Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Front Turnsignal And Rear Brake/Taillight/Turnsignals
warrenoliver
post May 26 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just got my fronts today. Went out to the garage and had them in within 10 minutes. Great product. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Looking forward to ordering the rears once they are back in stock.

Thanks Jerry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post May 27 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 12,732

My fronts for both cars are being made now... should have gotten rears for both but by the time I got one set and put them on the '71 they were out of them.
Not cheap, but worth it. Will look forward to a new run of the rears in the future.
Now the LED headlights (another thread...) are on their way. I guess the car is slowly becoming a little more "modern."
+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post May 27 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 4,578
Region Association: None

Well Spoke, might as well count me in for a full set of your amazing LED lights. Just pm me when you're doing it and i'll buy them...look totally awesome. Good work!
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 2 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #124

Installed the front LED's on both cars today. The silver car has the clear Italian front lenses with the amber full lights and they look fantastic. The red car has the Euro front lenses with clear bottom and red top. Not sure how Jerry does it but it works both the top and bottom with one plug in rather than the extra bulb and wire with my previous "kit." This is SO much better and works great.

I didn't get my act together quick enough to get the rear lights for the '73 so will be anxiously awaiting Jerry's next run...

Best addition i've found here! Thanks Jerry (spoke)...
+Quote Post
morgan_harwell
post Nov 3 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #125

Ha! Finally snuck up on a camera!

Member No.: 203
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 23 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Looks good Cary. Are you using the stock 914 flasher or EP36 or other?
A couple of notes:
. . .

2) The early stock 914 flasher (with L & R dash indicators) seems to work fine if the dash indicators are rewired so the common wire normally from the K lug on the flasher are connected to ground. This little bit of resistive load seems to cause the flasher to flash normally with LEDs front and rear. My 914 is wired this way and the flasher will flash normally even with both front and rear lights removed. Another 914World member with LEDs front and rear got his early flasher to work only after rewiring the dash indicators.

3) I'm adding a 1k ohm resistor across the turnsignal wires on the front and rear boards to add at least a little bit of resistive signature to help flashers see the LED loads. Not sure how much this helps but it's easy to do.

. . .

Howdy,

Is a symptom of the above problem => all four LED Turn Signal boards flashing together when the steering column turn signal stalk is set to Left turn or Right turn?

edit 8/18/2016:
I re-wired the L & R dash indicators in the tachometer per 2) above, and all four LED Turn Signal boards (front & rear, left & right) stopped flashing together. Now they operate as expected.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 4 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #126

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Nov 3 2015, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 23 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Looks good Cary. Are you using the stock 914 flasher or EP36 or other?
A couple of notes:
. . .

2) The early stock 914 flasher (with L & R dash indicators) seems to work fine if the dash indicators are rewired so the common wire normally from the K lug on the flasher are connected to ground. This little bit of resistive load seems to cause the flasher to flash normally with LEDs front and rear. My 914 is wired this way and the flasher will flash normally even with both front and rear lights removed. Another 914World member with LEDs front and rear got his early flasher to work only after rewiring the dash indicators.

3) I'm adding a 1k ohm resistor across the turnsignal wires on the front and rear boards to add at least a little bit of resistive signature to help flashers see the LED loads. Not sure how much this helps but it's easy to do.

. . .

Howdy,

Is a symptom of the above problem => all four LED Turn Signal boards flashing together when the steering column turn signal stalk is set to Left turn or Right turn?

All 4 shouldn't operate with the left or right turn signal on. The light loads that these LED boards present to the wiring has a way of illuminating deficiencies in the wiring. Anything is possible with these old cars.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 5 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Jerry;
Have you thought about getting these certified for road use? Saw a post on another forum from a guy in the industry saying that a test for certification could be as low as $500. Is there enough volume to justify that?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 5 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #128

Jerry

QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 5 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Jerry;
Have you thought about getting these certified for road use? Saw a post on another forum from a guy in the industry saying that a test for certification could be as low as $500. Is there enough volume to justify that?

I haven't considered getting these certified mainly because of the low volumes. Also there are many variants which I imagine would need individual certification:

914 brakes;
914 rear red turnsignals;
914 rear amber turnsignals;
914 front Euro White/amber;
914 front USA all amber;
911 brakes;
911 3rd brake;
911 rear red turnsignals;
911 rear amber turnsignals;
911 front Euro white/amber;
911 front US all amber
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 5 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #129

Jerry

We're gearing up to do another run of front and rear LEDs. Should have PCBs in hand within a month.

Making some small changes to the boards before going to fab. Every board will now have a footprint for a ballast resistor. This will help dampen the effect of any leakages or other circuits on the light wires.

We're just clearing up an interaction issue with 911 brake lights where the cruise control brake light sensor dumps about 8ma into the brake lights. With no ballast resistor, the CC sensor pulls up on the brake light wire until the LEDs turn on a little bit and the CC refuses to stay engaged. We're adding ballast resistors to all boards now.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 5 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

What is your configuration for Euro tail lights side marker?
In Europe, my understanding is that they don't use the side marker bulb.
Here, with the small bulb on the side the amber part of the lens gets lit which makes a combination of read and amber taillight. I have been looking for a red small bulb to put on the side so that the amber part would become red.
I found some red covers at Autozone and it worked for a while until they crumbled from the heat.
The result was red everywhere then when the blinker would kick in, it would flash amber.
Did you ever try something like this using LEDs?
+Quote Post
whatabout1
post Nov 5 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #131

Toys in Red

Member No.: 5,676

I would be in for a pair rears. Have your front Euro's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

PM'd you a month or 2 ago.

Still in !
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Nov 5 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #132

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329

I am in for a pair of rears US spec. When I purchased the front from you, you mentioned that the rears can have a dim light in the brake light area.....if still possible put me in for that. Thanks Jerry and my fronts look great.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Nov 5 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #133

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Very pleased with the rear lights. I'm in for a pair of U.S. front LEDs.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 6 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 17,743

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 5 2015, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 5 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Jerry;

I haven't considered getting these certified mainly because of the low volumes. Also there are many variants which I imagine would need individual certification:

914 brakes;
914 rear red turnsignals;
914 rear amber turnsignals;
914 front Euro White/amber;
914 front USA all amber;
911 brakes;
911 3rd brake;
911 rear red turnsignals;
911 rear amber turnsignals;
911 front Euro white/amber;
911 front US all amber

Well, I'll just throw this out here... No affiliation to me, just ran across it while looking into the legal aspects of aftermarket lights. From some other thread it looked like you had some pretty thorough testing abilities, this shows what the official tests are looking for with maxes and mins:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpo...amp;postcount=3

This whole thread is good from a technical information standpoint- one of the linked threads is an all out flame war and OK for entertainment.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 2 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #135

Jerry

QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 6 2015, 03:51 PM) *

Well, I'll just throw this out here... No affiliation to me, just ran across it while looking into the legal aspects of aftermarket lights. From some other thread it looked like you had some pretty thorough testing abilities, this shows what the official tests are looking for with maxes and mins:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpo...amp;postcount=3

This whole thread is good from a technical information standpoint- one of the linked threads is an all out flame war and OK for entertainment.

That is a good thread. Lots of good information. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 2 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #136

Jerry

Sent the rear PCB design to the fab this week. Will have rear PCBs in about 2 weeks. We'll start with the rear lights then add the front turnsignal bucket lights in the next months. I'll start a new thread when the rear lights are available.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 2 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #137

Need rear brake and red turn lights for a '73 from your new run...

thx Spoke...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 2 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #138

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 5 2015, 09:03 AM) *
We're gearing up to do another run of front and rear LEDs. Should have PCBs in hand within a month.

Making some small changes to the boards before going to fab. Every board will now have a footprint for a ballast resistor. This will help dampen the effect of any leakages or other circuits on the light wires.

We're just clearing up an interaction issue with 911 brake lights where the cruise control brake light sensor dumps about 8ma into the brake lights. With no ballast resistor, the CC sensor pulls up on the brake light wire until the LEDs turn on a little bit and the CC refuses to stay engaged. We're adding ballast resistors to all boards now.
Jerry, are the 'old' ckt boards capable of this mod (adding ballast resistors)?

If so, can you post a pic of where to add the resistor(s), and the value needed?

Paying 'OHMage' to you for bringing these to the marketplace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 2 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Put me down for

1 pair euro fronts with blanking

1 pair euro rear turn amber

1 pair red brake light
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Dec 3 2015, 06:22 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 19,045

wow...

please put me down for a pair of front US and a pair of Brakes US.

also do you make a backup light kit?

do you have a timeline for delivery?
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:36 AM