Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fourteener Motoring Magazine - UPDATE
Speedmster
post Dec 24 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I like the idea. I subscribed. Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Dec 24 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 21 2014, 11:12 AM) *

Instead of print, would it be a benefit to you to have it in PDF form and we can download and print from there? Save you on paper, etc. and postage would be no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

That sounds like a good idea to me. Otherwise, I would ask for donations.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 25 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #63

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I signed up. Not sure if it took though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Having a printed copy that'll fit in the glove box will come in handy - It'll give us something to do while waiting for AAA to show up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks, Steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 25 2014, 11:11 AM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I subscribed. But i only entered my email address. How will you mail the mag? Did i miss that part?
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 25 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 25 2014, 12:11 PM) *

I subscribed. But i only entered my email address. How will you mail the mag? Did i miss that part?

When you subscribed you should have received an email that requested that you email your physical address. If you didn't please let me know.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Dec 25 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 17,376

Ah, I saw an email come in, but thought it was just a sign-up confirmation and ignored it. Why not have the mailing address info. added to the sign-up page? I better others will miss the email message too.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 25 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Dec 25 2014, 02:41 PM) *

Ah, I saw an email come in, but thought it was just a sign-up confirmation and ignored it. Why not have the mailing address info. added to the sign-up page? I better others will miss the email message too.

Ya. The service I am using for the signup page doesn't let you change it to add that.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Dec 25 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 25 2014, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Dec 25 2014, 02:41 PM) *

Ya. The service I am using for the signup page doesn't let you change it to add that.

OK. Probably will need to do an email blast once you are further along, to obtain mailing addresses.
+Quote Post
Porschetoyz
post Dec 25 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 1,331

Subscribed.
Thank you.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 25 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

I like it! I do have a question however, if it is going to be a paper magazine, why is the website asking for an e-mail address? Just curious, sign me up also.
MERRY CHRISTMAS,
Tom
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Dec 26 2014, 03:38 AM
Post #71

Greetings from Germany! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

I personally really appreciate good print material and have a lot of experience over 20 years of printing my own brochures / publications here in Munich for Mike's Bike Tours, my Good Food Guide, a guide of Munich, my board game, Globopolis...www.globopolis.net among other projects, the latest being an 8 page (A4..similar to 8.5x11) brochure for a campaign I am leading in my community to have a so-called Multi Aktiv Sportplatz built here. www.mas-unterfoehring.de

That background is intended to serve as perspective for the opinion I want to express here. I know about labor of love for no profit...MAS is such a project for me, and as mentioned, I know about printing and the satisfaction one has when the product comes off the press. I called that, when my board game was finished...MIC. Multiple Identical Copies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It's sweet, yes, it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

That all being said, I would like to offer my opinion regarding this idea of a free, as I imagine it "newsletter-like" quarterly publication. Clearly as conceived thus far it will require a lot of time (especially if it goes beyond being "newsletter-like") and require money to print and deliver. IMO a website can offer those interested more content than the magazine concept and INCLUDE the magazine format as a pdf. For those that would like to have it in hand in a relatively "production" format as opposed to just coming off their own printer...they can take it to their local Kinkos or copy shop and have them print it, which could also be done by email.

But that is not the main thrust of my opinion, which is to print a really NICE magazine on an annual basis for the following reasons:

1) consolidated material...best of the year kinda stuff in a larger, nicer magazine will have a much sweeter degree of satisfaction for you, Steve, as this would be the culmination of a year's work and material. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

2) it would be something which most of us would pay e.g. $5 for which would at least cover your production and shipping costs

3) it is something that would more likely be preserved and never thrown away, so that in 50 years there would still be some or many of them in the hands of 914 owners

4) it would be easy to get AA, Camp 914 et. al. to sponsor for advertising

5) there would be less, constant pressure to get the next (quarterly) issue out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

6) the website format / project would more easily allow for it to be a community project which many would contribute to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

...and I could come up with a few more reasons beyond those as well.

No matter what you choose to do, you may want to compare printing costs online with these two online printers which I have used extensively over here, just for purposes of comparison with North America prices, which I believe are higher and higher than they need to be, giving you an idea of what kind of margin the printers over there are working with. It is easy to choose a format, paper quality, number of copies, etc. and immediately find out what the cost would be, over here at least, in Euros. Multiply that figure by 1.20 or whatever the exchange rate is to get the US$ figure.

www.wir-machen-druck.de and www.flyeralarm.de

Good luck. I would love to buy your annual, top-notch production for $5. I would pay $10 for it if it was really well done, which naturally it could and I imagine would be. Again, IMO, this concept is, at least for me, far more interesting than a more frequent yet "lessor" production that would not as much be a real collector's item in and of itself. And beyond that, the idea of doing it all for free...beh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Screw free. We don't and you certainly don't need "free". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

With best regards from Munich,

Mike in Munich (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Dec 26 2014, 03:47 AM
Post #72

Wanted to edit...unedited post appeared as well as edited. Cannot figure out how to delete original post. ??
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Dec 26 2014, 03:47 AM
Post #73

Just checked Wir Machen Druck...

152 pages, 70g inside, 300g cover...A4 (30cm x 21cm)...2000 copies: Under $2 apiece. For 500 copies...$5.50 apiece but $1,500 less total production cost.

https://www.wir-machen-druck.de/Broschuere-...detail,747.html

This is clearly just to offer an idea of print costs for a larger magazine. Larger than 152 pages not possible with them. Paper other than 70g also not, which I think is too thin.

Looking at a smaller production with 48 pages...90g inside and a 170g cover...

1,000...running at about $1.50 apiece. This, times 4 would be over $5.00 production cost per year per subscriber...and shipping...500 subscriptions...times 4 = 2000 mailings annually...2000 envelopes and over $2000 additional costs. This adds up to something like $5k per year, not to mention your time, and again, I'm not sure if you can get these prices over there, though I reckon it should be possible. Costs are in any case the same or less.

Mike
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 26 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #74

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Of course I'm in. This is very cool and I appreciate your thoughtfulness to the community. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Dec 26 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 5,610

Subscribed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Konrad
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Dec 26 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 25 2014, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 25 2014, 12:11 PM) *

When you subscribed you should have received an email that requested that you email your physical address. If you didn't please let me know.

Thanks for this note. with multiple email accounts I don't frequently check them all. Just responded with address.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 26 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #77

Advanced Member

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Dec 26 2014, 04:38 AM) *

Greetings from Germany! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

I personally really appreciate good print material and have a lot of experience over 20 years of printing my own brochures / publications here in Munich for Mike's Bike Tours, my Good Food Guide, a guide of Munich, my board game, Globopolis...www.globopolis.net among other projects, the latest being an 8 page (A4..similar to 8.5x11) brochure for a campaign I am leading in my community to have a so-called Multi Aktiv Sportplatz built here. www.mas-unterfoehring.de

That background is intended to serve as perspective for the opinion I want to express here. I know about labor of love for no profit...MAS is such a project for me, and as mentioned, I know about printing and the satisfaction one has when the product comes off the press. I called that, when my board game was finished...MIC. Multiple Identical Copies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It's sweet, yes, it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

That all being said, I would like to offer my opinion regarding this idea of a free, as I imagine it "newsletter-like" quarterly publication. Clearly as conceived thus far it will require a lot of time (especially if it goes beyond being "newsletter-like") and require money to print and deliver. IMO a website can offer those interested more content than the magazine concept and INCLUDE the magazine format as a pdf. For those that would like to have it in hand in a relatively "production" format as opposed to just coming off their own printer...they can take it to their local Kinkos or copy shop and have them print it, which could also be done by email.

But that is not the main thrust of my opinion, which is to print a really NICE magazine on an annual basis for the following reasons:

1) consolidated material...best of the year kinda stuff in a larger, nicer magazine will have a much sweeter degree of satisfaction for you, Steve, as this would be the culmination of a year's work and material. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

2) it would be something which most of us would pay e.g. $5 for which would at least cover your production and shipping costs

3) it is something that would more likely be preserved and never thrown away, so that in 50 years there would still be some or many of them in the hands of 914 owners

4) it would be easy to get AA, Camp 914 et. al. to sponsor for advertising

5) there would be less, constant pressure to get the next (quarterly) issue out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

6) the website format / project would more easily allow for it to be a community project which many would contribute to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

...and I could come up with a few more reasons beyond those as well.

No matter what you choose to do, you may want to compare printing costs online with these two online printers which I have used extensively over here, just for purposes of comparison with North America prices, which I believe are higher and higher than they need to be, giving you an idea of what kind of margin the printers over there are working with. It is easy to choose a format, paper quality, number of copies, etc. and immediately find out what the cost would be, over here at least, in Euros. Multiply that figure by 1.20 or whatever the exchange rate is to get the US$ figure.

www.wir-machen-druck.de and www.flyeralarm.de

Good luck. I would love to buy your annual, top-notch production for $5. I would pay $10 for it if it was really well done, which naturally it could and I imagine would be. Again, IMO, this concept is, at least for me, far more interesting than a more frequent yet "lessor" production that would not as much be a real collector's item in and of itself. And beyond that, the idea of doing it all for free...beh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Screw free. We don't and you certainly don't need "free". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

With best regards from Munich,

Mike in Munich (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. They are very good points. We will take a look.
+Quote Post
don-6
post Dec 26 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #78

Stock vs Modified?

Member No.: 17,219
Region Association: Southwest Region

Subscribed!

Thanks Steve.
+Quote Post
jack20
post Dec 26 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 21 2014, 10:04 AM) *

In assembling the 914 calendar we just finished, I had the opportunity to go through a lot of pictures of great 914s. They were very inspiring. In addition, a number of people sent me the "story" of their car. What struck me the most was that each car is a work of art (regardless of its current condition), with a story behind it. A story that should be told.

I decided to take on the project of creating a print publication dedicated to the 914, called Fourteener Motoring (since the car was called the "Fourteener" internally at Porsche). A decade or so ago I founded a small, industry magazine for the field I was involved in. It is something that I think will fit in the 914 community well.

The magazine will be published quarterly, at least initially. I am using a small format that will fit in the glovebox. It will include feature stories, tech articles, product reviews, racing coverage, as well as event news and stories. My goal is to put something out closer to the magazines that were actually fun and useful to read when I was getting into cars in the 1970s.

A traditional magazine revenue model would likely not work in this small of a niche. So, I am going to do it a little differently. Subscriptions are FREE, at least for as long as I can make that work. I will evaluate it more as time goes on. But, I would like to try a free model.

To subscribe to the magazine you can go to - fourteenermotoring.com. When you subscribe you will receive an email requesting that you send a physical address where the magazine can be mailed.

If you have a 914 story that you think should be told, or are interested in writing an article (or two, etc.), covering events, or helping in any way, please PM me or email me at - stevegm@mac.com

Steve,
Please put me on the subscription list.
Thank you for your gift to the community.
Jack

+Quote Post
kid914
post Dec 26 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #80

ALWAYS lead...NEVER follow!!!!

Member No.: 12,811
Region Association: Canada

not sure it worked but I subscribed....... I'm in . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

25 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:17 AM