Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> valance color black shiny or satin?, what was factory?
buck toenges
post Jan 9 2015, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

I am getting my valances powder coated. Was factory satin finished? What is the opinion for shiny black? I am refinishing a '70 to Irish green. Engine compartment lid grate was shiny black correct?

Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 9 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Buck,

All of the F & R Valances, L & R Rockers & Engine Lid Grill were a semi-flat or satin finish - & the 4 lower panels had a pebbly texture from undercoating, which most folks recreate with Wurth or other body shutz/undercoating (also used under the paint on the belly panels & wheel wells, etc. "down-under" BTW).

There are several threads on how folks recreated this for correct OE & CW finish over in the Originality & History Forum.

I don't know how well PC will hold up on those lower panels vs. paint over undercoating with all of the rocks & road crud hitting them, since PC can be more brittle than some paints made for that application - plus it's easier to touch-up paint with a rattle can or brush, than to re-PC them.

If you're trying for a concours car & will do PCA Parade, AACA, etc. shows where originality matters, then you don't want to PC, but do the proper undercoated then painted satin/semi-flat black paint finish as close to OE as possible today.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 9 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 9 2015, 01:25 PM) *

All of the F & R Valances, L & R Rockers & Engine Lid Grill were a semi-flat or satin finish - & the 4 lower panels had a pebbly texture from undercoating, which most folks recreate with Wurth or other body shutz/undercoating (also used under the paint on the belly panels & wheel wells, etc. "down-under" BTW).

Working on the same thing.

When you say - the 4 lower panels - which do you mean? Never mind. I see what you mean. I always think of the rocker covers as smooth. But I guess they were textured.

Also, does anybody know the color under the engine grill? I know it wasn't body color. It is some type of black or off black.

And the engine tin - what color did it come from the factory? Satin black?
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jan 9 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

under the engine grill was semi gloss black.
If you're getting the valance powder painted, tell them you want it 50/50 black.
The best thing to use for texture is Sem Chip Guard, in aerosol can.
It's a clear rubberized texture. . If you use Rocker Schutz, which is tan,
when you get a rock chip the tan shows through. .
+Quote Post
913B
post Jan 9 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,983

subscribed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Jan 9 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am doing my 4 valance pieces right now for a '70 914-6 and I have decided to leave off the undercoating because I believe the early valances were smooth finish I think sometime in '71 they went to undercoating finish first then satin black paint over top because of the complaints of easy chipping. My 2 side rocker covers were smooth and I borrowed an original rear porthole 6 valance and it was also smooth finish. Anyone else know if the first year valances were smooth?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 9 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I believe my rocker covers were slightly, lightly undercoated and then finished in satin black. I like the idea of doing the rubberized texture in the clear and then spraying them satin black. I plan to do the same for the front and rear valances just to give them some protection from rock chips.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 9 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I have a '75 and had a '76 before that. Neither one had any texture on the rockers or valences. I can find no evidence that my '75 lower panels were ever resprayed other than what I have done, so I am not sure that the above advice applies to all years.
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Jan 20 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,534

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 9 2015, 07:06 PM) *

I am doing my 4 valance pieces right now for a '70 914-6 and I have decided to leave off the undercoating because I believe the early valances were smooth finish I think sometime in '71 they went to undercoating finish first then satin black paint over top because of the complaints of easy chipping. My 2 side rocker covers were smooth and I borrowed an original rear porthole 6 valance and it was also smooth finish. Anyone else know if the first year valances were smooth?

I have a porthole for a 6 that I am pretty sure is original paint.
No sign of texture....don't know if it was from a first year edition.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jan 20 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This may not be correct but I painted my Valances with a rattle can of Rust-Oleum "Trim & Bumper Paint" which is a Paint Code 251574 MATTE BLACK. It goes on easy and seems to be a good match.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Jan 20 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(struckn @ Jan 20 2015, 07:54 PM) *

This may not be correct but I painted my Valances with a rattle can of Rust-Oleum "Trim & Bumper Paint" which is a Paint Code 251574 MATTE BLACK. It goes on easy and seems to be a good match.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Drove my 1970 914-6 off the showroom floor (actually out of the back storage garage of the dealership where unsold year old cars were kept) and it had smooth satin black rockers and valances. No texture finish.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 20 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Well heck....maybe I will just have my rockers, valances, engine lid screen and my oil cooler screen all powder coated semi-gloss black then.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 21 2015, 06:55 AM
Post #13

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you only want to make them look decent, while on the car, without stripping old paint, etc... Dupicolor undercoating in a rattle can does a reasonable job of taking care of paint and texture. And you can re-shoot or touch up whenever you need to. Worked perfectly fine on the daily driver 914.

That said, my /6 is going to get properly pianted valances in semi gloss black with no texture which I believe is the way they came.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:15 PM