Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Experience with the HF Scissor Lift, (merged)
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 13 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

The scissor lifts are almost all identical. I believe they are assembled by the same group of teenagers somewhere in China. I have used mine a lot for the past five years or so and it works great. Having said that, I NEVER get under it without some kind of safety device (big jack stands) other than the mechanical lock in the lift or the beach chair on casters that I sit on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Maybe I'm over cautious but I don't think that's really possible.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 13 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Extra safety under the car is always a no brainer. You can't be too safe. I won't embarrass my kids by being the dad who dies when there car falls on them. Embarrass them other ways, yes, but that's another story.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 13 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 13 2014, 09:37 AM) *

The scissor lifts are almost all identical. I believe they are assembled by the same group of teenagers somewhere in China. I have used mine a lot for the past five years or so and it works great. Having said that, I NEVER get under it without some kind of safety device (big jack stands) other than the mechanical lock in the lift or the beach chair on casters that I sit on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Maybe I'm over cautious but I don't think that's really possible.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-7407-1418492211.jpg)

Hmmmm .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... That may be a solution for our tiny 17'-6" w x 18'-0" L (outside) x 7'-6" ceiling ht. 1921 "Model T" garage.

However, doesn't the idea of using jack stands + a scissors lift defeat the purpose of using a lift vs. good floor jack & jack stands?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 13 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #24

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I have one similar to this from Greg Smith.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Kw...B-Mid-Rise-Lift

It differs from most scissor lifts in that there are no bars across the middle, so for a front engine, rear drive car, you can access all of the center tunnel. I also have mine recessed into the concrete so that it lies flush in the floor, with the bottom bars covered.

(the one I have is actually from Greg Smith, but it's an older version.)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 13 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 13 2014, 10:41 AM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-7407-1418492211.jpg)

Hmmmm .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... That may be a solution for our tiny 17'-6" w x 18'-0" L (outside) x 7'-6" ceiling ht. 1921 "Model T" garage.

However, doesn't the idea of using jack stands + a scissors lift defeat the purpose of using a lift vs. good floor jack & jack stands?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The scissor lift will hold the car up higher than floor jacks and jack stands. I put two jack stands under the lift in case the hydraulic pressure fails then the mechanical lock fails. If both those things happen (not likely) the lift will stop at the jack stands and save my old ass from being crushed. It's a belt and suspenders kinda thing. By the way, my "garage" is an enclosed car-port. The floor is 17X17.5 with a seven foot ceiling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 13 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,439
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have an off brand scissor lift. I bought it used from a local guy who had restored a Mustang MachI on it. I have dropped motors out of numerous Toyota MR2's, a Porsche Boxster S and will be dropping the engine and tranny from my 914 sometime next week (I hope). It sill drop over time until it is resting on the safety catches (I mean weeks not days) but I have never had any trouble with it. I had a race car sitting on it (2200lbs) lifted at 70% for over 10 months. No Catastrophe.
Having said that, I wish I had seen Danmar MaxJacks (not sure if they existed). Occasionally the lift is in the way. VERY in the way. Most of the time it is perfect.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Dec 13 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 13 2014, 04:53 PM) *

Occasionally the lift is in the way. VERY in the way. Most of the time it is perfect.

That's why I went for a 2 post lift. It's NEVER in the way and gives you access to 99.9% of the car. No regrets on that expense.
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 13 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 8,439

QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 13 2014, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 13 2014, 04:53 PM) *

Occasionally the lift is in the way. VERY in the way. Most of the time it is perfect.

That's why I went for a 2 post lift. It's NEVER in the way and gives you access to 99.9% of the car. No regrets on that expense.

I could not find a 2 post that would fit in my garage back then. Thus if given the chance to do it over today, I would do the Max Jacks.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #29

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 13 2014, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 13 2014, 10:41 AM) *

The scissor lift will hold the car up higher than floor jacks and jack stands. I put two jack stands under the lift in case the hydraulic pressure fails then the mechanical lock fails. If both those things happen (not likely) the lift will stop at the jack stands and save my old ass from being crushed. It's a belt and suspenders kinda thing. By the way, my "garage" is an enclosed car-port. The floor is 17X17.5 with a seven foot ceiling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Would that be a Red-Green Show sort of belt & suspenders Elliot? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I get what you mean though, but I thought you meant a set of those +/- 48-60" tall jack stands.

Otherwise, I'd think that the extra force from the drop if the scissors jack failed, might either kick out the short jack stands or crush then from the momentum of the drop down.

Your carport/garage is about the same size as mine, so I think it will work without my having to "raise the roof".

Thanx! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 18 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,191

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 13 2014, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2014, 08:36 AM) *

You may not get many responses.....the former owners might be crippled from the car falling on them...can't type etc.

Try
Www.craigsmithequipment.com

it's www.gregsmithequipment.com

Garold, nice lift. I noticed on some of the scissor lifts that the car shifts forward a few inches as the lift is raised. I'd like to find one that lifts straight up. How is the Atlas?

TIA
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 24 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #31

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

It doesn't seem to move the car much. It's geometry doesn't allow the ramps to move forward or backwards. They do ask you to put the weight at the fixed end though, which is different for front engined vs mid/rear engined. Obvs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Dec 27 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 13,373

The HF lift you refer to is a exact copy of my Bendpak lift. I love it and it works well with 911-914 cars. It does block center of car and not good for transmission work on front engined, rear drive.

It folds up so flat I park my car trailer over it. It also does not go high enough to over lift a car in a regular garage. I can drop engine in my 914's easily in less than half hour. I installed a hydraulic quick disconnect so I can store power unit in my shed.

quote name='DMCF1Fast' date='Dec 13 2014, 06:31 AM' post='2121916']
I'm thinking about getting this lift from Harbor Freight and wanted to know if the adjustments for the jacking pads fit 914s and 911s well? I think I saw some people had this lift on here a while back but can't find the posts when I search. Also if you have experience with this lift did you like it?

http://t.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacit...lift-91315.html
[/quote]
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 28 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #33

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 18 2014, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 13 2014, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2014, 08:36 AM) *

You may not get many responses.....the former owners might be crippled from the car falling on them...can't type etc.

Try
Www.craigsmithequipment.com

it's www.gregsmithequipment.com

Garold, nice lift. I noticed on some of the scissor lifts that the car shifts forward a few inches as the lift is raised. I'd like to find one that lifts straight up. How is the Atlas?

TIA

It was $1500 out the door a few years ago.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 7 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a SnapOn, made by Wheeltronic, lift that I bought via Craigslist for about $800 dollars. It is built like a tank and I have no concerns about how well it is built from a safety perspective. I did have the hydraulic ram rebuilt for good measure, that was about another $100.

While the scissor lifts lie pretty flat, they can still be a pain with low profile cars. Most owners build some form of ramp from lumber. I went with the RacerRamps as shown here (yes, they are expensive):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bti-rr-clr-4/overview/

Attached Image

I also have a 4 post lift from Craigsmith with the rolling sliding jacks which allow you to get the wheels up in the air as well. If you have the room, I would definitely go with one of these rather than the scissor lift, especially if you will also need to build or buy ramps.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 8 2015, 06:54 AM
Post #35

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I bought one of these a couple of months ago. Got it new off craigslist from a pilot in the military who bought it and then was suddenly deployed. Paid $1000.

The nice feature is that it truly is portable. No one piece is over 50 pounds. Looks to be well made as well.

EZ Car Lift
+Quote Post
BK911
post Jan 8 2015, 07:22 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,674

I have the HF scissor lift.
No problems during dozens of engine drops over the past ~10 years.
Dont know how I ever lived without it.
But as usual; use at your own risk, your mileage may vary, images are closer than they appear, etc...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:56 AM