Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru conversion help needed
rnellums
post Dec 17 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #41

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 17 2014, 07:23 AM) *

so…the EZ30 would be a direct application for my 97' legacy wagon? for a rather big car the 2.5 moves well. how cheap is cheap?

It will bolt up to the tranny, but unless you have an auto it will throw codes. It's definitely been done before though.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 17 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 17 2014, 08:14 AM) *

Do you intend to use an automatic? When I was trying to find just Subaru inner CV joints (part number 28392FE020) that same inner CV was used in both manual and automatic transmissions. I was interested in applications, what cars would have the CV's (DOJ's) I needed, so I didn't look further, but that should mean that an automatic transmission's axles would be adaptable, interchangeable with manual transmissions. You'll need to check to confirm all that, but if you can use manual transmission inner CV's that should make fitting an automatic a bit easier. Check that CV number at some place like parts.com to see all the applications.

Oh my...hate to discourage you but you will have a hard time using a 4EAT AWD auto trans in a conversion. They are HEAVVVY. Somewhere around 175 lbs once you get the 9 quarts of fluid in them. I couldn't even lift it. And they are long too. If you want to go auto find a 2WD trans from a pre-1996 car. Easy to find and cheap. Sell what you have and get a better fit. Wouldn't want that big thing to yank your rear mounts off.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 17 2014, 09:02 AM
Post #43

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, I don't know anything more than that those inner CV's are the same. I didn't look any further so you need to check the rest, most importantly if they can even be converted to 2WD. I don't know, but if not the 2WD transmissions are there. The weight should be manageable, the length less so. I don't know why anyone would want an automatic, but if you do it's something to look at.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 17 2014, 07:23 AM) *

so…the EZ30 would be a direct application for my 97' legacy wagon? for a rather big car the 2.5 moves well. how cheap is cheap?

I thought you were talking about putting it into a 914, which is pretty straightforward. Into another Subaru is possible, they bolt up, but everything else is a lot more complicated. Look on NASIOC, there are folks who've done it, but I don't see much advantage for the amount of work involved. Those later sixes are typically a thousand bucks or less, depending on where and condition, etc. An easy search on Craigslist or eBay, see what they're worth in your neighborhood.

EDIT: Just checked eBay and they're more like $1500 or less. Craigslist around here the same or less.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 17 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #44

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm checking with PO to see if rear diff was changed or left stock. If I can get a couple bucks for the auto trans I will, if it's too much trouble, it will be scrapped. I'm not interested in paying my mechanic more to pull parts than they are worth. Once I get the engine and trans, I'm satisfied.

But keep the comments and suggestions coming, I really learn a lot from you guys!

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 17 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #45

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

After taking one look at that monstrosity I let the automatic tranny go with the donor car. No way I was going to pull, advertise, sell, store and/or ship that turd for $200.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 17 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #46

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 17 2014, 10:25 AM) *

After taking one look at that monstrosity I let the automatic tranny go with the donor car. No way I was going to pull, advertise, sell, store and/or ship that turd for $200.

I'm thinking the same thing.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #47

914-6 GT in waiting

Engine is out

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 23 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #48

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Engine is out

Good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The cradle should be there tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh and I found wiring diagram for all the crap you can strip out of the harness, though its for 5 speeds, I'll drop it in the mail for you, its from Small Car, so copyrighted material - or else I would just attach it here.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 23 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #49

I have a TON of info on the wiring harness stuff if you are going to use the stock ECU. It's easier than it seems, not many wires are actually moved. We'll have to work out a FTP-type transfer.

Engine looks pretty good. How are the valve cover seals? Any oil leaking? I bought the whole reseal kit for the engine which was ~$250 or so just to be safe. Mine was pretty caked with oil though. FYI there is no oil pan seal, you just use RTV so you might as well reseal that in the process. Use the black stuff.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 23 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #50

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

When you guys are buying donor cars and come across either a left or right fog lamp housing, the round ones, please let me know.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #51

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 23 2015, 11:47 AM) *

When you guys are buying donor cars and come across either a left or right fog lamp housing, the round ones, please let me know.

If this car has them, you got it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #52

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 23 2015, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Engine is out

Good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The cradle should be there tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh and I found wiring diagram for all the crap you can strip out of the harness, though its for 5 speeds, I'll drop it in the mail for you, its from Small Car, so copyrighted material - or else I would just attach it here.

Awesome

*I do plan to use a 5 speed manual trans.
+Quote Post
a914622
post Jan 24 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Look good so far! Plan on changing the vacuum hoses under the intake. That seems to be the failer point for the svx engines. The hoods held a lot of heat in.
Do yourself a huge favor and only use "graybond" rtv. If you can't find it local run down to Yamaha and get a tube of "yamabond" same stuff. There is a reason you don't see jap engines leaking oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Jcl
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 24 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Pulling the engine was easy - my local mechanic did it for me. Next step is to pull the chassis harness. That's my job.

Got this chip from 914forme. Turbo boost control? I don't know?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 24 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #55

914-6 GT in waiting

Another part from 914forme just showed up. Coldwater cradle. Great seller - just like most everyone on world.

Sorry, iPhone pics display rotated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 24 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *

Its an argumentation to the stock ECU, ECUTune stage 1. If you need more you can upgrade it to stage 2, that will give you dual fuel maps, if you every want to run E85 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Overview od stage 1
Features
More aggressive timing profile for more torque
Built in fix for M/T stalling when stopped
Improved power band with increased low rpm torque
7800 rpm rev limit
No vehicle speed limiter
Eliminates hesitation when shifting
Great for SVX automatics, SVX 5 speeds and SVX powered Vanagons 914s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Stage two requires new injectors, MAP etc...

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 24 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #57

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 24 2015, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *

Its an argumentation to the stock ECU, ECUTune stage 1. If you need more you can upgrade it to stage 2, that will give you dual fuel maps, if you every want to run E85 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Overview od stage 1
Features
More aggressive timing profile for more torque
Built in fix for M/T stalling when stopped
Improved power band with increased low rpm torque
7800 rpm rev limit
No vehicle speed limiter
Eliminates hesitation when shifting
Great for SVX automatics, SVX 5 speeds and SVX powered Vanagons 914s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Stage two requires new injectors, MAP etc...

I was kidding. I had seen it on the smallcar website. You gave me a great price. Thank you.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 25 2015, 10:10 AM
Post #58

That ECU upgrade is on my list. Looks like it's worth the $.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2015, 11:57 AM
Post #59

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 16 2014, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 16 2014, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 16 2014, 08:05 AM) *

If you can weld you can make your own FWD lockout too and save some dough. I also make my own transmission block off plate too out of diamond plate.

i dont weld.

And just why the Hell not. Go by a welder and get started! That's the way most of us have done it. Your no different. I've heard that even Dr. Evil can weld. Seriously Epps, after a few minutes you'll be tack welding and shortly there after laying beads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I thought about this but it's not just welding. It's metal fab, welding, body work, priming, ect. It's just not my thing, at least not right now. It is however Scotty B's thing. Once I get the car together and running, it will get torn down and get the full treatment. The last bit of rust repaired. The roll bar will be removed. Various holes plugged and finishing work on the flares done. This is the car that will get a steel hard top.

My thing is buying/selling/part sourcing. I have fun doing this and this car still needs a bunch of parts. Besides all the parts coldwater makes, I plan to buy a 5 speed suby trans, renegade front radiator set up, aftermarket gauges, 5 lug, ect.

I was going to farm out the wire harness to smallcar but i think you guys convinced me its something i can do myself.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 25 2015, 12:43 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2015, 12:57 PM) *

Once I get the car together and running, it will get torn down and get the full treatment. The last bit of rust repaired. The roll bar will be removed. Various holes plugged and finishing work on the flares done. This is the car that will get a steel hard top.

Thats where I am heading right now. I have built the rotisserie, I have just finished gutting the car, I am have stripped to a bare shell! And well, I am currently trying to get a local 944 parts guy to get me a hard top, I am thinking solid, but part of me wants to go with a sunroof, and maybe keep A/C out of the car., I'm getting older and things like heat and A/C become much more of a want now. Kinda like a quite exhaust! I have a new set of street wheels coming in. 7 and 9s, x 17s, flares, and right now I am toying with a couple of ideas for cooling. A set of headers, and flipping the intake to keep me from cutting the rear trunk. My list is long!

I have already subscribed, now let the both of us get to building (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) Maybe not in that order (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:14 AM