andy that is. I like answers and I like supporting the membership vendors.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 25 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

i must be the only one whos not a pelican fan.
If you have a 914 throttle cable, engine tin grommet for it and the air tubes from the exchangers to the car in stock consider me a customer.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Nov 25 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #43

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

I haven't bought many 914 parts as I am lucky in that I drive mine more than I work on them.(Not lately, haven't worked or driven). However of the few parts I have purchased, I have bought more from you than anyone else. I have never purchased from Pelican. When I have ordered, I have talked to Jonathan and he has always taken great care of me. Also, you guys have always been more than generous when support the events I have hosted or attended and I will always shop GPR first.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

p.s. Your crappy website doesn't bother me as I am too lazy to use it and just always call when I need parts.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 25 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #44

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I'm like a good many others here. I bought a ton of stuff from you guys for both of my 914's and haven't needed weekly deliveries (although I do miss the box's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) for a while. I concur that your internet store is a PITA.
So I'm going to step out here and suggest something different. I hear you when you say that the internet set up cost are prohibitive. And your phone sales i.e person to person are stellar and always have been. Why not combine your strength and weakness. Easy to advertise on the internet "Old Time Phone Sales Only" Answered by Experienced Professionals. Just as everyone has computers these days everyone also has a cell phone. So no long distance. Lots of people want to talk to experienced personnel but Big companies can't afford to hire them. You already have that in place. Accentuate what you do and advertise it. Your strength is the service you guys give, not the products you offer.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 781

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2014, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 25 2014, 03:13 PM) *
you have two basic options

Actually, you have more than two options.

There are plenty of other (free) eCommerce frameworks out there that you can use to built your parts store.

The downside of them is that they won't hook into WorldPac (unless WorldPac has a generic API you can use) and you'll have to fill in the products and prices yourself initially and then maintain that database.

However, the upside to that is that you can customize those system to look and feel and flow exactly as you want them to.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I was grossly oversimplifying. You are absolutely correct that one could use one of the many turn-key platforms (as opposed to actually coding the site from scratch).

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the core problem. All the big distributors are super paranoid about their application data. At least with my primary suppliers, there is no API. You have to use one of their approved vendors and, even if you could circumvent this, the catalog and pricing data is an xml request/response that is YMME driven. So, to create the kind of static catalog that lays everything out for you without the YMME lookup would require purchasing a subscription to an application catalog (into five figures per year) or generating that data internally using PET or some other resource. Then there is maintaining pricing on 10,000+ sku's that can change daily. Unfortunately, I just don't have the resources to do all that.

I have considered a staged transition to that sort of catalog (e.g. start with just 914).

I do appreciate your input - I'm sure you've forgotten more about e-com than I'll ever know.

Brian

P.S. We do buy from Worldpac but only as a last resort. They are more oriented toward repair shops and their pricing structure does not lend itself to serious resellers, IMHO.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 25 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #46

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My first choice is to buy from the people who are part of the 914 community. Their exposure is not based just in advertising. They are not just a parts catalog. They help, they advise, they criticize, they innovate, they inspire, they volunteer. They have solutions for my wants, problems and needs. They are passionate and help me feed my passion. Tall order but it's true. That's who I buy from.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2014, 08:37 PM) *

Here's a graphic. You have WAY too much garbage. You're important to irrelevant ratio is skewed way in the wrong direction. The stuff in grey should be smaller, the stuff in white should be bigger.

Thanks for the specific input. You would really love some of the templates the vendor offers (entire screen irrelevant).
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #48

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied, even if I didn't respond specifically to your post. I really appreciate all the input. I was very nervous about posting this. I half expected to get "because you suck" as response.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 25 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2014, 05:57 PM) *

You could be more proactive. Bruce Stone trolls the Classifieds and when someone says I Need - He says I've got. By changing the behavior of some, you create a wave of change. They recommend you and so on...

You're trying to change a culture. We have all kind of grown up 914 wise with the Bird. Other than Dave Darling, they aren't really proactive here. They rest on their laurels.

Be present. Be more vocal. Mark Whitesell doesn't just sell great product, he promotes it. If someone says I need - he says I've got... GPR needs to develop a 'personality' by being a part of the community.

Great answer!! Actually, although I had seen some members here mention GPR in some posts, I had no idea who they meant. Those generic three-letter company names are not very rememberable (is that a real word?).

I've bought stuff from 914Rubber because everyone here knows Mark and everyone has great things to say about him. As stated above, he's a "part of the community," not just a vendor.

That being said, I just checked out your web site and you seem to carry a lot of parts. I spot-checked prices for a few parts I recently purchased from other vendors. Some were higher and some were lower.

Is there a mailing list I can get on? I'd probably buy parts from you. I just added your web site to my browser list.

Oh, regarding your comment about the banner ads... never even noticed them!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Guess I've learned to block banner ads from my field of view.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 25 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #50

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 25 2014, 11:47 PM) *

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied, even if I didn't respond specifically to your post. I really appreciate all the input. I was very nervous about posting this. I half expected to get "because you suck" as response.

We can do that to if you like abuse, but it is far more functional in the sandbox.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 25 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #51

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 25 2014, 07:35 PM) *

I haven't bought many 914 parts as I am lucky in that I drive mine more than I work on them.(Not lately, haven't worked or driven). However of the few parts I have purchased, I have bought more from you than anyone else. I have never purchased from Pelican. When I have ordered, I have talked to Jonathan and he has always taken great care of me. Also, you guys have always been more than generous when support the events I have hosted or attended and I will always shop GPR first.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

p.s. Your crappy website doesn't bother me as I am too lazy to use it and just always call when I need parts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
mapguy
post Nov 25 2014, 11:36 PM
Post #52

Freelance Generalist

Member No.: 16,945

I joined 914world almost a year ago and have ordered tons of parts for the 2.0 I picked up in Feb. This is the first I've heard of your site, so... there's that.

I just browsed a bit, and I'm very glad to know you are there! I will likely be picking parts up from you in the future.
+Quote Post
funk
post Nov 26 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 17,531

actually this is a question and a suggestion first I've been needing pistons and jugs and when I found your site you offer a set of 1976 914 p and cs for 250$ that are euro spec Mahles a great price but you don't say if they are forged or cast a particularly huge description mistake and I thought well a set for 250 must be cast but then I went to look at vw transporters (some parts are interchangeable)and found them with a set of mahle for 330 plus or minus except they do say forged and they say for a full set but they are dished pistons no interest for most Porsche engine builders so suggestion make certain description is complete and is this a full set or just one piston and one cylinder??I was uncertain when clicking on that parts section of exactly what I was clicking on. maybe update your products a bit to boot really most people who are rebuilding their motors from home at least are going with 96 mm pistons and cylinders just because you can still use stock fi ect... that that would be a trending issue.you have some great stock parts and good buys but not necessarily up to date on some of the latest mods although I do see the front sway bar set up some 914-4 headers would be nice to see at your prices hell if I was just saving 20 bucks. most of us guys are doing 914 because of course its the poor mans Porsche or so some people say and to save a few bucks hear and there on the solid updating mods is key at least imho,Jo P.S.I know my picture is abit jaded for you have to goto whole new sources ect.. ect.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 26 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #54

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I don't think it's you, it's 914s in general. They don't get driven enough for the wear items to wear out. Plus, if my ac unit poll is a good sample, half of the drivers are water pumpers now with the local parts place likely having FI parts for the newer engines on shelf. So what's left? 914 specific hard parts like door handles or ignition switches or rubber or sheet metal.
Then there is the restoration angle if you could provide rebuilt NLA parts, aftermarket NLA parts like 914rubber does, OEM parts at discount.
Performance parts is a tough sell if you don't have a fan base to sell for you.

Package deals might be a bonus. Say the bronze pedal bushing kit with the 2 pads and a gas pedal shipped for $$.

And since you asked, the rockauto catalog works really well for me. Thou I found a hydraulic clutch setup searching for clutch master n slave on amazon and looking at the pics.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 26 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #55

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 25 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Or, how about an East Coast Warehouse!

Buy my business! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though, I've been thinking about how to query the 914 community with the same question you just asked.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Nov 26 2014, 08:03 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 26 2014, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 25 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Or, how about an East Coast Warehouse!

Buy my business! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though, I've been thinking about how to query the 914 community with the same question you just asked.

This applies to both Chris and GPR-

I try to buy things late at night when I am playing on my iphone however I cannot get the Tangerine or GPR websites to work properly on the iphone. I would much rather but from either of you because of your support of 914world however I usually simply go for the easiest and quickest purchase (not necessarily the cheapest). For example- last night I made a purchase from Chris' website. I had been trying for a few days however I was never in front of a computer when I had the urge to buy. I had to make a specific trip to the computer to make the purchase.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Nov 26 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(funk @ Nov 26 2014, 12:32 AM) *

actually this is a question and a suggestion first I've been needing pistons and jugs and when I found your site you offer a set of 1976 914 p and cs for 250$ that are euro spec Mahles a great price but you don't say if they are forged or cast a particularly huge description mistake and I thought well a set for 250 must be cast but then I went to look at vw transporters (some parts are interchangeable)and found them with a set of mahle for 330 plus or minus except they do say forged and they say for a full set but they are dished pistons no interest for most Porsche engine builders so suggestion make certain description is complete and is this a full set or just one piston and one cylinder??I was uncertain when clicking on that parts section of exactly what I was clicking on. maybe update your products a bit to boot really most people who are rebuilding their motors from home at least are going with 96 mm pistons and cylinders just because you can still use stock fi ect... that that would be a trending issue.you have some great stock parts and good buys but not necessarily up to date on some of the latest mods although I do see the front sway bar set up some 914-4 headers would be nice to see at your prices hell if I was just saving 20 bucks. most of us guys are doing 914 because of course its the poor mans Porsche or so some people say and to save a few bucks hear and there on the solid updating mods is key at least imho,Jo P.S.I know my picture is abit jaded for you have to goto whole new sources ect.. ect.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Somewhere in here, I 'think' you have something to say, but the lack of punctuation and sentence structure makes it virtually incomprehensible.
+Quote Post
Steve Snyder
post Nov 26 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 9,158
Region Association: South East States

I have a nice gray GPR T-shirt that I got at Okteenerfest last year (good sponsorship there - I don't even see banner ads anymore), so was aware of your company and checked out the website a few times when looking for parts. I buy lots of stuff online and have four German cars, so it would follow that your site would be a good fit, but my experience with the site functionality is similar to what others have expressed.

For example, I need a set of 911 valve adjusters ("elephant feet") for my current Teener rebuild. I go to your site and navigate through "Porsche - 1969 - 911" and click on "V" in the parts section... and there is nothing about valves. There is also no word search for parts, only part number and VIN searches. It does not take too long to figure out that I need to be in the "E" section ("Engine valve adjustment screw"), but it is longer than I would spend looking on Pelican or other sites... and your price is 25% higher.

As others have said, the best way to overcome an inferior E-tail presence is by becoming an active member of the 914 community - innovating, answering forum questions, sponsoring Teener events, running 914World specials, etc. like Mark (914 Rubber), Chris (Tangerine) and Bruce regularly do. You may have great customer service, but I will never find that out if I don't have a good reason to call you in the first place.

This thread is a really good start.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 26 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #59

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I have a mostly non stock 914, let's call it modified. In my case, inputting my car as a 1973 Porsche 914 on your site gets me to parts I cannot use. Not completely true but since I have parts from various vehicles grafted into a 914 chassis, only your suspension stuff will be relevant to me.

I have bought from GPR, years ago and the parts shipped from Santa Maria (maybe). It does not bother me you are in Dallas but GPR is not my "go to" site for parts. Honestly, Summit Racing is my go to website since they ship from Reno, I get my parts in 2 days using UPS ground.

I do want to support the 914 community vendors and I will make an effort to look at GPR first. I do agree with the crowd that your site is not "fun" to navigate. Last time I ordered from GPR I called on the phone because I couldn't find what I needed.

Since there is a mass society trend toward anti-socializing and non personal contact, I think you need to invest in better website infrastructure to survive.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 26 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #60

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I would have to agree on the website construction. While mine is pretty ghetto and I know can use improvement. The navigation is an issue, I know I don't want to enter a bunch of info in to shop, before I'm ready to buy. That may be the biggest hurdle that I can see.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:02 PM