Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> distributor-less ignition, where to go
02loftsmoor
post Jan 10 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm check on going with distributor-less ignition system, some pointers please
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 48)
Mark Henry
post Jan 18 2015, 11:37 AM
Post #41

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(WLD419 @ Jan 17 2015, 08:02 PM) *

There is this , use your distributor in locked mode (no centrifugal weights) , program on the fly with a laptop & serial cable plugged in I believe,
kinda like my vintage CB Quicktune EFI system (soon to be upgraded to MS2xtra sequential (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ),

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=2013

BTDT
This method is problematic do to phasing, basicly the cap and rotor contacts are not long enough for the advance curve.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jan 18 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #42

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm a few days late and several dollars short to chime in here, and I'm so green its ... Well, I'm green and learning. But I have MS with Ford EDIS and twin plug on a 3.2. Of course this is for a six and the original question seems be about a Type IV and I'm not even sure if Ford had /4's with EDIS on their cars. But they are pretty damned adaptable, apparently. Now I'm slowly learning how to tune this beast Joe built for me, at least the principles. I may have overkill for street use, but I'm gonna have fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 18 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #43

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 18 2015, 07:24 PM) *

I'm a few days late and several dollars short to chime in here, and I'm so green its ... Well, I'm green and learning. But I have MS with Ford EDIS and twin plug on a 3.2. Of course this is for a six and the original question seems be about a Type IV and I'm not even sure if Ford had /4's with EDIS on their cars. But they are pretty damned adaptable, apparently. Now I'm slowly learning how to tune this beast Joe built for me, at least the principles. I may have overkill for street use, but I'm gonna have fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pretty sure they did, the megajolt jr uses ford EDIS bits. You can buy the bits as unofficial "kits" on evilbay or gather it up at the local scrapyard. I checked into megajolt jr but for a few bucks more you can get a MS and have future FI. MS supports a bunch of different ignition options.

I seriously was thinking of using megajolt or MS for my twin plug then I pick this up for a song.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-26-1392093080.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
jarred
post Jan 19 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 10,159
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ford also did EDIS control for 4's and 8's. Nearly all their cars had it in the 80's and 90's. I'm running EDIS 6 and Megasquirt on my TVR. It's a good setup and Ford takes care of interfacing/conditioning the VR sensor for you. MS reads the PIP and sends out the SAW so it's a two wire setup to the MS, but several more for the EDIS controller.
+Quote Post
jarred
post Jan 19 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 10,159
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Very true. Not sure how that works.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 18 2015, 09:37 AM) *

There is this , use your distributor in locked mode (no centrifugal weights) , program on the fly with a laptop & serial cable plugged in I believe,
kinda like my vintage CB Quicktune EFI system (soon to be upgraded to MS2xtra sequential (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ),

BTDT
This method is problematic do to phasing, basicly the cap and rotor contacts are not long enough for the advance curve.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 19 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #46

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jarred @ Jan 19 2015, 08:36 AM) *

Ford also did EDIS control for 4's and 8's. Nearly all their cars had it in the 80's and 90's. I'm running EDIS 6 and Megasquirt on my TVR. It's a good setup and Ford takes care of interfacing/conditioning the VR sensor for you. MS reads the PIP and sends out the SAW so it's a two wire setup to the MS, but several more for the EDIS controller.

Ditto for a Ford ztec four in a Lotus Seven replica. Simple, easy, super cheap, parts all over the place and dead on reliable.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 19 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #47

that's what I do!

QUOTE(jarred @ Jan 19 2015, 12:09 PM) *

Very true. Not sure how that works.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 18 2015, 09:37 AM) *

BTDT

If you can figure out phasing issue you can just buy a MSD 6al-2 programmable for just over $300 I don't know if you could just fire this with a crank trigger but that might solve the phasing issue.
I never looked further into this as this is when I got the dizzy above which uses a MSD internals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDy-sBZDM4
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 19 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 15 2015, 04:10 AM) *

I don't know why you would bother doing this unless you are going FI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Spend the money in the engine not on it. Only exception to this is headers which is the cheapest HP gain you can add to the engine.
This mod adds zero HP.

Twin plugs are not a cosmetic item..pretty sure the plugs go into the motor somewhat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 19 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #49

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 19 2015, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 15 2015, 04:10 AM) *

I don't know why you would bother doing this unless you are going FI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Spend the money in the engine not on it. Only exception to this is headers which is the cheapest HP gain you can add to the engine.
This mod adds zero HP.

Twin plugs are not a cosmetic item..pretty sure the plugs go into the motor somewhat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I was talking type 4 in general on this post and I don't really think twin plug was part of the conversation at this point.
My opinion still stands as having a stand alone programmable ignition for a T4 single plug NA application has little, if any, benefit.
My opinion, based on actual experience (as I have and have used both types), is time, money and effort could be better spent on the mechanics of the engine.

Twin plug, turbo, etc., is a different situation as turbo needs retard and there's not many economical twin plug solutions.
That said why would you have a stand alone ignition for a turbo? It would be part of the FI.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:06 AM