Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RIP & God Speed Lloyd Silacci, 914 Bonneville Racer passed @ 93
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 7 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #1

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just got word that Lloyd Silacci passed away. He built and raced this car at Bonneville through the last Speedweek in 2013. I thought many of you would appreciate a man who used his 914 in a more nontraditional way; straight-line high-speed racing. Apparently Lloyd didn't get the word that you can't turbo a 914. . . RIP Lloyd!!

Here's a quote from Burley Burlille who is the VW Challenge founder and a guy who knew him well.

"Yesterday I was made aware of the passing of Lloyd Silacci, one of our VW Challengers. Lloyd was 93 and died peacefully at his home in his sleep in Petaluma, California. Lloyd was a long, long time Bonneville racer in a variety of different makes and models of cars and became a VW Challenger with his Volkswagen-Porsche 914. The VW-Porsche was powered by a two liter flat four equipped with four (4) Audi turbochargers. Within the last two years Lloyd had added improved aero to the 914 in hopes of setting a new record with his SCTA/BNI full competition racer. Below is a pic of Lloyd and the 914.

Attached Image
Still active and racing at 92........................

Attached Image
The four turbo 914 two liter engine.

Lloyd was an out of the box thinker and tinkerer and his friend and crew member Greg Leno will continue to compete at Speedweek with Lloyds Honda sedan.

Lloyd, we all wish you God Speed and hope we can carry on your Bonneville racing tradition into the future.

Burly Burlile
VW 36hp & BB Challenge
www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge

Freelance Photo Journalist
Society of Land Speed Racing Historian (SOLSRH)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 7 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

RIP Lloyd...

To a life well lived! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 7 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

geez, only 4 turbos? rip. a sound clip of that car at speed would be more than interesting.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 7 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #4

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Puts a whole new spin on God Speed....RIP
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 7 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 7 2015, 04:04 PM) *

I just got word that Lloyd Silacci passed away. He built and raced this car at Bonneville through the last Speedweek in 2013. I thought many of you would appreciate a man who used his 914 in a more nontraditional way; straight-line high-speed racing. Apparently Lloyd didn't get the word that you can't turbo a 914. . . RIP Lloyd!!

Here's a quote from Burley Burlille who is the VW Challenge founder and a guy who knew him well.

"Yesterday I was made aware of the passing of Lloyd Silacci, one of our VW Challengers. Lloyd was 93 and died peacefully at his home in his sleep in Petaluma, California. Lloyd was a long, long time Bonneville racer in a variety of different makes and models of cars and became a VW Challenger with his Volkswagen-Porsche 914. The VW-Porsche was powered by a two liter flat four equipped with four (4) Audi turbochargers. Within the last two years Lloyd had added improved aero to the 914 in hopes of setting a new record with his SCTA/BNI full competition racer. Below is a pic of Lloyd and the 914.

Attached Image
Still active and racing at 92........................

Attached Image
The four turbo 914 two liter engine.

Lloyd was an out of the box thinker and tinkerer and his friend and crew member Greg Leno will continue to compete at Speedweek with Lloyds Honda sedan.

Lloyd, we all wish you God Speed and hope we can carry on your Bonneville racing tradition into the future.

Burly Burlile
VW 36hp & BB Challenge
www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge

Freelance Photo Journalist
Society of Land Speed Racing Historian (SOLSRH)

It would be nice to honor Lloyd in Fourteener Motoring magazine. If anyone has information about his career, etc. please send it to me. I'd like to include a story in the upcoming issue.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:18 AM