Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 LE Cremesicle for sale, FS
gasman
post Feb 9 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,602
Region Association: South East States

The headlight linkage covers are supposed to be grey.....hard to tell but they look dark. Also, cant use the zoom feature on the battery tray pic...?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
budk
post Feb 9 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #42

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is a head-scratcher for sure. The headlight motor covers appear light colored to me but if I were trying to sell a car that should bring a premium I would spend the $150ish and get the damn COA. I ordered my COA before I ever picked up the car!

The vin is not 14914 which he ended up correcting, he linked to Jeff site as some sort of assurance that it is the real deal however Jeff has already stated that it is clearly identified as not certified because of the lack of a COA.

I hope it's real and I assume he has received enough feedback that he will get the COA and will likely end up putting a lot more money in his pocket.
+Quote Post
Steve Snyder
post Feb 9 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 9,158

QUOTE(budk @ Feb 9 2015, 04:18 PM) *

The vin is not 14914 which he ended up correcting...

Uh, yes, the VIN is clearly shown as 14523 in the pictures. You'd almost think I would have noticed that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Please ignore my prior comments about the VIN being cool. As you were.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 9 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ok, just got off the phone with PCNA and they cannot verify over the phone any info on cars prior to '80 - '81. Older info is not in their computers. The only way you can certify that this is a CanAm/LE is to order a COA. This is starting to get interesting.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 9 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #45

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

This whole listing is weak. If I owned a real LE I would have the COA to prove its heritage and establish its value as a rare 914. Not having one is just a bit off -especially for one who has owned many Porsches.

It would be akin to me trying to sell my car and claiming it to be a 914-6 but never revealing the VIN or showing the COA and asking buyers to just trust that it is a rare(er) 914.

I expect either the owner will obtain and post a COA or some uninformed (or rich) buyer will just grab it up on the hopes it is what it is represented to be. My pockets are not that deep especially for someone I do not know. Best wishes to the seller and hopefully it truly is an LE and it is brought back to its former glory for all to enjoy. Caveat Emptor.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 9 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #46

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 9 2015, 02:03 PM) *

Ok, just got off the phone with PCNA and they cannot verify over the phone any info on cars prior to '80 - '81. Older info is not in their computers. The only way you can certify that this is a CanAm/LE is to order a COA. This is starting to get interesting.

PCNA must have either changed their previous level of customer service on the COA's or personnel, and fairly recently. Not exactly sure how they manage and process requests for COA's, it seems like its an admin pool and the level of service and therefore quality of info on the COA just depends on who picks up the phone. Years ago, they had no known phone access. Then we figured out how to call them and connected with a key person or two who were helpful, then apparently they have moved on. Now we've learned they won't assist by phone. Maybe wait a week and call again?

I always tell 914 LE owners that they need to get a COA for their car, they are only getting more and more expensive and more challenging to get correct.

News to me that they have their info on computer, good to know.
+Quote Post
Sgrass
post Aug 26 2018, 08:34 AM
Post #47

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 19,290

QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Feb 7 2015, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Feb 7 2015, 12:13 AM) *

VIN # appears to be correct. Which means this should be genuine. Does anyone disagree with this. Could a non LE car be registered with the 914 CAN-AM registry www.bowlsby.net as being genuine?

Jeff runs an informational Website; it is not directly affiliated with Porsche. So yes, this could be a non-LE car registered with Jeff's site. In fact, although this car is listed on the Jeff's site, it is clearly stated that this car is currently "Not Certified" as an LE. It also shows no information whatsoever that would identify it as an LE other than falling within the PCNA-stated VIN range (VIN 4742914914). I'm guessing the owner submitted his car to bowlsby.net as an "LE" with no supporting documentation, so Jeff listed it as "Not Certified" until he received additional evidence (hoping Jeff will weigh in with some clarification here). Jeff does not list the car as "Certified" unless he is sent a copy of the the official Porsche COA, which, as noted above, is really the only valid means of identifying authentic LE paint code cars. Perhaps Jeff will weigh in with some clarification here...

It would be awesome if this car is a true LE, because the VIN is so cool... but the seller's inability to provide a COA and unwillingness to even picture the chassis plate (with the paint code) casts serious doubt on its authenticity.

Since I am about 3 years too late in this thread this may be pointless, but just for the record, I am the original purchaser of the 914 with the serial number 4742914914. It was a black and yellow LE sold to me by Claire Porsche Audi just outside Boston in mid summer of 1974. As matter of interest the price was almost exactly $7040.00. The car was my daily driver until it was stolen from my apartment in Sherman Oaks, California (L.A.) sometime in the late '70s. I have no idea where the car ended up and haven't seen the serial number mentioned until this thread. It was an excellent car in every way, and was super in the PCA and POC events at Riverside, Ontario and Willow Springs.
+Quote Post
87m491
post Aug 31 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

3 years late or forty, there are a number of stories the past few years of stolen cars being returned to their previous owners after being rediscovered decades later. The plate in those pics say, at least then, it was still in California. Should be pretty easy to track it's movements since.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/cl...40-years-later/

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

QUOTE(Sgrass @ Aug 26 2018, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Feb 7 2015, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Feb 7 2015, 12:13 AM) *

VIN # appears to be correct. Which means this should be genuine. Does anyone disagree with this. Could a non LE car be registered with the 914 CAN-AM registry www.bowlsby.net as being genuine?

Jeff runs an informational Website; it is not directly affiliated with Porsche. So yes, this could be a non-LE car registered with Jeff's site. In fact, although this car is listed on the Jeff's site, it is clearly stated that this car is currently "Not Certified" as an LE. It also shows no information whatsoever that would identify it as an LE other than falling within the PCNA-stated VIN range (VIN 4742914914). I'm guessing the owner submitted his car to bowlsby.net as an "LE" with no supporting documentation, so Jeff listed it as "Not Certified" until he received additional evidence (hoping Jeff will weigh in with some clarification here). Jeff does not list the car as "Certified" unless he is sent a copy of the the official Porsche COA, which, as noted above, is really the only valid means of identifying authentic LE paint code cars. Perhaps Jeff will weigh in with some clarification here...

It would be awesome if this car is a true LE, because the VIN is so cool... but the seller's inability to provide a COA and unwillingness to even picture the chassis plate (with the paint code) casts serious doubt on its authenticity.

Since I am about 3 years too late in this thread this may be pointless, but just for the record, I am the original purchaser of the 914 with the serial number 4742914914. It was a black and yellow LE sold to me by Claire Porsche Audi just outside Boston in mid summer of 1974. As matter of interest the price was almost exactly $7040.00. The car was my daily driver until it was stolen from my apartment in Sherman Oaks, California (L.A.) sometime in the late '70s. I have no idea where the car ended up and haven't seen the serial number mentioned until this thread. It was an excellent car in every way, and was super in the PCA and POC events at Riverside, Ontario and Willow Springs.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:17 PM