Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cant loosen valve, on rebuilt engine
ericoneal
post Dec 18 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,795
Region Association: South East States

We, walterolin and I, were trying to adjust the valve on my newly rebuilt engine tonight and we couldnt get the intake valve on #1 to loosen. We found TDC, 0 mark on the fan and #1 exhaust valve adjusted just fine. The problem is that I loosened the screw completely on the intake valve and I still could not get the feeler gage in there and it wouldnt budge (slightly rattle) when we tried to shake it by hand. Its REALLY tight.
After that we turned the engine so that the valve was for sure all the way open, and nothing. The screw is all the way backed out and its completely tight no matter what position it is in.
What could cause this? My engine builder told me that he adjusted all of them to .006, so it obviously was correct at some point.

At a loss here..

THanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 18 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,673

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Dec 18 2014, 08:57 PM) *

We, walterolin and I, were trying to adjust the valve on my newly rebuilt engine tonight and we couldnt get the intake valve on #1 to loosen. We found TDC, 0 mark on the fan and #1 exhaust valve adjusted just fine. The problem is that I loosened the screw completely on the intake valve and I still could not get the feeler gage in there and it wouldnt budge (slightly rattle) when we tried to shake it by hand. Its REALLY tight.
After that we turned the engine so that the valve was for sure all the way open, and nothing. The screw is all the way backed out and its completely tight no matter what position it is in.
What could cause this? My engine builder told me that he adjusted all of them to .006, so it obviously was correct at some point.

At a loss here..

THanks

without more info on what happened since builder did adjustment, is there any way that the pushrod could have dislodged from it's seated position in the lifter ??
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Dec 18 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Nothing has happened. He adjusted, gave engine to me, and I put it back in car.
We thought about the pushrod coming disloged and took the rocker off to check.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 18 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Put it at BDC and see if you can move the valve up and down.
A bit of leverage, you can move the valve....the springs are not that tough.
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 18 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #5

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would try to turn the engine over 360* while observing that valve.

sounds like you are looking at the dizzy being 180 off.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 18 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Sounds even more like you need to use my method, which doesn't require you to do anything other than turn the engine over and watch the valves before making any adjustments. Look in the classic threads.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Dec 19 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #7

I know for a fact that the distributor mark is off, but we did find the 0 mark on the fan and my previous TDC mark on the flywheel.

We turned the engine so that the valve was all the way open, the screw was all the way backed out, but it was still completely tight. Will moving the engine 180 matter at this point?

We are going to study up on the Krusty method and apply it this weekend, but Im not sure if that even comes into play yet..
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Dec 19 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,080

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Dec 19 2014, 07:35 AM) *

I know for a fact that the distributor mark is off, but we did find the 0 mark on the fan and my previous TDC mark on the flywheel.

We turned the engine so that the valve was all the way open, the screw was all the way backed out, but it was still completely tight. Will moving the engine 180 matter at this point?

We are going to study up on the Krusty method and apply it this weekend, but Im not sure if that even comes into play yet..

Turn it so the valve is closed.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 19 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Are you at tdc for #3?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Dec 19 2014, 08:38 AM
Post #10

I'm thinking that may be the issue now. Im going to spin the fan 360 back to the TDC mark and see if that makes a difference.

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 19 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Are you at tdc for #3?

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 19 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

If that doesn't work, keep in mind that people swap out fans and some folks here have reported fans where the marks were wrong or flat out missing.

If this is the case, revert to the Capn's method. You don't even need to find TDC using the fan or distributor. Simply rotate the engine till one bank is showing three valves closed (one exhaust and two intakes - rockers will be "rocking") and one valve on the opposite bank is open. This is one TDC. Then if you rotate the engine 360 degrees around, the other bank should then have three valves closed and the opposite bank has one open. This is the other TDC.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Dec 19 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #12

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Use Krusty's method for sure. Curious also if you have hydraulic lifters. I could imagine the following circumstances causing what you're seeing :

The valve in question being open, a hydro lifter fully pumped up to maximum lift and the pushrod not being centered on the lifter.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 19 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

Most of the times I hear that people cannot find TDC, it is because they are struggling just to turn the engine.

Put the rear on jackstands ( or one jackstand and one ramp).
Block one wheel so it cannot turn.
Pull the spark plugs
Put the car in 5th gear turn the wheel and the engine will turn "almost effortlessly".

Now get under the car and watch as someone else turns the engine for you.
After about three complete turns without struggling, you will understand how the valves work.

In fact using this method, you can find TDC#1 quite accurately without any marks.
But you have to watch it go around a few times before you have that moment where it makes perfect sense.
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Dec 19 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #14

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

Swivel foot adjusters?
I had to shim my rockers to allow the screws to have more adjustments out. Otherwise the swivel feet got stuck against the rocker.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Dec 22 2014, 07:59 AM
Post #15

Got this one sorted out. In a fit of desperation, I took the rockers off, pulled the pushrods out and put everything back on, then it was OK. We then used the Krusty method to adjust the valves and TDC appears to be 90 degrees off.
Some help here: If the car is truly at TDC for piston 1, both valves will be closed (ie both pushrods will be all the way in and not extended)?

Attached is an image down the pushrod tube BEFORE I removed everything which fixed the issue.Attached Image
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 22 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #16

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Dec 22 2014, 05:59 AM) *

Some help here: If the car is truly at TDC for piston 1, both valves will be closed (ie both pushrods will be all the way in and not extended)?

True ....
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 22 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

As I said, if you're using the fan or distributor to determine TDC, keep in mind that dizzys can be reclocked a and the fan maybe have been disassembled by someone previously and put back wrong.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Dec 22 2014, 08:40 AM
Post #18

I saw your post, thanks, and thats one reason that we confirmed with the Krusty method. The fan, (and my previous mark on the underside of the flywheel), seems to be correct with the #1 valve positions (confirmed by SLITS above), but the dizzy is now exactly 90 degress off from its TDC mark. Knowing this, we can now proceed.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 22 2014, 09:17 AM) *

As I said, if you're using the fan or distributor to determine TDC, keep in mind that dizzys can be reclocked a and the fan maybe have been disassembled by someone previously and put back wrong.

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 22 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Having just finished this is fresh in my head.

Dont worry about marks, they are irrelevant until confirmed go off the #1 cyl at its top of travel (TDC) and note the position of the rotor.

Imagine the distributor ROTOR is a clock hand. When at TRUE TDC, the rotor (firing end w/metal) will face at what we call 1200 (though when facing the motor from the rear of the car it will likely be more like 200 with a Bosch dizzy or if you are running a Pertronix billet like I am, will be at 1100).

At TRUE TDC the #1 piston is at the top of its travel and both valves are closed, meaning there is no pressure on the lifter/pushrod/rocker assembly. Once you break loose the locking nut you should be able to back out the adjuster.

The ONLY other time the #1 CYL is at the top is when the rotor is 180degrees out and it will be facing 600. The piston may be at TOP, but one of the cam l

If you are truly at TDC and still cant back out the adjuster, just unbolt the whole rocker assembly for inspection. It really is easy.... If you are at true TDC, you may have a stripped/galled adjuster or your friendly mechanic used something like JB weld or super hard threadlocker when he put in the adjuster (this happened to me once)

My guess is you are 180 out, and likely it is the distributor pinion. IF this is the case, you will need to take out the distributor, AND the drive pinion, and realign them. Find your TDC/#1 mark on the distributor, turn the rotor to that mark, then align the drive (only ONE way for this to go together, and re-install. Will take some giggling and possible rocking of motor).

This is a job you need a second set of hand/eyes for. You said this is a NEW/rebuilt motor? Where is the mechanic on this?
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 22 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

I'm confused, how freshly rebuilt is this motor, I'm just wondering why you are doing all this, seems like the motor or something was setup wrong, why not take it back to the engine builder to make it right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:50 AM