Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru conversion help needed
mgp4591
post Dec 14 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 14 2014, 03:01 PM) *

It has a 4.44 Legacy Transmission. That's all I know.
Should I hold onto the inner cv's or are they different for a manual.

I've heard (famous last words) that the Legacy and SVX trans are the same except for the final drive. They're a 4EA automatic and they went bad in the SVX because the torque of the 3.3 coupled with the weight of that car with AWD was too much for it to handle without better cooling. I have a piggyback TCU and an auxiliary cooler I'll be using on mine- just wanna see how well it works. I've driven rnellums 3.0 Subie conversion with the 5 speed (very generous, Thank you Ross!) and it's the total package, really! I just want to go sideways for awhile... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 14 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 14 2014, 04:33 PM) *
I've driven rnellums 3.0 Subie conversion with the 5 speed (very generous, Thank you Ross!) and it's the total package, really! I just want to go sideways for awhile... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Wow, he does that? Very cool, so do I. You can't really tell people about it, words fail, and I tend to get so enthusiastic that I could understand if people get skeptical, like you're trying to sell them something. Giving them a ride is good but there's NOTHING like just giving them the keys and letting them drive it. No questions after that. None. It's fun.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 15 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #23

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 14 2014, 06:25 PM) *

I've driven rnellums 3.0 Subie conversion with the 5 speed (very generous, Thank you Ross!) and it's the total package, really! I just want to go sideways for awhile... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Wow, he does that? Very cool, so do I. You can't really tell people about it, words fail, and I tend to get so enthusiastic that I could understand if people get skeptical, like you're trying to sell them something. Giving them a ride is good but there's NOTHING like just giving them the keys and letting them drive it. No questions after that. None. It's fun.

The weight of a passenger added into our "power to weight ratio" formula reduces that by about a 8-10%. Mine will go sideways with a passenger but it is much more pronounced if solo.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 15 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #24

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I wish I'd gone with a Subaru 6cyl in my conversion. The turbo is going to be fun, but I'd be done by now if I'd gone the 6 route. The intercooler is my biggest issue right now.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 15 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 73

I spent an hour in and around Bob's (BIGKAT_83's) EZ30D car on Saturday. What a great car that is. Perfectly balanced. You could drive it anywhere. Temp needle never moved.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 15 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 15 2014, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 14 2014, 06:25 PM) *

The weight of a passenger added into our "power to weight ratio" formula reduces that by about a 8-10%. Mine will go sideways with a passenger but it is much more pronounced if solo.

He was riding shotgun- no fool he! And I didn't mean sideways like tire burning sideways, I'm just modifying the SVX auto trans because I've got it and it's one thing less I have to deal with before WCR. I may end up with a 5 or 6 speed manual but for now I want to do something I haven't heard of before. Who knows- I might even like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 15 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #27

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 14 2014, 07:25 PM) *

You are spot on! Plus it's fun to watch the look on their faces. The kicker is that you aren't ever afraid of anything breaking down ( at least I don't let it bother me) because even if they waste a 5mt, you are really only out 100$ and an afternoon!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 15 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 15 2014, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 14 2014, 07:25 PM) *

You are spot on! Plus it's fun to watch the look on their faces. The kicker is that you aren't ever afraid of anything breaking down ( at least I don't let it bother me) because even if they waste a 5mt, you are really only out 100$ and an afternoon!

let me know where to find the $100, or even $200 5mt trans. I'm clueless for this part. thanks.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 16 2014, 05:46 AM
Post #29

Professional Enthusiast

You can find the older (weaker) ones in the junkyard no problem. I'm Denver that's about 125 with clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and state. I also bought a 2003 2.5 rs transmission off craigs for 200.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 16 2014, 06:43 AM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 16 2014, 06:46 AM) *

You can find the older (weaker) ones in the junkyard no problem. I'm Denver that's about 125 with clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and state. I also bought a 2003 2.5 rs transmission off craigs for 200.

I'm clueless about trans. Will have to have someone help me find one. I would like it to be complete. Budget build.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 16 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #31

Professional Enthusiast

If you can weld you can make your own FWD lockout too and save some dough. I also make my own transmission block off plate too out of diamond plate.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 16 2014, 07:14 AM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 16 2014, 08:05 AM) *

If you can weld you can make your own FWD lockout too and save some dough. I also make my own transmission block off plate too out of diamond plate.

i dont weld. coldwater will supply those parts. I already bought one of Ian's engine cradles and trans mounts from a member here.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 16 2014, 09:01 AM
Post #33

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 16 2014, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 16 2014, 08:05 AM) *

i dont weld.

And just why the Hell not. Go by a welder and get started! That's the way most of us have done it. Your no different. I've heard that even Dr. Evil can weld. Seriously Epps, after a few minutes you'll be tack welding and shortly there after laying beads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 16 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wait wait wait? A 4.44 trany? Did someone do a tranny swap? They must have! The bigger problem with the svx autos was the final gear ratio was to low and the fluid did flow at a high enough rate to cool properly. Final ratio was like 3.90.
The 4.44 trany would be preferable. Is the tranny in you svx a manual?

It to bad you live on the other coast, I have a 2000 5speed I got just to measure the insides. I would almost give it to you.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 17 2014, 07:11 AM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 16 2014, 11:26 PM) *

Wait wait wait? A 4.44 trany? Did someone do a tranny swap? They must have! The bigger problem with the svx autos was the final gear ratio was to low and the fluid did flow at a high enough rate to cool properly. Final ratio was like 3.90.
The 4.44 trany would be preferable. Is the tranny in you svx a manual?

It to bad you live on the other coast, I have a 2000 5speed I got just to measure the insides. I would almost give it to you.

It had a trany swap but it's an auto
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 17 2014, 07:46 AM
Post #36

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Is the 6 from the svx the same one that came in the Legacy with the H6 badging?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 17 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 73

That trans is valuable to SVX guys if it's the upgraded one....4.44 rings a bell... You could sell it on SVXWorld or subaru-SVX.net. The rear diff is probably upgraded as well if it was done correctly so you need to check that. They need to be sold as a pair.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 17 2014, 08:14 AM
Post #38

Do you intend to use an automatic? When I was trying to find just Subaru inner CV joints (part number 28392FE020) that same inner CV was used in both manual and automatic transmissions. I was interested in applications, what cars would have the CV's (DOJ's) I needed, so I didn't look further, but that should mean that an automatic transmission's axles would be adaptable, interchangeable with manual transmissions. You'll need to check to confirm all that, but if you can use manual transmission inner CV's that should make fitting an automatic a bit easier. Check that CV number at some place like parts.com to see all the applications.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 17 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 17 2014, 05:46 AM) *

Is the 6 from the svx the same one that came in the Legacy with the H6 badging?

No, the SVX engine is the EG33, the later Legacy engines are the EZ30, which is a really nice engine in itself, more modern with chain driven cams and only an inch longer than the four cylinders motors. It has almost WRX horsepower with a naturally aspirated engine... plus it's plentiful and cheap.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 17 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #40

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

so…the EZ30 would be a direct application for my 97' legacy wagon? for a rather big car the 2.5 moves well. how cheap is cheap?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:01 PM