Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Ford Transit, Anyone own one?
Hammy
post Dec 17 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #1

mr. Wonderful

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

My father and I are looking into getting one of these vans for his picture framing business and it looks to be a good van for hauling supplies and making deliveries. Looking at a used fourth generation, maybe 2007-08 or newer.

Anyone here have any experience with these vans? Things to look for? Problem areas? Thanks for any help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 17 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I could swear that I saw a similar thread with responses a while back, but a search on "ford transit" didn't turn it up.
+Quote Post
ldsgeek
post Dec 17 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,885
Region Association: None

The company I work for has one and I can't stand it other than around town. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that is both under-powered and under-weight. It has the exact same drive-train as (I think) the base Contour, other than the gearing, pushing a rather large brick through the air (the under-powered part). And to get the 1500LB payload they had to cut the weight as much as possible, meaning any breeze makes it want to change lanes (the under-weight part). If his business is all local, no highway, it might be OK, but much highway driving would make me look for another vehicle. Just my opinion, ymmv, etc.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 17 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Major Member

QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Dec 17 2014, 06:22 PM) *

The company I work for has one and I can't stand it other than around town. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that is both under-powered and under-weight. It has the exact same drive-train as (I think) the base Contour, other than the gearing, pushing a rather large brick through the air (the under-powered part). And to get the 1500LB payload they had to cut the weight as much as possible, meaning any breeze makes it want to change lanes (the under-weight part). If his business is all local, no highway, it might be OK, but much highway driving would make me look for another vehicle. Just my opinion, ymmv, etc.

That's the type of responses I recall from the earlier thread.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 17 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

My son traded in his Hyundai Veloster (OK, he's into "unique looking" cars) when his daughter was born and bought the Transit LWB passenger version. They love it. Room for the rather large dog, the baby, and all the stuff he and his wife have to schlep around when they travel. Seats fold down into a sturdy floor, reasonable fuel economy, ugly enough for his tastes. It's a practical package for what they need. I'm sure the van version works just as well for what it is. Next choices are substantially bigger and all that comes along with that.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 17 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I remember when these came out. I think they are based on Ford's Euro van, and Opel perhaps.

People found that they are very versatile. Easy to drive. Imitators have popped up ie Nissan.

Go to a dealer and drive it. Parts? Its a Ford.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 18 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #7

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 17 2014, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Dec 17 2014, 06:22 PM) *

That's the type of responses I recall from the earlier thread.

This was the same response I got from a contractor using one. He stated bad visibility to the right rear due to the solid panels (no glass) on his company supplied van.

+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 18 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

With my research, what I found were negative comments mostly from the perspective of what it is not, rather than what it is. Highway/freeway hauler; no. Urban/metro light delivery; yes. There sure are a lot of them on the streets. I'd suggest you drive one and make your own assessment as to how well it fits your needs. I would think the picture framing business should fit well within it's scope.
Andys
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Dec 18 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Are we talking the brand new just released Transit Connect or older Connect, two way different rigs.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 18 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #10

Major Member

This is what I remember reading. Can't believe it was 4 years ago. A lot can change in that time...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1365395
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Dec 19 2014, 03:38 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

The company my wife works for bought 6 or 7 of them and they are handy in and around the city, good mileage etc. lots of transmission problems and vehicles sat at the dealership waiting parts as under the warranty they can fix or replace, making us wait 6 or 7 weeks for parts instead of replacing the tranny left us with a bad experience and are replacing them with a different vehicle. Canada Post uses them and they have experienced tranny issues as well.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:28 PM