Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCA Renewal, Worth it or not?
EdwardBlume
post Nov 27 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Every time my PCA membership comes up, I debate staying in it. I do nothing with the local clubs, appreciate Pete Stout in the monthly mag and some articles. Don't relate much with the modern factory cars, and can pretty much find parts and look at cars on free sites.

What do you think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 27 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

what's a pca (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I've owned my car for 31 years and I've never heard from Porsche. Why would I send them money?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Nov 27 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To me, depends on what you're going to do with it.

If you're going to participate in any of the activities, it's worth the $$. If you're not going to participate - probably not worth the $$.

I autocross. The member discount that I get more than covers the membership.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 27 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I am a member of your PCA region. I debate it too but I think the magazine and occasional PCA discount at the dealer is worth it. Pete and staff have printed way more 914 content lately.

I have attended some of the regional events. The most fun was a weekend in Cambria. We hit some awesome roads at less than legal speeds. There was a wine tasting visit on this trip that I missed due to a tossed alternator belt. I was able to get it fixed in King City and catch up with the group later that day.

I attended the PCA Escape as the only 914 registered and won the Magnus Walker trophy. My car drew huge crowds of members telling stories and lies about their own 914 history. It was a blast.

PCA also put on autocrosses and driver education events that look like fun. I have not had my car on the track since built but I'm itching to get racing. The HPDE director keeps bugging me also.

I find the show and shine and concour events to be less attractive. For the most part it seems like a socially biased event. This may be due to the demographic of our region. The most active members are retired rich guys. It will take some younger members with greater diversity to get active to see much change.

With that said, I have one of the faster cars in the region and these guys know how to create a driving cruise that is an awesome ride. I will continue to pick and choose the events I attend. I base the decision on if my wife and I will have fun, even if we end up by ourselves.

I do still feel like an outsider at times due to the car I drive but these cars command a lot more respect than they used to. One they see how fast it is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I would encourage you to join again. Lets see if our schedules work out and each bring a 914 to the fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 27 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I like getting the Panorama magazine in the mail. It contrasts with the hundreds of f**king magazines and catalogues my fiancé gets. That, and the local chapter Pandemonium rag are something to look forward to in the mailbox. Pete Stout is a 914 guy and has included a lot more 914 stuff as mentioned above and our cars are finally getting a bit more respect. I get stopped around my town here in SoCal by people wanting to talk about the car. I am looking forward to when it is finished off a bit better.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Nov 27 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

I am the PCA rep for the province of NB in Canada, I organize an annual tour and get a little ticked at some of the PCA members who are a bit snobby. I too have the same argument with myself about renewing my membership, I haven't had any financial benefits because of distance from the dealership (3.5 hours) but I do enjoy the magazine, is that enough to cause me to renew, for now, yes. Ref. our 914,s I have noticed more curiosity and respect lately, because of the recent articles, maybe. There are some who really appreciate what a 914 really is, I have lots of time to chat with them.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 27 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Going through the same thing. I only joined a year ago. I had plans to go the the Parade in Monterey. After finding out my suby powered 914 could not participate in the AutoX at parade. I decided not to go. I see no reason to renew it. I could care less about the PCA in reality (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I'm a 914world member & thats all that matters to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Pretty soon I'll even have a badge to prove it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Nov 27 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #8

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

It is worth the money just for the Panorama. I look forward to my Panorama vs Excellence since Pete made the switch.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 27 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been a member of PCA since 1974, and cherish the friends and memories I have from the Club. Luckily, the Chicago Region has so many events, you cannot have a hard time to find something to do with the club. Also, the new Panorama format certainly caused a renewed interest in actually reading the content (though the Internet marketplaces have made the classifieds less exciting).

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 28 2014, 10:33 AM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Depends on your local region, and on you. The region members can be welcoming or offputting. Fortunately, most regions seem to realize that they should be in the first camp. And the number and kind of local events is very region-dependent, with active regions having a better chance of doing stuff that is interesting to you.

Which brings to mind the other part of the equation--YOU. Like so many other things, what you get out of PCA membership is related to what you put in. If you put more energy into the club, you will get more out of the club.

In the end, only you can tell if it is worth it to remain a PCA member. Obviously, there are people here that don't think it is for them. I have been a member since 1991, shortly after I got my first 914. My wife and I enjoy LPR events, 3even though we only get to a few each year. We've made some good friends through the club, and see no reason to bail out.

--DD
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 28 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

If for nothing else, it gives you a chance to go to the Parade and try to beat Dave Darling on the Tech Quiz! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 28 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,376

It's worth it to me. I attend numerous activities throughout the year: DEs, auto crosses, weekend drives, dinners, board meetings, baseball games, tech sessions. etc. Great bunch of people. Have also received tons of help with my cars from them.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 28 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I've been in for 25 years. The chapters around L.A. are pretty much whine and cheeze oriented, older demographic and socially focused with few or no "real" driving events. Not for me at this point but maybe in 10-20 more years, LOL.

However the Panorama mag has really upped its game with the new staff and format, plus I just used the 10% off on a 30K mile dealer service which paid for several years of membership. The classifieds are helpful once in a while too. No brainer for me.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 28 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #14

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 03:26 PM) *

I've owned my car for 31 years and I've never heard from Porsche. Why would I send them money?

It's an independent organization - the money does not go to Porsche. FYI.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 28 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #15

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2014, 02:26 PM) *

It's nothing to do with Porsche AG or NA - so you're not sending money to them, but to a club of Porsche owners.

As others have said, for the price of membership, the national Panorama magazine & your local Zone 7 or Region magazine are worth it.

In addition to the Parade, club, zone & region (local chapter) events noted above, and the 10-20% dealer parts discounts which they offer from time to time (some dealerships will all year long) - & Porsche is coming out with some repop factory 914 stuff like the 901 5-speed shift knobs - there are also special bennies to members.

One I like is the club corral at the Coronado Speedfest historic races down in the San Diego area held on the North Island USNAS airfield, where club members get to park in the c lub corrals just behind/next to the grandstands & the SD Region hosts a great hospitality tent with food & drinks! Similarly at the Calif. Festival of Speed at the Ontario Speedway (AutoClub SW now).

We also had a private-club-only tour in conjunction with the 356 Club to the private Malmut Auto Museum last spring, as well as to the Peterson & others in past years.

We also have several breakfast & dinner get togethers & driving tours or gimmick rallies with the club every month too, the AX & concours at the regions around the zone, DE day & club racing at the Willow Springs & Buttonwillow tracks (fun to just observe & my son loved watching AX when home on leave last July), & other stuff.

I'm sure there are similar things up there in the Bay Area Rob, so it's up to you how much or how little you do.

IMHO personally think it would be cool to enter "Dad's 914" in a few concours - even if just Wash-&-Shine level - just as a tribute to him & your work restoring his car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Email me if you want to do a little inter-zone CW too - or look online at the Zone 8 Events under Concours - cuz we do our OC one on the bluffs above Dana Point harbor/beach, & LA is doing theirs now at the Santa Monica Air Museum.

My 2 cents! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 28 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

The Golden Gate region is very active and i enjoy the occasional AX runs with them.

I spent more money on booze in a week than i spent on PCA dues in a year ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 28 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #17

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was a member for several years but couldn't participate. All but 5 events this year were Saturdays and I work Saturdays. 2 of the 5 on Sunday were charity events to raise money. There is a very active PCA race and auto cross group here but I don't do either. I did enjoy the magazine but decided to not reup this year.

If there were more Sunday drives or regional tours I world probably join again. And I got a cool window sticker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
X911IC
post Nov 28 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,026

Rob, Just renewed and purchased raffle tickets for drawing on Jan 1. A buddy bought two tickets last year and won the 50th anniversary edition 911 plus $25000 for taxes. I figure if he can win so can I!!!! Plus, I love reading the magazine. Cheap entertainment at $40. Just my two cents.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 28 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,732

Been a member for 43+ years, joined right after I got the 914. Just when the 914 was coming out, some in the club didn't think they qualified to be in the club. I wrote a letter to Pano telling them what I thought of that, but luckily most in the club didn't go along with that thought. And it just made it more sweet when I'd beat a 911 in an autocross back in the early '70's!
Many of my best friends over the years are people I met in the club and it's various activities.
My dad and I got to meet Dr. Porsche and 3 of his sons at our first Parade in 1972. My dad spoke German and had an extended conversation with him while I stood by speechless... got PCA to thank for that!!
It is what you put into it...
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Nov 28 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #20

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

We should form the RCA. Rust Club of America.

914's without rust are not welcome. Note: All 914's will be welcome and you know why.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:43 PM