Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru guys?
76-914
post Dec 13 2014, 08:50 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I keep looking for a rusty old subaru because I would rather have a complete car to start with.
[/quote]
Rich, go to CoPart and find the car you want in an area you want to shop e.g the Northeast to cut shipping costs. Look for a car with rear end damage. Stay away from rollovers. The $300 that you shell out for commission is chicken feed when you consider that you get just what you want and that it was just running a few weeks ago. If you look closely you will see that some will start and can be "driven" on and off the cargo carrier. Those, if low mileage are my first choice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Dec 13 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here are two great links for engine specifics:

Ian's site Coldwater914 See Engine Options:

Renegade Hybrids Look under 914 > Subaru Kits
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 13 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #23

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Why would I bother if it was not with demonic as the end goal....
For me, it would be pointless to learn otherwise.

I would rather get a whole car, and we are friends with the owner of the local yard....so he may let me borrow a car for a while....strip out what I want, then send it back.

It's all new to me.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the Nasioc site.....need to spend more time learning.
Thankfully there is a local shop that specializes in these Frankenstein cars, so I may reach out, may not...
Seems to be loads of information online about how to modify them, but loads of it is conflicting with many younger guys just bolting on parts to see what happens....which is actually cool in my opinion.
I would like to start with the forged Pistons, so I will see what the local guy has today.
My price point would be under 2k for a motor, but it needs to be turbo, with the harness and ECU.

Field trip today, after we put the clutch in the mini ....which currently is all apart, laying all over my shop, and my daughter is coming home today to use her car....so we will get it done today, hopefully.
Next time anyone whines about the price of parts, or the restricted amount of space to work on our cars, go do a clutch job on a Mini Cooper, then let me know how you feel about it......
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 13 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #24

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Perrin did a truly demonic build on an EZ30, I believe it was turbo'd with NOS. Dyno'd at upwards of 600hp but I suspect longevity was poor, because I haven't heard of it since (and it was running 23psi of boost).

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/perrin-h6-build-up/
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 13 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 12,048

And the misinformation continues. All the motors have the series number cast right in the block, just behind the oil pressure sender. Also in the center top the bearing size is engraved. The number on the back top above starter is also very informative . The drivers side strut tower has the engine number on it as well.

The cable shift 6 speeds are the exact same size. The sti is a truck tranny and is larger.

The eg33 has the same fireing order as a 911 engine, so pipe it and it should have a simaler exhaust note.

Long tube headers make way more bottom end tork in all the ej,eg motor family.

Jcl
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 13 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #26

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 13 2014, 08:39 AM) *

The cable shift 6 speeds are the exact same size. The sti is a truck tranny and is larger.

Jcl

What years were the cable shift 6 speeds out of?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 13 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Are all the transmissions forward and backward compatible among all the 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 13 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #28

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 13 2014, 08:53 AM) *

Are all the transmissions forward and backward compatible among all the 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders?

Unless you get something really Old I think so. You may not have the same bolt holes lining up, but they'll go together.
(Based on a 97 and a 2003 5mt both fitting on a 2001 H-6 that never was equipped with a manual)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 13 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #29

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 13 2014, 07:39 AM) *

All the motors have the series number cast right in the block, just behind the oil pressure sender. Also in the center top the bearing size is engraved. The number on the back top above starter is also very informative . The drivers side strut tower has the engine number on it as well.

That's true, but the question is how to identify engine configurations by using those serial numbers. Are you aware of an index anywhere?

The cable shift 6 speeds are the exact same size.

Yes, that transmission is an upgraded 5MT so should fit the same, except maybe the axles. But definitely in the recyclers by now.

The eg33 has the same fireing order as a 911 engine, so pipe it and it should have a simaler exhaust note.

Actually no, the Subaru SVX firing order is 1-6-3-2-5-4 and the Porsche sixes are 1-6-2-4-3-5. I don't know if that would make much difference in the sound, though considering that the Subaru sixes only cost about five hundred bucks I already know the sound's definitely close enough for me.

+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 13 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 12,048

Dbcooper
Actually Yes the numbering is off but the jap engine starts the numbering on the oppeset side. So if you draw 2 flat 6 engines and number them you will see the cylinders fire in the exact same order as a 911.

The cable shift trannys started late 09 with the spec B. In late 12 I think all went to them.

Decoding the engine with out the plack on the drivers side strut can get tricky. But about the only one I would stay away from is the 96 doc engines, easy to spot by the square hole around the spark plug at the valve cover.

Jcl
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 13 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #31

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 13 2014, 11:40 PM) *

Dbcooper
Actually Yes the numbering is off but the jap engine starts the numbering on the oppeset side. So if you draw 2 flat 6 engines and number them you will see the cylinders fire in the exact same order as a 911.

The cable shift trannys started late 09 with the spec B. In late 12 I think all went to them.

Decoding the engine with out the plack on the drivers side strut can get tricky. But about the only one I would stay away from is the 96 doc engines, easy to spot by the square hole around the spark plug at the valve cover.

Jcl

So, it was not mis information.
There is no way to tell what motor I am looking at outside of a car except a large amount of bolt on parts, which can be swapped?

Rich
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 14 2014, 08:58 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 13 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Well I'll be go to hell, that's right. I never really thought about different layout, just saw the numbers were a different order. Cool, learn something new every day... thanks.

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 13 2014, 08:40 PM) *

The interest here in the six speed is really the STi "truck" transmission because it's stronger than the 5MT (though no one's found a way to make the bigger/longer STi six speed fit into our cars). The newer cable-shift six speed is just a 5MT with an extra gear, no stronger, so the only advantage is that extra gear. Maybe also because we're converting the 5MT's to cable shift and that later transmission is already a cable. I don't know, never saw that myself because that transmission came out after my car was done, but could be interesting for anyone thinking of converting today. As long as it can be converted to the older female style inner CV's, anyway.

If you do run across an index that uses the engine serial numbers to identify configuration please let us know... would be very handy.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 14 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2014, 06:54 AM) *

Why would I bother if it was not with demonic as the end goal....
For me, it would be pointless to learn otherwise.

Gonna look right into the teeth of the Demon, huh Rich? Sorry, not gonna be able to help you with that, you're scaring me. Should be viable for $2000 though, check any one of the dozens of Japanese engine importers for a JDM STi motor, 2.0 with forged internals. Think Megasquirt, though, you'll "learn" more relevant stuff with it, and won't need to spend so many late nights searching through a bunch of nearly indecipherable Japanese wiring diagrams and sensor spec sheets and learning otherwise useless information. Even better would be a harness and aftermarket ECU from Outfront, but if you're choosing to look straight into the teeth of the Demon you're definitely not interested in the Easy Way.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 14 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

There is a complete SVX in WA that was rear ended. Guy is selling it for $550 & still runs great. I'm probably lucky I have no trailer or truck right now. I'd totally go get that & bring it home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Dec 14 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,820
Region Association: South East States

2003 EZ30 and Subaru 5sp transmission. I am also going to run heat and air.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 14 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(abnrdo @ Dec 14 2014, 03:47 PM) *

2003 EZ30 and Subaru 5sp transmission. I am also going to run heat and air.

I want to see your heat and air system when you get it figured out- that's gonna be a comfy ride!
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Dec 14 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #37

Transmissions vary on gearing and either a push or pull type clutch. Some have hydraulic.

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php...nsmission+Chart

Mine is: TY755VC4AA
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Dec 14 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #38

If you havent already, check out one of the best builds around. Jamie will tell you its awesome! (so will I)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1070554

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 14 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 14 2014, 09:37 AM) *

There is a complete SVX in WA that was rear ended. Guy is selling it for $550 & still runs great. I'm probably lucky I have no trailer or truck right now. I'd totally go get that & bring it home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

You should FIND a truck and trailer, then bring it home! Another foray into the madness... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 14 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #40

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(abnrdo @ Dec 14 2014, 07:50 PM) *

Transmissions vary on gearing and either a push or pull type clutch. Some have hydraulic.

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php...nsmission+Chart

Mine is: TY755VC4AA

That link made my head hurt. I will probably get a trans from Ian at Coldwater and have him check it over and do the mods to make it work for my application.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:19 PM