Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3rd Brake Light Solution for 914, .... even if a GoWesty Part
McMark
post Jan 4 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

IMHO, it's better to mount the third brake light low (on the engine lid) because the upper part of the roll/targa bar seems like a good idea until you realize how much it can block your rear view mirror.

The corvette unit can be polished as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) We did it on a customer car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jan 4 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #42

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,897

Very nice. And it hardly blocks the view as much as the license plate.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 4 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #43

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 4 2015, 09:05 PM) *

We don't have eyes in the backs of our heads...only our mothers do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 4 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #44

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 4 2015, 09:05 PM) *

We don't have eye in the backs of our heads...only our mothers do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 4 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 3 2015, 11:52 PM) *

Looks like a nice solution.

Just this weekend I did a 3rd brake light on my own 914 using one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-Knig...ag=theampfor-20

I mounted it facing down, underside of rollbar chrome. (will post photo later).

I have to say that it is a definite attention grabber and it looks factory installed. I used the mounting tape and did not cut or tap any wires as I picked up some piggyback quick connects at Radio Shack and simply used the existing brake light spades. Ran the wire underneath the chrome strip and through trunk. Needed a bit of extra wire but since these are LED, you can use 18-20 gauge. Again, you would really have to look for anything that looks not original. Took me a total of maybe 30 minutes.

I did not enable the running lights (just snip and insulate blue wire). The flashing stop light feature definitely commands attention. I put a piece of black electric tape along the window side so that it does not light up the cabin. If I were starting over I would probably just use some flat black model paint on that side. Given that the 914 sits so low, I like the fact that the light is mounted up higher where SUV's and minivans are more likey to notice.

+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 4 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #46

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 03:06 PM) *

I do want a 3rd brake light, I installed one in my '67 bug, pretty sure it makes a difference. I also have a bike flasher (4short, 4 long then on constant) on the 3rd light only, I don't know if this works or if it's just annoying. Also don't know if it's legal.

The issue I have with the under the bar light shown is it would obstruct the line of sight out the (my) rear view mirror. Would anyone comment on this point?

The corvette light might not work either as I'll be using a GT hood.
But keep the ideas coming as I will have a 3rd light one way or the other.

Mark my corvette brake light on my GT lid.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 4 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #47

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 4 2015, 11:30 AM) *

All would be out-of-sight & able to present the restored car as original when desired, but to also drive it with some inconspicuous added conveniences & safety features.

But, won't you know it's not concours correct? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 4 2015, 11:49 PM
Post #48

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All would be out-of-sight & able to present the restored car as original when desired, but to also drive it with some inconspicuous added conveniences & safety features.

But, won't you know it's not concours correct? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 5 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #49

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 4 2015, 09:49 PM) *

Oh, but that would be concours correct under PCA's rules, with the additional "exposed in use" items out & only the hidden wiring in.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Jan 25 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 2 2015, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 1 2015, 09:30 PM) *

The rear glass angle on the vanagon is the same as the Volvo wagons. There led brake light can fit on the lip of the rear vanagon shelf or direct mount to the glass. Way brighter and way cheaper. I have one of the gowesty lights and not sure if it would fit in the 914? Or I would worry about reflection off the rear glass?
Jcl

JCL -

The GoWesty one sticks onto the rear glass - so no reflection is possible - period. It's a clean LED unit & adds that is enclosed from the back (drivers vision) side.

This is on sale for $25 now - regular price is $30 - so I sincerely doubt that a Volvo part is going to be less than that!

I also doubt that the Volvo one is any brighter than this multi-LED unit.

It's an interior mount, so no need to be waterproof, although the casing appears to be similar to some other exterior trunk lid mounted ones that I've seen.

When this is mounted on the inside, top, of rear window, I'm wondering if it obstructs the rear view mirror?

I wonder if a person could use those strip lights in the same position on the inside, but maybe could make/find some sort of housing for it to be mounted in, and stick them in, and would be a lower profile?

Do those strip lights have an adhesive on them?

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 25 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #51

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 25 2015, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 2 2015, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 1 2015, 09:30 PM) *

The rear glass angle on the vanagon is the same as the Volvo wagons. There led brake light can fit on the lip of the rear vanagon shelf or direct mount to the glass. Way brighter and way cheaper. I have one of the gowesty lights and not sure if it would fit in the 914? Or I would worry about reflection off the rear glass?
Jcl

JCL -

The GoWesty one sticks onto the rear glass - so no reflection is possible - period. It's a clean LED unit & adds that is enclosed from the back (drivers vision) side.

This is on sale for $25 now - regular price is $30 - so I sincerely doubt that a Volvo part is going to be less than that!

I also doubt that the Volvo one is any brighter than this multi-LED unit.

It's an interior mount, so no need to be waterproof, although the casing appears to be similar to some other exterior trunk lid mounted ones that I've seen.

When this is mounted on the inside, top, of rear window, I'm wondering if it obstructs the rear view mirror?

I wonder if a person could use those strip lights in the same position on the inside, but maybe could make/find some sort of housing for it to be mounted in, and stick them in, and would be a lower profile?

Do those strip lights have an adhesive on them?

I guess you could take the LED light strip out of the housing & use double-stick foam tape to attach it to either the inside of the glass or top roll-bar pad, since it's only +/- 1/2" high.

But experiment first with it temp. taped to the glass in the housing to see if you can trim the top &/or bottom flanges with the sticky tape to reduce the height - maybe even both top & bottom - just leaving 2 "ears L&R to adhere to the glass.

IIRC they're still on sale to 1/31/15 & go on sale from time to time at GoWesty.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:40 PM