Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2015 20th Anniversary Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Photo Thread + 914 World Member Meet and Drive to the Concours, Let's caravan with pride in our ride! Meet itinerary post#59 / Concours photo content begins pg3 / Please RSVP for Meet + Breakfast and Drive post#110
tumamilhem
post Feb 28 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #61

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

Since you guys don't live here and likely don't have a copy of this months First Coast Magazine (a magazine showcasing NorthEast Florida), I thought I'd share this with you.

This month's issue is dedicated to the 20th Anniversary of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance - which includes an article showcasing this year's featured and honored car - the Porsche 914

First Coast Magazine
February 2015

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is the full article. You may also find it online here: First Coast Magazine article: Porsche 914 - Born Under a Fast Sign

Porsche 914 - Born Under a Fast Sign

Attached Image
- A factory-entered Porsche 914/6 finished third in the 1971 Monte Carlo Rally

Porsche’s 914 began life in the late 1960s as a joint project between corporate cousins Porsche and Volkswagen. The economies of scale and the well-established engineering expertise of the famous German sports car maker made for a natural partnership.

Volkswagen required a sporty two-seater to replace the aging Karmann Ghia. Porsche needed something worthy of the Porsche crest but much less expensive than its well established six-cylinder 911.

The project was given to Dr. Porsche’s grandson, Ferdinand Piech. At the time Piech had other pressing corporate engineering responsibilities. He was creating a monster.

After two decades of being the king of road racing’s undercard, of being the gutsy underdog and more often than not the giant killer, Porsche was ready to fight for sports car racing’s ultimate prize: outright victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Herr Engineer Piech was their point man.

That a colossus like Porsche’s 917 could simultaneously occupy the same intellect as the civilized Porsche 914 sports car seems peculiar. But both the 917 and the 914 carried their engines behind the driver as pure race car engineering orthodoxy demanded.

Attached Image
- Gerard Larousse and Jean-Claude Perramond in the #1 914/6 from the 1971 Monte Carlo Rally

The 917 debuted a year after the 914 arrived in showrooms, and served notice at Le Mans that the rules writers of international sports car racing had left a huge loophole in the paragraphs about engine displacement and production numbers. The 917 packed a monster 4.5 liter air-cooled flat-12 that made enough power to blast through the loophole and shove the 917 down the Le Mans’ Mulsanne straight at something over 230 mph.

The 914 was powered by an air and oil cooled flat-four, that many Porsche purists and 911 disciples called a Volkswagen. But the Porsche family stamp was plain to see in the engine bays of both cars.

Perhaps that’s why something unexpected happened to the 914. There was some sort of cross pollination that invested the little mid-engine two-seat 914 with the Targa top – especially the 914/6, the model with the flat-six engine from Porsche’s iconic 911 – with some competition DNA from the mighty Le Mans-winning 917.

In 1970, the doomsday 917 delivered by winning Le Mans outright for Porsche for the first time. A few canny Le Mans observers noted that that a Porsche 914/6 placed sixth overall and was first among all the Grand Touring cars – even the bigger and more powerful Ferraris and Corvettes. The 914/6 even outran the best 911 by three laps, or 25 miles.

In less than a year the 914 established a blood tie to Florida’s First Coast, when Brumos Porsche’s Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood won the first IMSA GT race at Virginia International Raceway driving a tangerine-colored Porsche 914/6 GT (the same color as the 1970 Le Mans winner).

Behind the wheel of a Porsche, Haywood went on to win Le Mans three times, the 24 Hours of Daytona five times and the 12 Hours of Sebring twice. And it all started in the 914/6 GT, a racecar that still wears the same war paint it did in April 1971 at Virginia International Raceway.

Just after 9:30 AM on Sunday March 15, 2015, the most extraordinary collection of rare, unusual and in some cases, downright exotic, Porsche 914s will take to the fairways of the 20th annual Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. The rarest of the rare 914s, the eight-cylinder 914/8 made for Herr Piech himself, will join Hurley Haywood’s 1971 IMSA Championship-winner and the 1972 Troutman & Barnes 914 custom pick-up truck on Amelia’s show field. A dozen outstanding Porsche 914s from around the world will assemble the first 914 exhibit at an international concours at Amelia.

It all started nearly five decades ago when a 12-cylinder Le Mans-winning monster and an agile, civilized sports car were born into a nice Bavarian family.

Attached Image
- Brumos' Peter Gregg hard on the brakes in his 914/6 GT at Sebring 1971

Attached Image
- George Larousse and Jean-Claude Perramond 914/6 in the 1971 Monte Carlo Rally

Attached Image
- Victory at Daytona: Jacques Duval, Bob Bailey and George Nicholas beat all the 911s in their 914/6 GT to win the 2.5 liter GT class placing seventh overall in the 1971 24 Hours

Attached Image
- A silver Porsche 916, there are only eleven in the world
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 28 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

We will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We'd be up for getting together Friday or Saturday evening. I am not bringing a 914 and will probably not be up at 5 am for breakfast and the drive Saturday. But we'll see you at the C&C. We will also be photographing cars for upcoming issues of the magazine.

The - Save the 914 - shirts are done and almost all of them have been shipped out. I hope everybody will be wearing them at the event. If you didn't order one in the GB, I still have some extras - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248231

See you at Amelia.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 28 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #63

LUFTBRIGADE

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
somd914
post Feb 28 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Driving down from Maryland Friday morning, if Scotty B puts on a get together in the afternoon, we'll drop by on the way to Jax. Not sure if I'm bringing my Suby or 911 - travel partners plans are still up in the air. The 914 is definitely out I hate to say - have to return right after the concourse Sunday afternoon - just not comfortable enough for this old man to drive 1,500 miles in 72 hours with a couple of late nights and early mornings in there.

Staying with friends about 5 miles north of tumamilhem, taking a 914-6 and two 356s from there, but will be on our own schedule, so although close by, we won't be attending the drive or post C and C activities, sorry. Perhaps our paths will cross on the drive up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 28 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #65

LUFTBRIGADE

Some of the very special 914s that you will see it the 2015 20th Anniversary of The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance:

The bad-ass mac daddy of all 914s - The 300 bhp 1969 Porsche 914/8 (one of two factory /8s made) that was a prototype before the start of production in 1969. This 914/8 resides in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, DE. You know it well. It will be at Amelia. Ironically, my friend Tiger just sent me 30 minutes ago a picture of a 914 at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart (he's there visiting there). He told me "the red car" I told him about isn't there. I told him because it was here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The 914/6 GT that won it's class in LeMans in 1970, and 6th place overall - beating out every single 911. The legendary #40 Porsche 914/6 GT.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The car that first made Hurley Haywood famous, Porsche's most legendary racecar driver based here out of Jacksonville, FL and raced for Brumos Racing alongside Peter Gregg. Hurley's first racecar, his first professional race and his first win as a professional racecar driver, was in the Brumos #59 Porsche 914/6 GT. That will also be there.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Only eleven 916s were made (all in 1972). Intended for production, which it never did, the 916 never saw a dealership. Well, except for one. While most are owned within the Porsche family with just a couple outside, the only one that came to America. It was delivered here in Jacksonville to Brumos owner and legendary Brumos Racing driver Peter Gregg. It was much later purchased from the Brumos Museum by George Hussey, it's current owner and owner of Auto Atlanta. Most 916s are owned within the Porsche family, a couple outside, and most are in restoration. Except for George's 916, which is at Amelia.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 28 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #66

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 28 2015, 05:54 PM) *

Driving down from Maryland Friday morning, if Scotty B puts on a get together in the afternoon, we'll drop by on the way to Jax. Not sure if I'm bringing my Suby or 911 - travel partners plans are still up in the air. The 914 is definitely out I hate to say - have to return right after the concourse Sunday afternoon - just not comfortable enough for this old man to drive 1,500 miles in 72 hours with a couple of late nights and early mornings in there.

Staying with friends about 5 miles north of tumamilhem, taking a 914-6 and two 356s from there, but will be on our own schedule, so although close by, we won't be attending the drive or post C and C activities, sorry. Perhaps our paths will cross on the drive up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Who are your friends with the 914/6s and the 356s? Maybe I know them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 28 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #67

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I may try and catch up with some of you Sat, but not at 5 a.m. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) We kind of have our own schedule we go by each year. I consider this to be my vacation, so I like to keep it a loose/unscheduled weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 28 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #68

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve Snyder
post Feb 28 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 9,158

My '74 will also be in the C&C on Saturday, but we are staying north of Amelia Island (actually in Georgia)... because I live north of Amelia Island (actually in North Carolina) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll PM you my contact info so that we can work out a meeting place/time Saturday morning so we can park together at the event. Of course, I also plan to be at the Friday beach gathering discussed in Eric's cross country thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Feb 28 2015, 10:45 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 11,165

I will be there but will be with family. If you see someone walking around with a 914 shirt on, introduce yourself it might be me.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 1 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #71

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

We get in late Thursday night.

Betty and I will be in a rental Mustang (I told Betty I did NOT want an SUV).

We will see everyone Friday night at the restaurant in Jacksonville.

We are staying very close to your house, so we plan on being up and moving meet up at I-hop at 5am Saturday morning. Don't expect us to be completely conscious... that is 4 am at home.

We also plan on being there for the Beach party Saturday afternoon/night.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone!

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 1 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #72

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Feb 28 2015, 10:03 PM) *

My '74 will also be in the C&C on Saturday, but we are staying north of Amelia Island (actually in Georgia)... because I live north of Amelia Island (actually in North Carolina) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll PM you my contact info so that we can work out a meeting place/time Saturday morning so we can park together at the event. Of course, I also plan to be at the Friday beach gathering discussed in Eric's cross country thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

what's the Friday beach gathering? I was going to have a gathering Friday evening at Ovinte and have a beach bar gathering after the cars and coffee on Saturday.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 1 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #73

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 1 2015, 02:05 PM) *

We get in late Thursday night.

Betty and I will be in a rental Mustang (I told Betty I did NOT want an SUV).

We will see everyone Friday night at the restaurant in Jacksonville.

We are staying very close to your house, so we plan on being up and moving meet up at I-hop at 5am Saturday morning. Don't expect us to be completely conscious... that is 4 am at home.

We also plan on being there for the Beach party Saturday afternoon/night.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone!

Great! yeah I know its early. But it's only because we have to be there by 7:15 a.m. to get our cars in. Remember there's about 300 cars that are going to be there at the same time waiting to get in and it's an hour drive. We just go to bed early the night before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 1 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #74

rust free you say ?

what's the Friday beach gathering? I was going to have a gathering Friday evening at Ovinte and have a beach bar gathering after the cars and coffee on Saturday.

I've got a condo on the beach in Fernandina. Eric and I had been talking about doing something there friday night, either at the condo, or preferably on the beach. We had loosely talked about dinner in the historic area then heading out to the beach.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 1 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #75

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How's "Saturday" sound? It may give a few more people time to get in town.

Jaime is now along for the ride so we will have a "killer" documentary out of this whole deal.

Kickstarter campaign is alive and well and we'll need your help gang.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/498249...nce-documentary
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 1 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #76

rust free you say ?

So Friday night at Tuma's place and Saturday at the beach ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Fine with me either way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 1 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #77

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 1 2015, 06:02 PM) *

So Friday night at Tuma's place and Saturday at the beach ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Fine with me either way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ovinte is close to my house (10 mins) at the Town Center. I thought it might be more entertaining to go out than come to my house on Friday evening. Saturday we meet at my house to gather, then go to breakfast before driving up. There are some cool spots next to each other in Jacksonville Beach we can hit Saturday on the beach after C&C as most will be staying in Jacksonville.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 1 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #78

LUFTBRIGADE

What do you look like? If you're coming, post a picture of yourself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Tommy Williams and "Valentine"

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
db9146
post Mar 1 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 3,315

My wife and I are driving down from Atlanta Friday and staying with my uncle in Jacksonville and then all three of us are coming to the Cars and Coffee. I'm still thinking about attending the concours. Should be great!
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 1 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though we won't have our car with us, here's a photo of me with my wife Julie. Looking forward to seeing some folks in person.Attached Image
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:02 PM