Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3rd Brake Light Solution for 914, .... even if a GoWesty Part
mepstein
post Jan 3 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tom - I'm in. What other restomod ideas do you have?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 3 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 3 2015, 04:19 PM) *

For only $19.99 you can adapt this kit to do two 914s! And no bolting required, they are magnetic! This gives you the amazing flexibility of mounting on top the targa bar when the top is off which eliminates the glare/reflection issue, or stick it to the underside for that super stealthy look!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.pplmotorhomes.com-3573-1420320116.1.png)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magne...69626-8847.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You know, laugh though you may.....

I think you just solved my plow truck backup light problem.

I never thought about temporary lights to get the job done, until now.

I am gonna go mount up the big ass driving lights on the back, but in some temporary way so I can put them on only for plowing.....

Rich.
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Jan 3 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,585
Region Association: South East States

I did this; Got the idea from another members post and the light from banggood.com for less then $10 shipped (might have been less then $5).

Ran wires through trim and into engine bay then to trunk. took maybe a couple of hours total. another possible solution.

Attached Image

Attached Image

No glare, under cover and works great. no turn signal, just a third brake light with 26 LEDS.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 3 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #24

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Jan 3 2015, 03:32 PM) *

I did this; Got the idea from another members post and the light from banggood.com for less then $10 shipped (might have been less then $5).

Ran wires through trim and into engine bay then to trunk. took maybe a couple of hours total. another possible solution.

Attached Image

Attached Image

No glare, under cover and works great. no turn signal, just a third brake light with 26 LEDS.

How did you attach it to the underside of the roll bar?

BTW - the GoWesty one is brake only too.
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Jan 3 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,585
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

It had the sticky pads. so if need be you can remove it, but then will need to get new glue pads. I got a roll of 3M outdoor adheasive strip for maybe $5.

We also used this on my buddies 356 and attached it to the inside of the window. you can adjust the angle of the light. On his you can see a reflection on the glass when it is on but it doesn't affect the view out the back. its just a red glow.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 3 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,318

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2015, 01:39 PM) *

I did the ones on Kermee using $25 strip LED's from Autozone. They have adhesive backing & stick really well under the Targa bar. They're tied into the wiring back at the rear tail light harness. A bit of noodling around with a couple of RadioShack diodes on each side provided turn signal functionality as well.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 3 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #27

TMI....

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Jan 3 2015, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

It had the sticky pads. so if need be you can remove it, but then will need to get new glue pads. I got a roll of 3M outdoor adheasive strip for maybe $5.

We also used this on my buddies 356 and attached it to the inside of the window. you can adjust the angle of the light. On his you can see a reflection on the glass when it is on but it doesn't affect the view out the back. its just a red glow.

That's a good way to go then & easily reversible for the CW crowd - same with Kermee's solution too. Both are probably good cost effective & easily installed options along the lines of the GoWesty option.

When the time comes, then I'd like to find a way to have one I can quickly install & remove in mine, in order to have nothing showing for concours events (maybe quick connects at the wiring that I can tuck behind the back pad), but then have it in & operating for the drive to & from.

Geez, it's dang hard to type this while watching Steelers v. Ravens! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Go Stillers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jan 3 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2015, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2015, 04:14 PM) *

You wouldn't want to do anything to getto this car, right?

Hopefully to the shop this Spring! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Oh & having to run my business in some very tough times! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This is always an exciting thing. Which shop are you taking the car to?

Oh and the whole tough business climate thing is fully understood. You have really stood tall in the days after the whole Travolta in the hotel thingy. Probably most of the members don't know what you do for a living but now at least they know you have a limit.

Good luck with taking your 914 to a shop and let's all pray for a happy ending.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hands.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 3 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #29

TMI....

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 3 2015, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2015, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2015, 04:14 PM) *

You wouldn't want to do anything to getto this car, right?

Hopefully to the shop this Spring! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Oh & having to run my business in some very tough times! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This is always an exciting thing. Which shop are you taking the car to?

Oh and the whole tough business climate thing is fully understood. You have really stood tall in the days after the whole Travolta in the hotel thingy. Probably most of the members don't know what you do for a living but now at least they know you have a limit.

Good luck with taking your 914 to a shop and let's all pray for a happy ending.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hands.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Huh?? > "You have really stood tall in the days after the whole Travolta in the hotel thingy" I don't know what you're referring to on that Dave??

I think maybe you've got me confused with somebody else. I do real estate development consulting, which had been slow since the crash, & only now for 2015 picking up for small guys like me. In 2013-`14 & `12 I got jammed with other BS which interfered with actually getting & doing new business, so you can guess which a-holes do that "interfering BS"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'm going with the shop that did my Westy windows-out repaint last year & the 1980 repaint of the 914 - but this time it will be a bare metal full CW job, as opposed to the rolling resto DD level job in `80.

Drivetrain will go back to my guy Hans in Huntington Beach since 1975, which we were recently discussing will be 40 years come this summer, since he started PPIs on 10+ 914s before giving my 73 2L his blessing in Nov 75 & I closed the deal & financing 12/26/75 (2nd owner).

As you can see in Mark's 2 pix of my 914 in that earlier post, I have front & read damage dating from May `85, when a sorority bimbo ran the 914 into a wall/column in the parking structure while I was in my MBA classes - just a year after completing the 1980-84 rolling resto & driveline/suspension rebuild, plus the ravages of rust while sitting for 25-30 years in my garage.

Hopefully I'll get the other cars & trailer work under control, & the "honey doo list" additions limited ... plus some good business projects to work on for the bucks, then the 914 will move forward well.

I was originally hoping to be done for the 2014 Monterey Parade ... but that didn't even get close! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I just have too many projects to get done now before we reach retirement age (only partial for me) here in a few! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Best! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 3 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,639

Looks like a nice solution.

Just this weekend I did a 3rd brake light on my own 914 using one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-Knig...ag=theampfor-20

I mounted it facing down, underside of rollbar chrome. (will post photo later).

I have to say that it is a definite attention grabber and it looks factory installed. I used the mounting tape and did not cut or tap any wires as I picked up some piggyback quick connects at Radio Shack and simply used the existing brake light spades. Ran the wire underneath the chrome strip and through trunk. Needed a bit of extra wire but since these are LED, you can use 18-20 gauge. Again, you would really have to look for anything that looks not original. Took me a total of maybe 30 minutes.

+Quote Post
a914622
post Jan 3 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tom
Not sure but the one I got from go westy had the same angle as the rear vanagon. Mounted in the 914 to point straight back would leave a gap that I was thinking could reflect. They might have changed design?
The Volvo ones are 6 bucks at most wrecking yards and yes it is about twice the light out put as the go westy one. It will light up stop signs 2 blocks away. It's done thru focusing lences over the LEDs. I can send you one if you would like to compare in the vanagon.

Pm me a shipping address. No joke.

Jcl
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 4 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 3 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Tom
Not sure but the one I got from go westy had the same angle as the rear vanagon. Mounted in the 914 to point straight back would leave a gap that I was thinking could reflect. They might have changed design?
The Volvo ones are 6 bucks at most wrecking yards and yes it is about twice the light out put as the go westy one. It will light up stop signs 2 blocks away. It's done thru focusing lences over the LEDs. I can send you one if you would like to compare in the vanagon.

Pm me a shipping address. No joke.

Jcl

Thanx for the offer. I'm okay, as I've got one in the Westy already & my 914 won't have that 3rd lite unless I can come up with an unnoticeable quick removal solution for concours.

Someone else on here should take you up on it to try it out & post pix here for others to see it installed on a 914.

The GoWesty one I have on the Westy has a swivel in it to adjust the LED unit some up & down. The Vanagon rear hatch glass slopes back towards the top, while the 914 rear glass is just the opposite, so I was thinking that someone using it would mount it to the 914 glass "upside down" relative to the Westy/Vanagon mounting orientation.

I can see how the lenses you mention would enhance the rear lighting, which is even more important on the low sitting 914s!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 4 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #33

TMI....

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 3 2015, 08:52 PM) *

Looks like a nice solution.

Just this weekend I did a 3rd brake light on my own 914 using one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-Knig...ag=theampfor-20

I mounted it facing down, underside of rollbar chrome. (will post photo later).

I have to say that it is a definite attention grabber and it looks factory installed. I used the mounting tape and did not cut or tap any wires as I picked up some piggyback quick connects at Radio Shack and simply used the existing brake light spades. Ran the wire underneath the chrome strip and through trunk. Needed a bit of extra wire but since these are LED, you can use 18-20 gauge. Again, you would really have to look for anything that looks not original. Took me a total of maybe 30 minutes.

That's comparable time/ease on installation to the GoWesty one, & it too is also reversible in using the adhesive double-stick tape.

Please do post your install pix here when you get a chance!

BTW the GoWesty kit included the piggyback connector also for the Vanagon/Westy install, but I suspect you'd need extra wire for it on the 914 case as well.

I noticed in the description at your link to the item above, that it also includes the TS flashing + 3rd brake light function, so that's an added benefit.

I wonder if it could also be installed inside the cabin under the rollbar? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Contrary to Mr. Epstein's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) on resto-modding & the PT Cruzer pic - I am NOT planning any "mods" to my resto, except the typical period correct accessories I've had since it was new & some SSI HE's I got to replace my holed OEM HE's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

However, I would consider adding an inconspicuous (from the interior & when removed for concours events) 3rd brake lite in a removable set-up for more safety when driving.

I'm also noodling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) how to convert a spare old ashtray into a mount for an extra pair of gauges for engine monitoring - CHT & Oil Pressure would be nice additions to the OT & Volts at the center console - with a hidden quick connect in the back of the dash from the ashtray slot & down to the center console to the tunnel & out of sight. That way I can disconnect & remove the CHT & OP mount & put in the stock ashtray for concours events & keep it all correct to stock, but have the benefit while driving!

I'll also add a hidden digital player adapter from Woody's Customs, to the back of the original OE dealer supplied AM/FM/8-track unit, so I can plug in modern media for my 50's, 60's & early 70's Oldies music! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All would be out-of-sight & able to present the restored car as original when desired, but to also drive it with some inconspicuous added conveniences & safety features.

Buuuut ...... I gotta get the dang thing to the body & mechanics shops first!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 4 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #34

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

There should be no argument discussion on which 3rd brake light solution to go with on your 914. They all NEED a 3rd brake light. If you don't have one on your 914 you should be looking into a solution.

Don't wait until this happens to your 914 before installing a 3rd brake light. The 3rd brake light may not have prevented the young girl from slamming into my 914 but the 914 would have had a larger brake light footprint.

Attached Image

Now I'm using United Pacific 38949B - United Pacific LED Taillight Bar available at Summit Racing. They come in 6, 9, and 12 inch lengths. This is the 12 inch model.

My goal was to be minimally invasive to the car and not cut or splice anything into the wire harness.

The light doesn't block any rear view as it is hidden because of the interior roll trim.

Attached Image

I used 2 right angle supports to attach to the roll trim. A little filing of the rear of the roll trim for the angle brackets are the only modifications to the car. The wiring is run behind the roll trim.

Attached Image

Ground attachment behind the relay board.

Attached Image

Used a piggyback spade connector to tap into the brake circuit.

Attached Image

Lots of light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 4 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #35

TMI....

Great pix Jerry, I'm sure those looking at this will appreciate them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I realize now that I should've done a mock-up of the GoWesty one on my 914 for pix for others before mounting it on my Westy, so that others could see that alternative too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 4 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #36

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I do want a 3rd brake light, I installed one in my '67 bug, pretty sure it makes a difference. I also have a bike flasher (4short, 4 long then on constant) on the 3rd light only, I don't know if this works or if it's just annoying. Also don't know if it's legal.

The issue I have with the under the bar light shown is it would obstruct the line of sight out the (my) rear view mirror. Would anyone comment on this point?

The corvette light might not work either as I'll be using a GT hood.
But keep the ideas coming as I will have a 3rd light one way or the other.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 4 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #37

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 01:06 PM) *

I do want a 3rd brake light, I installed one in my '67 bug, pretty sure it makes a difference. I also have a bike flasher (4short, 4 long then on constant) on the 3rd light only, I don't know if this works or if it's just annoying. Also don't know if it's legal.

The issue I have with the under the bar light shown is it would obstruct the line of sight out the (my) rear view mirror. Would anyone comment on this point?

The corvette light might not work either as I'll be using a GT hood.
But keep the ideas coming as I will have a 3rd light one way or the other.

flip the Vette light upside down and mount it under the roll bar. The biggest issue will be fishing the wire through the roll bar ( which is doable ) and the possible visual obstruction for you
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 4 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #38

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 04:06 PM) *

I wondered the same thing. I did a search here of all the 3rd brake light threads and someone else had come to the conclusion that the interior roll hoop trim already obscures that part of the rear window. You can't see it at all from the driver's seat. The one I used is only 5/8 inch tall.

You can simulate adding a light on the bottom of the roll hoop on your car by cutting a strip of paper 5/8 inch by 12 inch and tape it to the bottom of the trim.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 4 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #39

TMI....

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 4 2015, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 04:06 PM) *

I wondered the same thing. I did a search here of all the 3rd brake light threads and someone else had come to the conclusion that the interior roll hoop trim already obscures that part of the rear window. You can't see it at all from the driver's seat. The one I used is only 5/8 inch tall.

You can simulate adding a light on the bottom of the roll hoop on your car by cutting a strip of paper 5/8 inch by 12 inch and tape it to the bottom of the trim.

The rollbar upper pad also has a little bit of space between it & the glass which may allow one or any of these to tuck up in there. Maybe the Vette, Volvo & simple LED light strips & Spoke's unit can get all the way up there clear of view completely, but I think the GoWesty one is taller. That keeps them out of the weather & wiring can be dropped behind the backpad & threaded out back thru the main harness grommet.

PS -

This is the GoWesty sold unit by itself for size comparison to the others on here:

Attached Image Attached Image

I just measured mine on the Westy, & the overall unit is 9" W x 2" H - which includes a 3/8" flat flange all around for the sticky strip to adhere to the glass, & the back housing is 8-3/8" L x 1-1/4" H & 1-1/4" D - with a standard 1/2" H x 8" L LED strip that swivels within the housing to keep it level to face out properly (so no need to invert it for the 914's back-sloping rear glass).

I think that you can tuck the upper mounting flange up between the 914's interior upper rollbar pad & the glass, & simply trim off the lower flange if it intrudes into the vision area too much. Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Because this is set up to mount to glass & swivel to any angle of rear window slope, I'd bet that they are also available elsewhere online, FLAPS, etc. as well.

And any of them could be mounted as a pair - left & right for 2 behind the headrests - for even more light & visibility, with zero rearward view restriction being behind the headrests anyway.

Kermeee had that set-up plus a L & R down-leg, which I assume the verticals are the turn signals portion at the L & R sides.

A lot of good ideas & options coming up here - far more than I realized were out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Keep them coming, as I'm sure those looking now & searching in the future will appreciate the data bank here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Frankly, as low & small as our 914s are compared to the typical road behemoths - we really need need a dozen big ole yellow rotating beacons all over them .... & then some would still hit it while distracted!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I can't believe how many airheads miss our Westy & pull out in front of it, or others who don't pay attention when we're towing our trailer & start to pull behind the tow vehicle to change lanes into the trailer!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Fortunately they've all caught themselves in time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I mean really - how do you not see a big ole 20' long 9' tall 8' wide silver twinkie on wheels!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 4 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #40

TMI....

So Jerry, our Steelers blew it yesterday! ..... Dang!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I see you've switched to a 'Quins logo now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
..... You need both + Bucs in your avitar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I remember the Hornets waaay back when I was there waaay back when! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slits.gif)

Best! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:34 PM