Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche Factory Restorations, true or wishful thinking?
fixer34
post Nov 26 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Cleaning up old emails and I came across one from several years ago from another 914 group I belonged to. It claimed that Porsche had a 'Classic' division that would do a factory restore of a car, even to the point of 'bare metal' and reproducing body panels. Back then, it seemed like it would be too expensive, but with a pristine /6 going for $70k or more...

Anyone else ever heard of this, or was it basically urban legend/old wive's tale?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
McMark
post Nov 26 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Porsche Classic is real - and they can get parts reproduced from original molds/tooling. Stuff we can only dream of.

But like anything in that category. You don't ask how much. They can't tell you, and the people who are paying won't tell you either. It's a ton. I suspect you would be SERIOUSLY upside down if you had them do a 914/6 that ended up being worth $70k.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 26 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

A few years ago someone posted several pictures here from a 914/6 bare metal resto at Porsche Classic. They had the car sitting on a Celette bench.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Nov 26 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #4

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

if you ask for the price, you can't afford (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 26 2014, 04:17 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Plus shipping and duties.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 26 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 01:56 PM) *
A few years ago someone posted several pictures here from a 914/6 bare metal resto at Porsche Classic. They had the car sitting on a Celette bench.

Turns out, that "someone" was me ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53284
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Nov 26 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2014, 01:56 PM) *

Turns out, that "someone" was me ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53284
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Believe it or not, I did not see this post before I wrote mine. It was pure coincidence.

However, if it's that expensive, I can't see why anyone would do it except maybe to be able to say they have a 'brand new' 40 year old car?
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Nov 26 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,147

It wasn't designed for our cars, but the value of a Carrera RS or a 356 only goes up if you can show that all the resto was done by the mothership. You know it was done right with all factory parts.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 26 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Seinfeld had one done there. I remember readng about in Excellence or maybe it was PCA Panorama
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For some people, dropping a couple hundred K is play money. Percentage wise, it's probably less than we spend on our cars. If I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about having Porsche rebuild my Porsche.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 26 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

I agree; if I had the money I'd prefer the factory do my restos but there is a principle (@ least to me) that's bugging me. The 914 was sold world wide but as we all know the vast majority of teeners came to the USA, & for that matter so did a lot of other models. They're the corporation & we're not, so why the hell don't they open a resto facility here? I'm already paying for the resto but why should I be subject to VAT tax? Why should I have to pay for shipping to & fro? Maybe I'm being picky but it bugs me.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 26 2014, 10:03 PM) *

I agree; if I had the money I'd prefer the factory do my restos but there is a principle (@ least to me) that's bugging me. The 914 was sold world wide but as we all know the vast majority of teeners came to the USA, & for that matter so did a lot of other models. They're the corporation & we're not, so why the hell don't they open a resto facility here? I'm already paying for the resto but why should I be subject to VAT tax? Why should I have to pay for shipping to & fro? Maybe I'm being picky but it bugs me.

Because they are Porsche and they are the ones making the rules. You have to decide if you want to play. If you think the shipping is pricey then I bet the $200/hour or whatever they charge is probably more than you are comfortable spending.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 26 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 12:13 AM) *

Because they are Porsche and they are the ones making the rules. You have to decide if you want to play. If you think the shipping is pricey then I bet the $200/hour or whatever they charge is probably more than you are comfortable spending.

I agree, but paying VAT really bugs me- it's un American in that it's taxation w/out representation. Not trying to start a political discussion here, but I'm one of those guys who really paid attention in history class.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 26 2014, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 12:13 AM) *

I agree, but paying VAT really bugs me- it's un American in that it's taxation w/out representation. Not trying to start a political discussion here, but I'm one of those guys who really paid attention in history class.

I don't think we pay it.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Nov 26 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2014, 11:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 26 2014, 10:03 PM) *

I paid more than that for my divorce attorney.

To lose that witch, worth every friggen' penny.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 26 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 12:24 AM) *

I don't think we pay it.

I did when I ordered my Hayward & Scott SSHE's for my six (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2014, 10:48 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 26 2014, 11:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 12:24 AM) *

I don't think we pay it.

I did when I ordered my Hayward & Scott SSHE's for my six (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

VAT is "sales tax" charged in europe for goods that stay in europe. If you go in person and bring it back with you = you can get the VAT refunded to you either at the airport or later on your credit card. If you mail order goods to be shipped to the USA by mail - you normally will NOT be charged VAT.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 26 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 12:48 AM) *

VAT is "sales tax" charged in europe for goods that stay in europe. If you go in person and bring it back with you = you can get the VAT refunded to you either at the airport or later on your credit card. If you mail order goods to be shipped to the USA by mail - you normally will NOT be charged VAT.

That was how I understood it but H&S sent a VAT bill to FedEx after the fact, who in turn dumped it in my lap so I paid it to avoid any litigation from FedEx. Probably should have told them to "piss off wankers" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Nov 26 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

I have read recently that Porsche is bringing their restoration business to the USA and are in process of selecting a small handful of current dealers to open Porsche Classic facilities. My money says Brumos will be one such place...stay tuned in the months ahead.
+Quote Post
eitnurg
post Nov 27 2014, 03:11 AM
Post #20

Country Member

Member No.: 62

That was how I understood it but H&S sent a VAT bill to FedEx after the fact, who in turn dumped it in my lap so I paid it to avoid any litigation from FedEx.

You should not have been charged - or paid - this. (Don't even try arguing with FedEx, they know diddeley-squat about import-export, despite being in the business).

BUT if it's a personal export - ie you take it with you - you have to pay VAT to the vendor. You then produce the goods and the bill at at the airport on departure, and get them certified. You then send the certified bill to the vendor, who then refunds you the VAT element. But I assume that as FedEx are involved, this didn't happen.

Sounds like your argument is with H&S. Either they, or FedEx, or probably both, fouled up and FedEx's "solution" was to just pass the charge on.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:42 AM