Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tire tuning, Not getting full tread to the ground
Joe Ricard
post Feb 4 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #21

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

QUOTE (mskala @ Feb 4 2005, 12:21 PM)
Back when I first had the kumhos, I went with 36psi and got wear all
on the outside edge, too. I use 30 now and it's better. This season
maybe I'll try lower like John uses.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
Things I have learned so far about Autocrossing a 914:
1) what other people in new cars are doing Means do somethng else.
2) you may very well have the oldest car at the event
3) You started with a HP defecit Deal with and stay off the brakes and stand on the gas.
4) when you actually start getting close to the times of the New M3 Coupe everybody wants to know what you did to the motor.
5) If there is a car dripping oil on the track they stop the 914 1st for inspection. (wasn't me really)!!!
I can fit everything I need in the car including tires where everyone else has cute little tire trailers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 4 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Here's a pic of one of my tire wheel setups at work.
The fronts are 205 X 50 V racers on 7 X 15 wheels, with -2 camber, 26 psi (cold). AIR, this was with stock T-bars & a 19mm AR bar set full soft. The rears were 225s on 7s and 140 lb springs.,-2 camber. The tire wear was quite even and the car handled very neutral.

Note the outside of the tires standing very up right.....they sure as hell didn't look that way at rest!

I find it difficult to believe that -2 deg is possible at the front of a 914 with the stock strut mounts in place. When I lowered mine to what I considered the max......allowing for 2 in of dampener travel, I had -1 deg. I had to go to offset strut mounts (Tarret) to get -2.

BTW. I have a set of Welt offset strut mounts, one of which kinda buggered up. If anyone wants to take a chance on em' ....they're cheep (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Feb 4 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 391

Here's a pict of my race car at the CA Speedway rollong over a 9x23x15 Goodyear slick in the rear. Note the inside front wheel is still on the ground. I use 300# rear springs, 23mm front t-bars, stock rear sway bar and large front sway bar with a GT limited slip. The car stll sits fairly flat when cornering like this and the tire temps are within a couple of degrees across the width of the tires.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 4 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #24

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Yeah, that was a few years ago. That set-up is much closer to Joe's than my present or future one. 275 & 300 lb springs are in the budget.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:10 PM