Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to buy for Suby conversion
pilothyer
post Dec 18 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

I am getting interested in a Suby conversion and would like some input/advice on what complete car to look for Model/Year/Options, Engine size, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Dec 18 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

Bigkat build a 3.0l flat six, I'm building a turbo 4..

For the street or DE I think the 6 is a better option. For shear horse power and upgrade ability the turbo four has a large support group. STI's 2.5 liter turbo can support 400 hp easily..

Depends how big a smile you want or how big your check book is.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 18 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #3

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Take this for what it's worth...

I'm probably taking the 2.0 turbo 4cyl further than anyone else has in a 914, and if I had to do it over again, I'd do a 3.0 6cyl.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 18 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

The benefit of a turbo 4 is that if you want more power, its very easy to get. With a 6 you will have a smooth linear power band, but more power is not an easy proposition. As a Subaru guy before getting into 914's, the EJ series of engine's have a phenomenal aftermarket support.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 18 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with above comments. However, I'm not clear as to whether you plan to buy a conversion or build one yourself. What will be your planned usage? Will you ad AC later? Will you AX with it? Bottom line is whichever Suby transplant you choose it will be a big improvement. Be sure it gets the Suby 5mt TY75 tranny, as well. The complete package. As a foot note: If your buying one that's been converted I would want to do a test drive in July or Aug. Not when it's cool outside. You want to be sure the cooling system functions properly. Suby's aren't forgiving when overheated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Dec 18 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,080

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2014, 12:34 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with above comments. However, I'm not clear as to whether you plan to buy a conversion or build one yourself. What will be your planned usage? Will you ad AC later? Will you AX with it? Bottom line is whichever Suby transplant you choose it will be a big improvement. Be sure it gets the Suby 5mt TY75 tranny, as well. The complete package. As a foot note: If your buying one that's been converted I would want to do a test drive in July or Aug. Not when it's cool outside. You want to be sure the cooling system functions properly. Suby's aren't forgiving when overheated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I am looking to buy a Subaru to do the conversion. I would be looking for a running car or wrecked that would supply engine, trans, A/C & Heat wire harness, etc.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 18 2014, 02:12 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Dec 18 2014, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2014, 12:34 PM) *

I am looking to buy a Subaru to do the conversion. I would be looking for a running car or wrecked that would supply engine, trans, A/C & Heat wire harness, etc.

I bought my running svx for 500 and hoping to pick up a 5 speed trans for a couple hundred. All svx are auto but many are sold cheap when the trans starts to go. I see them for 500-1500 all day long. I can change to a newer engine in the future but this one should get me up and running without the hassles of plumbing a turbo 4 or spending thousands on something newer. The fireing order of an svx engine is the same as a Porsche 6. I am using as many prebuilt components as possible. Everything that Ian at Coldwater sellls, renegade hybrid radiator setup and small car will modify the wire harness. If someone makes up a heat and air kit, I'm in.

There is no inspection of antique cars in PA so a gps speedo and regular exhaust will work fine for me.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 18 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #8

If'n your going the 4 banger route you'll be able to source a donor car with the tranny. If'n you go the 6 route you will need to buy the tranny separately as they weren't supplied w/ USA 6's. I will defer to others as to which 4 is best (NA or T'bode), The 6 route is as follows. EG33's are cheaper as they are older and they are larger in size and weight. You can easily Mega Squirt these types.
EZ30D's are smaller in weight and size than the EG series + they have timing chains vs. belts and can easily see 250-300K miles. After market ECU's are available but I would recommend the factory ECU.
EZ30R offers VVT and a jump in HP over the D series however these have the immobilizer system which might prove challenging to defeat but I have no experience with the R series so this may be BS on my part.
EZ36R is a maxed out version of the EZ30R with a jump in HP over the R series.
I've said this before but it's worth repeating. Buy a donor car and gut it, sell off what isn't needed. I shopped CoPart for what I wanted. Found my donor relatively close to me which lowered shipping costs. Another thing, look for rear end or side damaged vehicles that will start and run. Avoid roll overs and front end damaged vehicles. The ad will state if it can be driven on the hauler or needs to be loaded. There isn't any additional charges if it can be driven on + you'll know how the engine runs before the transplant.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 18 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I bought my running svx for 500 and hoping to pick up a 5 speed trans for a couple hundred. All svx are auto but many are sold cheap when the trans starts to go. I see them for 500-1500 all day long. I can change to a newer engine in the future but this one should get me up and running without the hassles of plumbing a turbo 4 or spending thousands on something newer. The fireing order of an svx engine is the same as a Porsche 6. I am using as many prebuilt components as possible. Everything that Ian at Coldwater sellls, renegade hybrid radiator setup and small car will modify the wire harness. If someone makes up a heat and air kit, I'm in.

There is no inspection of antique cars in PA so a gps speedo and regular exhaust will work fine for me.

I thought I read that rod dimensions and and a few other internal engine dimensions are same as well...anyone know for sure? A copy of the 2.7 or 3.0 Porsche motor?

As for the H6 motors, how much heavier is the older EG33?

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 18 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #10

False.

SVX: 1-6-3-2-5-4

3.3, 3.2, 2.7: 1-6-2-4-3-5

Also, the clys are numbered differently.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 18 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 18 2014, 03:35 PM) *

False.

My mistake. I'm stil learning.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 18 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #12

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I've done a couple of engine swaps. I recommend buying the entire car and stripping it apart. If you are going with an aftermarket ECU, the donor does not matter as much.

JDM engines are different (slightly) and the gasket kits are harder to get in the US.

Immobilizers are easy to defeat but you will have to flash the factory ECU to remove it. The flash alone will cost $300-$1000 depending on options.

DBW (Drive By Wire) throttles are cool! My Audi conversion is DBW and it works great! Just like a modern car. In my case there is very little lag from pedal to throttle. They make gizmos to plug into the throttle pedal to improve this delay. I chose not to use one.

I swapped the steering column, dash cluster and switches as well. This may be overkill for most but it is easier than you think. You just have to methodically pull the un-needed wires out of the loom until you get down to a few.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 18 2014, 03:11 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2014, 12:47 PM) *

False.

Seems like you are correct and just didn't know it, See post #25 http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...46689&st=20
+Quote Post
d914
post Dec 18 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

we have a guy in ATL that rebuilds suby's.. He can buy the car, dismantle, sell the unused pieces and part with some valuable knowledge once you get past his attitude and show him a little green..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We get parts and engines from him all the time..

Attached Image

+Quote Post
904svo
post Dec 18 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #15

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Suggest you get a copy of the factory manual for wiring for the year of the donor car.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 18 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 194

I've got a running EZ30 conversion car. That I'll be selling soon.
Also have a extra EZ30R engine and wrx transaxle with subarugears locking sleeve that I need to sell.
Attached Image

Going to the Hot Rod world.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 19 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2014, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2014, 12:47 PM) *

False.

Seems like you are correct and just didn't know it, See post #25 http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...46689&st=20

With the difference in the numbering of the cylinders, It's not even close...

Going off the Porsche numbers, the Subaru would be firing at 6-1-5-3-4-2

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 19 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #18

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I may be confused, but I think they actually do work out according to the diagrams provided.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 19 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #19

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Ha ha, I had to draw out a little diagram with both numbering schemes side-by-side, then trace them out. It worked out for me that they're the same order. I think. What's bad is that I did the same thing several years ago and got a different answer, so I'm pretty sure but still wouldn't swear by it.

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 19 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #20

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Either way, H-6 for the win (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:28 AM