Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> brake question ; v8 350 HP, stock vs BMW vs 911
got914?
post Dec 24 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,993
Region Association: None

OKay ive searched and read every topic I can find and there seems to be a bit of conflicting information. Now I realize obviously the 911 5 lug is going to be the best option I have but is it really necessary ? And again yes im spending all this money on a v8 swap why not go full out but...
Yes I also realize tires play a big factor in braking as well. I will be running 8 inch wide tires so no worries there.

Can I get any info from people who have done the actual swaps.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
Bruce Hinds
post Dec 24 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #2

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It depends on what kind of driving you're going to be doing.
The standard 914 brakes are okay for regular driving but it's real easy to go 911 on front and just drill the rears for 5 lugs. Unless you're going racing, you really don't need much more than that.
It's more about the big wheels and tires than the power or weight of the car. The SBC chevy conversion is only 250 lbs more weight, but bigger wheels and tires have more rotating mass and a lot more grip.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 24 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

My car had a V8, now it has a 4 cyl with more power. I have 930 turbo brakes. They are not the lightest option but they work extremely well.

If you stay with stock brakes, plan on a full rebuild at least. There is debate over the benefit of BMW calipers. Why not spend the money on a 5 lug conversion? It will cost more but it's money well spent.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 24 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 5 lug conversion, 911 calipers. The BMW calipers are a little better than the stock, but not that much - from my experience.

Another thought; don't tailgate.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Dec 24 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #5

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

7in17's in front; 9in 17's in rear. 911 Carrera brakes all corners with 23mm master cylinder. As said before, "DO NOT tailgate!!". Reasoning is not because of the brakes which are more than adequate but because the master cylinder requires a strong leg.

One of these days I will put an electric brake boost on the master cylinder and a hydraulic clutch.

Car is a very nervous one which requires everything to be set just right. But, so enjoyable.

Steve
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 24 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Is the Volvo option for brakes the same as the BMW being as they're both ATE calipers?
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Dec 25 2014, 05:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,674

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Dec 24 2014, 08:24 PM) *

7in17's in front; 9in 17's in rear. 911 Carrera brakes all corners with 23mm master cylinder. As said before, "DO NOT tailgate!!". Reasoning is not because of the brakes which are more than adequate but because the master cylinder requires a strong leg.

One of these days I will put an electric brake boost on the master cylinder and a hydraulic clutch.

Car is a very nervous one which requires everything to be set just right. But, so enjoyable.

Steve

Steve, I have a 23 mm master cylinder from a 450 SL Mercedes and have yet to try it out, as the car is still in CA and being sent to Germany next month. I have only found one other comment about a 23mm MC and it was negative; regarding lack of range in the pedal and potentially locking up more easily. I will be riding on Toyo Proxes RA1, 225 50 15s with 944 turbo brakes in the front and RX7s in the rear. Any feedback?

Mike in Munich
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 25 2014, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 24 2014, 11:51 PM) *

Is the Volvo option for brakes the same as the BMW being as they're both ATE calipers?

Volvo calipers offer a real dual circuit design which requires the right type of master cylinder, but they are really the best choice for safety and racing.

For the OP, are you serious?

You may have over 200 hp pushing a car around that was originally designed for a 100 hp motor.

it may be in your best interest to consider getting larger brakes with vented rotors up front.

Rich
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 25 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #9

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I am running a 23mm unit from a Mercedes with Wilwood super light 2's.

Brake feel is almost zero travel requiring a heavy foot. This was a race car however, so I believe that is the feel that many racers are looking for.

Matt

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Dec 25 2014, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Dec 24 2014, 08:24 PM) *

Steve

Steve, I have a 23 mm master cylinder from a 450 SL Mercedes and have yet to try it out, as the car is still in CA and being sent to Germany next month. I have only found one other comment about a 23mm MC and it was negative; regarding lack of range in the pedal and potentially locking up more easily. I will be riding on Toyo Proxes RA1, 225 50 15s with 944 turbo brakes in the front and RX7s in the rear. Any feedback?

Mike in Munich

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 26 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #10

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The bigger MC just makes for a harder pedal. I'd still stick with the 19mm (or maybe even the 17mm if you're going with the 911 brakes.)
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Dec 27 2014, 12:02 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 26 2014, 07:03 AM) *

The bigger MC just makes for a harder pedal. I'd still stick with the 19mm (or maybe even the 17mm if you're going with the 911 brakes.)

A lot of people have had great luck going the 19 mm and 911 vented calipers/rotors. Eric Shea EMER brake 308 calipers in the rear allow vented 911 rotors and stock mechanical emergency brakes (308 style).
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 27 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Volvo calipers add a shit load of un-sprung weight. Bad. A full 911 brake conversion is the best.

With the stock tire diameter and contact patch a fresh set of 914-4 brakes are great.

Increase the tire width/contact patch and weight of the wheels, add engine weight and change the balance of the car and you need to increase the clamping force of the calipers.

Contact patch increases the traction but also changes the modulation at the peddle. Increase the tire size and it adds weight to the spinning mass. This requires an increase in clamping force at the rotor.

Bigger brakes have nothing to do with hp. Take the Wankel three rotor for instance. Lighter than the type VI but capable of serious hp. numbers. What have you changed? Now add contact patch for traction, heavier rubber and wheels....

You choice for stopping power has everything to do with the type of engine, tires and wheels you select. As is the 914-4 stops very well.

With that said my Alien has BMW 2002 4 piston calipers on stock 914-4 rotors up front 19mm master and p-valve delete.
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 27 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

With out trying to sound snotty, the rear 993 caliper fits the SC front rotors. The calipers need the bolt holes widened 1mm and 1mm needs to be milled off to inset the caliper to center over the rotor.
The rear 993 has the small pistons but the big pads the fit the big rotor. So the pedal feel with the 19mm or even the 17mm master is great. But you do need the 911 struts in front. It's all about dissipating heat on the high speed stops. Any brake system should be good at 55. But the stopping distinse and heat are much greater at 80-100mph, even in our light cars.

Jcl
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 28 2014, 01:49 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2014, 09:35 AM) *

Volvo calipers add a shit load of un-sprung weight. Bad. A full 911 brake conversion is the best.

With the stock tire diameter and contact patch a fresh set of 914-4 brakes are great.

Increase the tire width/contact patch and weight of the wheels, add engine weight and change the balance of the car and you need to increase the clamping force of the calipers.

Contact patch increases the traction but also changes the modulation at the peddle. Increase the tire size and it adds weight to the spinning mass. This requires an increase in clamping force at the rotor.

Bigger brakes have nothing to do with hp. Take the Wankel three rotor for instance. Lighter than the type VI but capable of serious hp. numbers. What have you changed? Now add contact patch for traction, heavier rubber and wheels....

You choice for stopping power has everything to do with the type of engine, tires and wheels you select. As is the 914-4 stops very well.

With that said my Alien has BMW 2002 4 piston calipers on stock 914-4 rotors up front 19mm master and p-valve delete.

You have solid rotors with 4 piston calipers? What about the heat dissapation at speed? Do you have any longevity in your pads or do you fade out quickly after a couple of higher speed stops? I've always heard (and it's been my experience) that vented front rotors work better, 'specially with your v8 I thought you'd have the big brake package...
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 28 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 28 2014, 01:49 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2014, 09:35 AM) *

You have solid rotors with 4 piston calipers? What about the heat dissapation at speed? Do you have any longevity in your pads or do you fade out quickly after a couple of higher speed stops? I've always heard (and it's been my experience) that vented front rotors work better, 'specially with your v8 I thought you'd have the big brake package...

If I were racing the car I'd have a different setup entirely. But for an occasional blast through some twisties they have preformed well. I have run thousands of miles zigzagging cross country an still have the same pads and rotors I installed in 2004.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:51 AM