Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2015 20th Anniversary Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Photo Thread + 914 World Member Meet and Drive to the Concours, Let's caravan with pride in our ride! Meet itinerary post#59 / Concours photo content begins pg3 / Please RSVP for Meet + Breakfast and Drive post#110
scotty b
post Mar 13 2015, 06:45 AM
Post #141

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

guys....let me be the potential asshole here. There seems to be a lot of animosity about no 4's in this show and I think a lot of you are misinformed about what the Concourse is about. The show is the rarest of ALL makes. This is not about mass produced public cars. You will NOT be seeing any perfect 1965 Mustangs with 283's in them, you will NOT be seeing any perfect 1968 camaro's with a 350 in them etc.This is not about the overall condition of any and all cars, it is about the oddballs, the uber rare, the uber pricey cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Mar 13 2015, 06:56 AM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2015, 08:45 AM) *

guys....let me be the potential asshole here. There seems to be a lot of animosity about no 4's in this show and I think a lot of you are misinformed about what the Concourse is about. The show is the rarest of ALL makes. This is not about mass produced public cars. You will NOT be seeing any perfect 1965 Mustangs with 283's in them, you will NOT be seeing any perfect 1968 camaro's with a 350 in them etc.This is not about the overall condition of any and all cars, it is about the oddballs, the uber rare, the uber pricey cars.

That makes sense.
+Quote Post
shadygrady
post Mar 13 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #143

Member No.: 4,400

We are here and that green 914 is all that is here. The receptionist says there are other cars at museum but it is not open to public. And it is at the Mercedes dealership across road. Is anyone else here and know how to get in to look at the cars, or do we twiddle our thumbs until tonight. I guess we could go to Amelia island and get our concours ticket and test drive some cars.

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 12 2015, 02:51 PM) *

Here's a tease... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Ever wonder what a brand new 914 looks like? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Pics coming soon.

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 13 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #144

rust free you say ?

you're not getting into the museum. They are having a paid Porsche event there right now. Tickets are long sold out. I had one but decided not to go since Drevil made it down

Head over the the goodings auction at the Omni. The preview is open. Costs 20.00 or 30.00 bucks to get in, but well worth it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
shadygrady
post Mar 13 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 4,400

Where is Goodings auction?

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2015, 06:28 AM) *

you're not getting into the museum. They are having a paid Porsche event there right now. Tickets are long sold out. I had one but decided not to go since Drevil made it down

Head over the the goodings auction at the Omni. The preview is open. Costs 20.00 or 30.00 bucks to get in, but well worth it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 13 2015, 07:40 AM
Post #146

rust free you say ?

the Omni hotel right down from the Ritz.

You can ( and I would highly recommend ) pick up your concourse tickets today at the Ritz, then drive down the road to the Omni. The auction tents are pretty obvious from the main road. Parking is going to start getting bad today, and will get worse the rest of the weekend so be prepared to walk.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 07:50 AM
Post #147

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 12 2015, 08:42 PM) *

Tommy, do you know how many 914s are in the C&C Saturday? How many are driving over with you? Just curious about the 914 showing. I am a little disappointed there aren't any 4s in the Councours Sunday.

I know there's a handful of them, /4's and /6's. Whomever is coming from here and there's a handful of them locally. A white /6 and signal orange /6with a later 911 engine in particular are very nice if they come. And my LE.

In regards to the thought on a /4 not being in the Concours Sunday event, I don't know that for sure. I am not sure if that list is complete. It looks like it goes alphabetically and there will be TONS of Porsches there, vintage, classic, racers, etc. BELIEVE me. So this list may not be complete.

Also, the idea of the Concours main event is, for the most part, to have the unattainable cars. Now for example, a couple years ago you had the 50th anniversary of the 911 and the Corvette. There was a large collection of Vettes, especially C2 Corvettes ('63 split window is my favorite). Many of them were race cars, pristine examples (like new cars), etc. So I would be surprised a pristine /4 would not be there. But generally, it's the rarest of the rare and most historically significant, not just a nice example. (914/8, the #40 914/6 GT Le Mans, #59 914/6 GT, etc.). So it cold go either way.

A nice /4 for the show would be the one in Brumos' showroom right now. It's a new car (okay, it has a whopping 4,200 miles on it from moving it back and forth from the museum to the showroom. It actually just happened to be in the showroom last when I bought my VW GLI VR6 from there years ago, along with a 914/6 GT). This car is mint. I am going to upload pics of it here soon. But an all original, low miles /4 is what I would expect to see if I see a /4.

In regards to sales, yes the /4 was not only better selling, but it was the top selling model in Porsche's history up until then. But it was only because of the price, and also why the /6 suffered (we all know the story of the contracted fallout between VW and Porsche which caused /6 costs to soar, almost as much as the base 911T). Yet the only complaint people had about the /4 is that it lacked power. So the /6 would have been the better selling car should the price point be where it was originally intended. In all, it's irrelevant as to which sold better. It's not a reason to have one example over another. Something like the Porsche family's one off 914/8 prototype and a 916 and the #40, etc. are historic and one offs. Those are significantly more... well, significant.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #148

LUFTBRIGADE

It's a GORGEOUS day in NE FL today! 75, sunny and breezy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you're headed to the Concrous, here's your schedule for the day, including our 914 World Member meetup at Ovinte tonight!

And tomorrow morning, the Member Meet/Breakfast and Drive to The Concours in the morning and The 914 Experience East Coast Beach Party at Jacksonville Beach after the Cars and Coffee at The Concours!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

MEMBER MEETUP TONIGHT!
FRIDAY 13 March
914 World Member Cocktails and Conversation Evening Out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Ovinte
10208 Buckhead Branch Dr, Jacksonville, FL 32246
7 PM - 10 PM
Ovinte is a nice indoor/outdoor wine bar and lounge (wine, beer, liquor, tapas) at the St. John's Town Center. Cocktails, conversation and comradery and ladies in slinky cocktail dresses oogling over our cars. Or at least us pretending they are. Got a 914 shirt? Wear it!

At The Concours:
FRIDAY, MARCH 13, 2015

The Porsche Driving Experience
7 a.m.
Departs from the Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport. Driver’s meeting at 7 a.m. Activities to include a high-speed ride in the latest Porsche and an entrant participation autocross.
$220 per car (2 people included). Open to the Public – Reservations Required: www.ameliaconcours.org
*Ownership of a Porsche is not required. Must be 18 years of age to participate in the high-speed experience portion of the event.

Passport Transport Eight Flags Road Tour
8:30 a.m.
Departs from The Ritz-Carlton main driveway. The tour stops at various points on and around Amelia Island and concludes with a public display and lunch in downtown Fernandina Beach.
Open to Concours Registered Vehicles Only

The Shop at the Concours
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Santa Maria 1

Test Drives – Various Manufacturers
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton & The Golf Club of Amelia Island, Front Driveway
Complimentary

Automobilia and Luxury Lifestyle Merchants
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
Open to Public

RM Sotheby's Amelia Island Sale Preview
10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Ocean Front Lawn
For more information: www.rmauctions.com or call (800) 211-4371 or (519) 352-4575
Open to Public

The Amelia Island Concours Silent Auction
10:00 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island Plaza 1

Book Signings
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island Talbot Pre-Function

Design DNA of Iconic Cars Seminar
3 p.m.
Designers from General Motors, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche will discuss the responsibility of the design team to maintain the DNA as new cars are designed and developed.
Poster signing to follow
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Talbot Ballroom
$30 per person –Tickets can be purchased online www.ameliaconcours.org or at the door on the day of the event. Open to the Public. Limited Seating.

RM Sotheby's Amelia Island Sale Reception
7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Grand Ballroom
For more information, email Lauren Udzbinac at lauren@rmauctions.com or call
(800) 211-4371 or (519) 352-4575
Registered Bidders Only

duPont Registry Live Aeroport Reception (click here for more details)
7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
The Fernandina Beach Airport
$125 per person. For more information, please call Tim Webber at (407) 649-9190

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #149

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 5 2015, 06:46 PM) *

PLEASE RSVP if you are attending the 914 caravan Saturday morning for the Member Meet + Breakfast and Drive to The Concours so we have an idea of how many and who to expect. RSVPs will be listed in this post #110. Thanks!

Click link below for the entire Saturday schedule (post #59):
The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Cars and Coffee 914 World Meet + Breakfast and Drive to The Concours + East Coast Beach Party Schedule:

Schedule for the Meet + Breakfast and Drive to The Concours:

WHAT: Member Meetup / Pre-coffee coffee
WHERE: My home (PM me for address)
WHEN: 4:30 AM - 5:05 AM
The starting point for the day, where we will first meet, hang out and gather together as a group.

WHAT: Member Breakfast
WHERE: IHOP 8400 Baymeadows Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256
WHEN: 5:10 AM - 6:00 AM

WHAT: Member Drive to the Concours
WHERE: IHOP 8400 Baymeadows Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256
WHEN: 6:00 AM SHARP immediately after breakfast. The drive is 45 min/1 hour pretty, coastal and winding drive up Heckscher Drive to Amelia.

Member Meet + Breakfast and Drive to The Concours Attendees thus far:

- tumamilhem
- Eric_Shea
- Jaime Mejia
- vw_porsche
- ClayPerrine
- 57lincolnman
- 914Next

Here's the schedule and RSVPs thus far for the Member Meet/Breakfast and Drive to The Concours tomorrow morning! If anybody else is planning on coming, let me know!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #150

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 12 2015, 09:29 PM) *

Acceptance to the Concourse is more about who know, less about the car...

Also keep in mind that the 914 is not the only featured marque - just one of several. Therefore it is not their intention to have a good representation of the 914 line, just a few examples. I also find it interesting that their website makes no mention of the featured marques, it's buried down in the news link. So what does all this really mean?

But I do feel it is a shame that the bread and butter of the model is not represented.

None the less we would be there no matter the featured marques - well worth the 10 hour drive any year.

I can understand how you feel, but I have to disagree somewhat. Bill Warner can get cars that nobody else can. His contacts are amazing. He looks years ahead for future shows and looks for extraordinarily significant cars. One last year that is one of my favorite cars was my favorite Lamborghini, several Miuras including the 2nd one made (oldest one in existence) and a one off roofless one. Only one made. It was incredible.

It's not really who you know, it's who he knows. I'm good friends and neighbors with his personal assistant. He's told me a lot about how all this works. I may know Bill Warner, but that's not getting me into the Concours. He is looking for specific, very special cars that are practically unattainable. Which is why Amelia Island is considered to be one of the top two and by many the top, classic car show in the world.

You'll see. Whatever you expect, prepare to be completely overwhelmed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #151

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2015, 08:45 AM) *

Yep. You'll even see a Jolly there. lol
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:10 AM
Post #152

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(shadygrady @ Mar 13 2015, 09:23 AM) *

We are here and that green 914 is all that is here. The receptionist says there are other cars at museum but it is not open to public. And it is at the Mercedes dealership across road. Is anyone else here and know how to get in to look at the cars, or do we twiddle our thumbs until tonight. I guess we could go to Amelia island and get our concours ticket and test drive some cars.

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 12 2015, 02:51 PM) *

Here's a tease... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Ever wonder what a brand new 914 looks like? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Pics coming soon.

My friend can get me in. He's one of Brumos' top salesman and has been with them for decades. He told me anytime I want to go, to just let him know. His wife works with me at my job too. She's my "work wife". lol

They have a number of 914s in the museum. Some of which will be at the show (Hurley Haywood's Brumos #59 914/6 GT for example). But you can't get into it this weekend to browse around (ever really, only if you know someone, but unless they have an event, everything is covered up anyway). There are events going on there, so unless you have a ticket to one of those or are invited, there are planned events.

I must have just missed you! I was there in the afternoon! I'm planning on being there this afternoon as well to meet up with Eric.

Hope to see you at the Member gathering at Ovinte tonight! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:13 AM
Post #153

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2015, 09:40 AM) *

the Omni hotel right down from the Ritz.

You can ( and I would highly recommend ) pick up your concourse tickets today at the Ritz, then drive down the road to the Omni. The auction tents are pretty obvious from the main road. Parking is going to start getting bad today, and will get worse the rest of the weekend so be prepared to walk.

You can also get your tickets still for $80 at the Brumos dealerships instead of driving up to Amelia Island. And better to get them early than the day of! $100 and a LINE!

Porsche I don't think has any left. I got one of the last ones and they were holding it there for me. But Brumos Mercedes and Lexus across the street has some as do all the other Brumos dealerships.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 13 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #154

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2015, 05:45 AM) *

Thank you bringing some of us back down to earth, I too was feeling "left out" but what you wrote makes 100% sense!

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #155

LUFTBRIGADE

So if you've ever wondered what a brand new 914 looked like (and I don't mean restored new, but showroom new), here you go. A bit over 4,000 original miles from driving it back and forth from the museum, this fully loaded (except read defrost window and passenger side mirror) 1974 Irish Green 2.0 is - literally - showroom new.

Some interesting things to notice:

1. Tires - see the tread pattern? These are OG tires, 41 years old!
2. Gauges - let this debate be put to rest. My LE - same year, engine and time, was made on 14 February 1974. It originally came with black dot centers. Yet there was a SLIGHT crossover that early, EARLY 1974 914s carried over the early silver dot center gauges. This is one of them. A '74 with original silver dot gauges.
3. Don't know how to start the car? Just read the instructions on the original sticker still on the ash tray, dummy!
- Sit Down
- Buckle Up
- Turn Key
4. I've only seen one of these ever, and I finally found one and put it on my car, being very stringent on keeping my LE as original and OG as I can - see the interior light between the seats? White switch - not black.

Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
Post #156

LUFTBRIGADE

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
Post #157

LUFTBRIGADE

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 13 2015, 08:51 AM
Post #158

LUFTBRIGADE

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And for the registry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 13 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #159

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very cool. Thanks for the pics. If it was mine, I would drive it. Lots!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 13 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #160

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Enjoy everyone down there!!!
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 11:51 AM