Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm down to first gear., UPDATED with tear down pictures.
dangrouche
post Jan 18 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #21

dangrouche

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914bub @ Jan 18 2015, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Jan 18 2015, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 13 2014, 10:08 PM) *

I bought the side shifted engine crossmember and linkage, I'm working on a shifter now.

PS my whole family is from Duluth! ......I'm from Kalamazoo

I bet you are at least able to work outside most days.
After a look at your photos I would suggest a complete tear down. You may be lucky, but first completely failed, so how far is second? You may get lucky with the higher gears, but looks like the new transmissions are a good idea. Good luck!

Yea, I realize I'm cobbling it together for now. I'd like to try replacing the first gear parts to buy some time. I don't want to invest money in this trans because I'm real close to a side shift conversion. In the mean time I'm riding my motorcycle 50 miles each way to work in the fog and freezing my butt off. I just cracked open the core and the parts look better. I'll pop some pix this afternoon.looks like the speedo drive gear is held on with a roll pin?

no; you need a deep 30mm drive socket AND an air impact gun to spin off that speedo drive gear. it looks from your donor, you can cobble together enough parts to get you a working first gear.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 18 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #22

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You will need to lock the trans in 1 and 5 to hold the shafts from turning while you use the 30mm deep socket on the bolt. Should be about 80-90ft/lb. Dont lock the gears if the stack is not in the case and not in a jig. The shafts will pull apart and you will chip a tooth....ask me how I learned that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jan 19 2015, 03:36 PM
Post #23

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I just grabbed a few of the dogteeth in my stash and found two extreams to show you.

As you can see the one on the left of both these photos I would consider not usable. The ones on the right would be passable but still not ideal.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 19 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Both are shit. Sorry. The wear on the better one is still too much. Like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

The profile pic, while well done, is not useful as the teeth wear from the inside out so you dont see anything on the outside profile until it is all done.

You should have one good set attached to one of your spare gears, no?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jan 19 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #25

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

As you can see the one on the left of both these photos I would consider not usable. The ones on the right would be passable but still not ideal.

I guess I wasn't clear, I wouldn't use either but if you are looking for better or worse you have to choose the one on the right.

I was trying to show that even the ones he showed in his photo's have issues.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 20 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 20 2015, 12:13 AM) *

I guess I wasn't clear, I wouldn't use either but if you are looking for better or worse you have to choose the one on the right.

I was trying to show that even the ones he showed in his photo's have issues.

Ah, then yes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914bub
post Jan 23 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 16,260

I have another question. I'm ready to button up my transmission but in looking at the picture below,(stolen from OU8AVW's thread), the short shaft on the upper right that holds the counter gear came off of my trans, attached to the rear housing. It seems impossible trying to line up the fat washer with the half moon cut out to line up. Should I tap that short shaft out of the rear housing and tap it into the trans, or should it be attached to the rear housing?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 23 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #28

Dude, stop! Do not remove the shaft. That is not the correct way to do it at all.

Place the tranz bell housing down, you may want to put some wood under it so it sits vertical. Place the notch washer down, the flat bearing on top, the reverse gear, the bearings and spacer inside of it; bearing-spacer-bearing. Then, make sure they are all lined up by looking inside the bore. Drop the tail cone on slowly. The usual hitch is that the flat bearing moves, but you can push it into place with a screwdriver. It is stupid easy and what you posted above is just way wrong.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Jan 23 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 23 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Dude, stop! Do not remove the shaft. That is not the correct way to do it at all.

Place the tranz bell housing down, you may want to put some wood under it so it sits vertical. Place the notch washer down, the flat bearing on top, the reverse gear, the bearings and spacer inside of it; bearing-spacer-bearing. Then, make sure they are all lined up by looking inside the bore. Drop the tail cone on slowly. The usual hitch is that the flat bearing moves, but you can push it into place with a screwdriver. It is stupid easy and what you posted above is just way wrong.

I hear ya. I only asked because I saw the pic with the shaft on the trans. The problem with your method is getting the car to balance on its front bumper since I'm doing it in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I was going to try grease on the washer in question to hold it in place
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 05:41 AM