Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fourteener Motoring Magazine - UPDATE
nihil44
post Dec 26 2014, 11:49 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,058
Region Association: None

Steve,

I would favour the electronic format as I live in Australia.

I subscribe to the English mag 'Classic Porsche' which I download on to the iPad. In moments of boredom I often go back to re read articles from back issues without having lots of bookshelf space tied up.

It would be nice in an app form perhaps or maybe embedded in 914world as a mag without your losing ownership and autonomy.

It is a very generous concept of yours and characteristic of the overall generosity of spirit of this community. We are very fortunate.

I am sure suggestions for content will be forthcoming and so I may as we'll put my oar in.

I would like to see some profile articles of the 'elders' of this community ie people with the cred and frequent contributors. We have all been the beneficiaries of the advice from the likes of Eric Shea, Dr Evil, Mark Whitesell, Chris Foley etc and we could even profile George Hussey fromAA - a much maligned figure but I bet most of us have his catalog and 700 Hints book.

I would also like to know how the 914's we're put together on the assembly line. Who was responsible for the gearshift adjustment before the car went out the gate? Probably a topic for a PHd in anthropology

Good luck Steve. I don't think you should be doing a project like this for nothing.

David
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Dec 27 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Great idea. I look forward to reading the articles.

I just subscribed.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

Thank you to everyone for their support and encouragement. Your suggestions have been very helpful. And the number of subscriptions has exceeded our expectations. Thank you. We are reconsidering our model based on your comments. We have also received quite a few emails both from people wiling to write for the magazine, as well as potential story ideas. I think you will like what we have planned. Let me give you a little of the logic behind the decision to make the magazine free.

Magazines live and die based on subscription base. The number of people that subscribe is the first, second, and third priority. The 914 niche is not large enough to support a traditional magazine, which typically enjoys well in excess of 20,000 subscribers, even for the small auto magazines. Based on research, it appears that only about 20,000 914s are left, worldwide, in total. And many of those are owned by people who own multiple cars. We truly are a small community.

In other words, we need every last 914 enthusiast to be a subscriber (please share the link with every 914 enthusiast you know). If we charge any fee at all associated with a subscription, even $1 per year, we won't get everyone to subscribe. It isn't just the $1 itself that will cause people to not subscribe. Many people don't bother if they have to send in money, or don't use Paypal, etc. Charging a subscription hurts subscriptions, and I don't want to impede subscriptions in any way.

I still believe print has value in certain situations, and cars is one of those. But, I hear your comments regarding the potential interactive benefits of a digital magazine. Those suggestions are the ones that really got me to reconsider the model. What I have been working on this week to determine if it will work is this:

Free PDF version of the magazine delivered via email;
Optional paid print magazine delivered via snail mail (all print subscribers could also receive the PDF version).

The risk of this model is that the number of paid print subscribers will be so low that it will drive up the printing costs per unit, and make it impossible to continue the print version. This is not something I want to see happen, as I believe the print version has value. And I further believe that when you see the quality that I think we can put out you will agree.

I need to know from you how many of you would be willing to pay for the print version, over the free PDF, in this model? I suspect that the paid subscription, for the quarterly publication, would be $15 to $20/year. This feedback will help us further evaluate the best way to set this up.

Here is the poll - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2126969

Sorry for the second thread for the poll, once a thread is started it doesn't appear that you can add a poll to it.

Thanks,
Steve
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Double post. Sorry.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 30 2014, 09:28 AM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. And we have received a lot of story ideas, as well as some offers to help write articles for the magazine. I think you will like what we have planned.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Dec 30 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #86

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Subscribed I think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
crsedge
post Jan 3 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 14,304

Another subscriber from Australia!

Stoked, I pour through Ultra VW and Classic Porsche mag for articles on 914s with little success!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Cheers

Craig
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 11 2015, 10:45 AM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Thank you for all of the feedback. It has been very helpful. We are expecting the first issue (1st quarter of 2015), to mail on March 1st.

We are looking for someone that would like to write an article about the current market for 914s. Both 4s and 6s. If your interested PM me. The pay sucks. But, it's interesting work.

Other writers we need:

1. Is anyone doing a 6 conversion that would like to write about it.
2. Racing events, experiences, etc.
3. 914 events in general.
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Jan 18 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

Hi Steve!

A great idea! I like a hard copy version!

As a price benchmark I suggest the following German mags to you as a benchmark.

They all are published only once or twice a year:

VW Classics (5.90 EUR)
Porsche Klassik (8.00 EUR)
Käfer Revue (5.50 EUR)

Good luck!
Kaeferfreund

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 29 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

Thank you for all of your feedback. It was very helpful. We have made some decisions. We plan to offer a PDF version for free and a print version for a subscription of $19.99 per year. Based on what everyone's comments, we reconsidered our model to make sure it is providing the most value to the 914 community, as well as being a sustainable project. In addition, there was an overwhelming consensus that a print version has value.

The magazine layout, styles, etc. have all be designed. Most of the articles for the first issue are in and are being edited. We expect the first issue to go to print in about a month. I will follow up with subscription info in a couple weeks. Thanks again. I really think you will like what we have planned.
+Quote Post
funk
post Jan 29 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 17,531
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey now I'm subscribed yippy! but reading a good portion of the folks who weren't into it because of various reasons, most concern for your finances!! so why not take donations on your website?I saw people saying money for postage,paper but no one mentioned the cost of ink! A very expensive medium indeed! I know people would donate just to have a cool mag to COLLECT!Some said save the trees and I am a lover of the earth my home but there is recycled or partially recycled ect.. so anyway I say we donate to fourteener mag !!Personally I get sick of being on the computer all the time anyway!!KUDOS

To: jeff bowlsby: hey man this will be a magazine to collect not just throw away.You know passed on to your children. LOL I bet you live in a wooden house.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 29 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

QUOTE(funk @ Jan 29 2015, 07:51 PM) *

Hey now I'm subscribed yippy! but reading a good portion of the folks who weren't into it because of various reasons, most concern for your finances!! so why not take donations on your website?I saw people saying money for postage,paper but no one mentioned the cost of ink! A very expensive medium indeed! I know people would donate just to have a cool mag to COLLECT!Some said save the trees and I am a lover of the earth my home but there is recycled or partially recycled ect.. so anyway I say we donate to fourteener mag !!Personally I get sick of being on the computer all the time anyway!!KUDOS

To: jeff bowlsby: hey man this will be a magazine to collect not just throw away.You know passed on to your children. LOL I bet you live in a wooden house.

I hear you. I'm not one to ask for donations. Rather than make a donation, I'd rather see everyone buy a - Save the 914 - shirt, or something. I think we have a model that will work with a free PDF (to make sure that everybody that wants it gets it), and a paid print subscription. That will cover both angles. The thing that makes this difficult is simply the size of the 914 community. While the number of people that have signed up has been very good, the overall 914 community is very small in magazine terms. Even if everyone that is active in 914world subscribed, it is still a fairly small number compared to a traditional magazine base (easily 20,000 or more). So, you can't use a traditional model with this magazine. And I am not doing this for the money. So, it's all good. We will make it work. And I think you will find the magazine provides value.

Save the 914 - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248231
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 29 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #93

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2014, 11:22 PM) *

I dunno, it sounds cool—and it's cool that you want to do it.

Sounds a bit like the old Twin Trunks Tribune, which I loved, and the early R Gruppe "magazine," which I also loved.

Also sounds like you've got pretty realistic expectations—so why not pursue it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete

I have an early Pete Stout submission for Twin Trunks Tribune, that I'm holding for ransom; now that he's a big time Porsche magazine heavyweight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Mar 9 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #94

Advanced Member

UPDATE:

The Fourteener Motoring Magazine website is live. It is a "soft launch," and is by no means complete. The website will carry articles between issues, long running series' (like project cars), and the articles from issues after they are published. The first issue of the print magazine ran behind because of design conflicts (we are using a unique format that took some working out). We have worked them out now. In addition, given the importance of the Amelia Island honoring of the 914 I thought it would be good to include it in the first issue. The first print issue will be out the first week of April, and will include Amelia Island, Eric's Trip, and some other great stories. We will be sending emails out to subscribers in the next couple of weeks. We have decided to provide the PDF for free, and the print version for a subscription of $19.99 per year.
+Quote Post
turk22
post Mar 9 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #95

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very cool to see the website up, I'm in for the print subscription!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Mar 28 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

We are excited to announce that the the first issue is done and will be mailed out the first week of April. Thank you for your support. The magazine includes:
    Feature stories about 914s and their owners
    Event coverage
    News
    Product Reviews
    Tech articles
    Project cars
    and more
There are two ways to subscribe. We offer the print version of the magazine, mailed to you for $19.99 per year. Or you can receive the email PDF version for FREE. We want everybody to get it. Warning - the print version is awesome (removable center-fold featuring a 914, in each issue). When you see the print version we know you will want it.

PRINT MAGAZINE - Subscribe to Print version

EMAIL PDF VERSION - Subscribe to Email PDF version

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Next
post Mar 28 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Steve. Subscribed for Print!
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Mar 28 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just subscribed for print version! Thanks!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #99

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I subscribed to both versions. Thanks!
Mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Mar 28 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 16,470

Subscribed for print. Thank you for your work.
+Quote Post

25 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:45 AM