Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GB & GC Engine, Why big BHP difference
DavidSweden
post Dec 10 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

I was wondering why there was such a big difference between the GB and GC engine break horse power.

Anyone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 10 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 10 2014, 12:31 PM) *

I was wondering why there was such a big difference between the GB and GC engine break horse power.

Anyone?

Others here, who are far more qualified than I, will be able to answer this. But, GB is Euro, right? GC, USA. Smog control is my guess. Also possible detuning?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 10 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 10 2014, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 10 2014, 12:31 PM) *

Anyone?

Others here, who are far more qualified than I, will be able to answer this. But, GB is Euro, right? GC, USA. Smog control is my guess. Also possible detuning?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Yup, Steve guessed right - it's smog controlled.

That was a big reason why back in 1975 & graduated college & with a steady job (74 grad year was still recession & layoffs) - that I opted for a used 3 year old 73 914-2.0 at $4700, over the new 75 & 76 GC powered 914-2.0's on the dealer lots - even though my monthly payment was a bout the same due to a longer term (used 80% LTV for 36 mos. vs. 100% 5 yr/60 mos.) on the more expensive $7-8k new ones.

From 73-76 you'll also see an even bigger HP drop on CA vs. "49 state" vs. ROW 1.7, 1.8 & 2.0 motors & in 75-76 they added the Crap-alytic Converter to CA 914s - further lowering them over 49-state/ROW.

This was all smog control induced detuning.

CA buyers should note that DMV/CARB still require smog checks biannually & all equipment on 76> MY, whereas <75 are exempt from checks (technically they should still have their smog equipment intact.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 10 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The way I understand it the GA is the detuned US w/ "no smog", GB is the higher compression euro engine & the GC is the detuned US "smog" engine w/ the least amount of bhp. The difference in bhp between the GA vs. the GB is 5 bhp. No idea what the bhp on the GC engine is but it's less than the GA.

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:59 PM