Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original 6's for sale, - I have my doubts
mepstein
post Dec 26 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #1

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Does anyone but me feel like there are more original 6's than is expected. Rust and crashes must have taken out quite a few over the years. I have no proof, just a feeling...
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 26 2014, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Same as Speedsters.
No matter the condition.
Stashed away.
Just waiting......
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 26 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Prices are up, peeps looking to cash in.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 26 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sixes are showing up regularly as Mark said. I remember that Porsche only sent about half the total production came to the US, so that means about 1650 + or - came to these shores. My guess would be 1/2 to 2/3 are gone due to the 40 + year time frame, so that would not leave that many cars around.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 26 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

If you've been around awhile you start to recognize the same cars recycling until they end up in Europe.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Dec 26 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,487
Region Association: Southern California

I agree I think with prices going up, more people are letting them surface to sell. I also think 914 is the forgotten step child of the collections so they probably are not brought out and changing hands as much as the 911s and 356s.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 27 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I have felt the same way each time a Six pops up. I would have bet 50% of the Sixes had been destroyed in accidents and/or crushed when they rusted to death. Yet a new one pops up regularly. These must have been holed-up for years in locked garages.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 27 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #8

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

When I bought my six (1921) it was advertised here, 7 years ago. Belonged to Pete Kaufman, who is the former President of Potomac PCA & became a member here just to sell his car (much more of a 911 guy). It had had a boatload of work done to it over the course of it's life & had multiple, multiple owners. I'm not sure but I think I'm either the 13th or 14th owner of the car so she's been around a few times. When a real six pops up I think it's best to keep track of the numbers & see how many times the cars get relisted.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Dec 27 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 27 2014, 07:58 AM) *

I have felt the same way each time a Six pops up. I would have bet 50% of the Sixes had been destroyed in accidents and/or crushed when they rusted to death. Yet a new one pops up regularly. These must have been holed-up for years in locked garages.

I just added mine to the registry when I joined a few months back. Not exactly holed up, but not driven regularly. As far as I know, I'm only the third or fourth owner and it hasn't changed hands in over 37 years. Barring major changes to my health, it's not likely to either.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 27 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #10

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

is there a way to sort the vin's listed here to see how many 6"s have been registered on this site? I'm not as computer savvy as some of you guys.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 27 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2014, 09:54 AM) *

is there a way to sort the vin's listed here to see how many 6"s have been registered on this site? I'm not as computer savvy as some of you guys.

Sounds like a job for DaveP! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 27 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm the second owner of my -6, and originally bought it from southern Illinois in 1977. As with others ones, it's been driven less and less frequently through the years and only coming out to club events these days. Over the years, it has been continually improved and maintained to keep it fresh, and I think there are quite a few enthusiasts that have done the same with these cars. If health permits, it's probably not going anywhere soon. Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 27 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

It does not seem to me like we are at the place when more 914-6 cars will show up then the overall number that was made, like ferraris.

These cars are easy to document, and the value is too low to have lots of people making the effort to do it at the level that it would pass a real inspection.

There are quite a few unique things that need to be changed over, especially the inner fender stamped number, which would come from a real six body.....so that would not increase the overall number of sixes anyways.

Yes, they are going up in value, it's the best of the breed, and it will continue to happen.
Happily it will drag all of our lowly four cylinder cars up with it.
On the east coast, it's fun to be one of the few old Porsches around, it's even a reality with my 84 911 just due to rust on this coast.

Rich
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 27 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #14

that's what I do!

Not as much, but you still have to be diligent if in the market. There was a certain scumbag vendor who tried to sell on ebay a /6 title and the fender stampings a couple years ago. And there was the case where a guy bought a six only to find out it was two cars (/6 front, /4 rear) welded together.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 27 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

So, I can't just rivet on a couple of ID plates and do a 911 steering column and have a real 914-6?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 27 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 27 2014, 07:45 AM) *

I'm the second owner of my -6, and originally bought it from southern Illinois in 1977. As with others ones, it's been driven less and less frequently through the years and only coming out to club events these days. Over the years, it has been continually improved and maintained to keep it fresh, and I think there are quite a few enthusiasts that have done the same with these cars. If health permits, it's probably not going anywhere soon. Attached Image

Great looking car George, it would look better here in Sunny California (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I owned a real /6 for about a week, it ended up going back to Germany...
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 27 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 27 2014, 01:09 PM) *

So, I can't just rivet on a couple of ID plates and do a 911 steering column and have a real 914-6?

Nope. Steering column & tumbler lock (therefore wiring too). No right side dash vent or the vent plumbing to go with it, therefore bigger glove box (they might have added the vent & smaller box in 72 but I'm not sure). Sixes also have a VIN that start w/ "914" so the number stamped on the right front fender would have to be changed as well as the matching plate & door jamb sticker. Plate up front also says Porsche, not VW so good luck finding a new one of those. Headlight covers/wraps would have to be white, not black. Then there's the throttle lever as well, although those seem to be available. No 4 cylinder engine mounts or motor bar, six mounts welded to the firewall. A COA would confirm the engine serial number in a heartbeat so you'd have to state it's not the original engine. Unobtanium rear six brakes also required, along w/ all 4 wheels being converted to 5 lug. Rear trunk chassis number has to be in the middle rear, not right rear corner. In other words, it would take a boatload of work & "forgery" to turn a 4 into a fake 6. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things as well that more knowledgeable people can point out.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 27 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #18

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2014, 06:54 AM) *

You don't have to be a computer wizard to click on the "914-6" link on the VIN page. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There are plenty of filters on that page, you can filter by:

- By year
- By type (4 or 6 etc.)
- By color

So, to list all original /6 cars, go to
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=membervins
and on the top under "List by Type" click on the "914-6 (1970-1972)" link ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 27 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 27 2014, 02:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 27 2014, 01:09 PM) *

Nope. Steering column & tumbler lock (therefore wiring too). No right side dash vent or the vent plumbing to go with it, therefore bigger glove box (they might have added the vent & smaller box in 72 but I'm not sure). Sixes also have a VIN that start w/ "914" so the number stamped on the right front fender would have to be changed as well as the matching plate & door jamb sticker. Plate up front also says Porsche, not VW so good luck finding a new one of those. Headlight covers/wraps would have to be white, not black. Then there's the throttle lever as well, although those seem to be available. No 4 cylinder engine mounts or motor bar, six mounts welded to the firewall. A COA would confirm the engine serial number in a heartbeat so you'd have to state it's not the original engine. Unobtanium rear six brakes also required, along w/ all 4 wheels being converted to 5 lug. Rear trunk chassis number has to be in the middle rear, not right rear corner. In other words, it would take a boatload of work & "forgery" to turn a 4 into a fake 6. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things as well that more knowledgeable people can point out.

If I had a trashed 6 and an early 4 body. I could have it done and it would be invisible to all but a few.

And those few would have to look REALLY hard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 27 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 27 2014, 04:20 PM) *

If I had a trashed 6 and an early 4 body. I could have it done and it would be invisible to all but a few.

And those few would have to look REALLY hard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but you're talking a boatload of work & after all that labor you have to wonder if you'd break even, much less make a profit. It's expensive enough to fix a rustbucket, & finding all the right 6 parts is going to cost you plenty more on top of all the other work. Oh yea, I forgot the windshield VIN plate before.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:28 AM