Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Front Turnsignal And Rear Brake/Taillight/Turnsignals
JoeD
post Dec 3 2015, 06:59 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,973
Region Association: South East States

I'm in for a full set front and back...

1 pair euro fronts with blanking

1 pair euro rear turn amber

1 pair red brake light

Thanks!

Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #142

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 3 2015, 12:23 AM) *

Jerry, are the 'old' ckt boards capable of this mod (adding ballast resistors)?

If so, can you post a pic of where to add the resistor(s), and the value needed?

Paying 'OHMage' to you for bringing these to the marketplace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

We had been adding 1k ohm ballast resistors to all front and rear turnsignal boards. These are not the 6 ohm power ballast resistors which can be purchased from lighting sites.

The 1k ohm resistors only help an LED-compatible flasher to break over and turn on.

After the 911 cruise control work, we're now using 301 ohm ballast resistors.

Do you have issues where a ballast resistor would help?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 3 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #143

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 09:33 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 3 2015, 12:23 AM) *
Jerry, are the 'old' ckt boards capable of this mod (adding ballast resistors)?

If so, can you post a pic of where to add the resistor(s), and the value needed?

Paying 'OHMage' to you for bringing these to the marketplace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

We had been adding 1k ohm ballast resistors to all front and rear turnsignal boards. These are not the 6 ohm power ballast resistors which can be purchased from lighting sites.

The 1k ohm resistors only help an LED-compatible flasher to break over and turn on.

After the 911 cruise control work, we're now using 301 ohm ballast resistors.

Do you have issues where a ballast resistor would help?
Don't know - I haven't installed them yet ... many other tasks to perform (on my wife's '71) before I get to these. I'll see if I can find some [spare] time to try them out, and report back.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 3 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #144

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I installed the euro ones front and rear. The fronts have the blanking circuits. They work great and the light output is night and day better. My flasher relay works fine, but the dash light stopped flashing. At this point I do not know if it's related to the led lights. I have done a lot rewiring with the new gauges. Hopefully I will have time to play with it this weekend.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 3 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Have the euro fronts on the '73 and love how they work with the top blinker and bottom running lights. SO much better than those cheap "kits" to make the euro lenses work appropriately.
Rear euro lights with brake lights also work great with much better output than stock on my '71.
Just need the US rear sets for the '73 when Spoke starts his new run. Didn't order them in time with his last run...
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #146

Jerry

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 06:58 PM) *

I installed the euro ones front and rear. The fronts have the blanking circuits. They work great and the light output is night and day better. My flasher relay works fine, but the dash light stopped flashing. At this point I do not know if it's related to the led lights. I have done a lot rewiring with the new gauges. Hopefully I will have time to play with it this weekend.

You have a single L/R dash indicator, correct?

Your stock flasher still flashes with LED turnsignals because the flasher does a dual purpose: Flash the turnsignals and flash the brake indicator.

See the diagram below for 74+ 914's with the single turnsignal dash indicator. Notice the coil and relay contacts next to the 49A and C pins on the flasher. This secondary relay allows the brake indicator to flash the small, low current bulb in the dash without flashing the L/R indicator.

When the very heavy load turnsignal bulbs are connected when either the turnsignal stalk is active or the 4-way flasher pulled, this secondary relay will close and flash the L/R indicator. With LED turnsignals which are a very light load are active, there is not enough current to pull in the secondary relay and the L/R indicator does not flash.

Question: does the L/R indicator flash when the 4-way flasher.

There's not a plug-in replacement for this flasher with the secondary relay. Thank Porsche for that little feature. There is an EP26 flasher available with 4 pins like the original. Unfortunately the K/C/C2 pin on EP26 is not connected to anything. I did modify an EP26 to power the K/C/C2 pin for one guy.

Personally I'm not a fan of the single L/R indicator. I think it's stupid. On my '74 914, I purchased an early tach, removed the guts and installed the guts from my '74. This way I had dedicated L and R indicators.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Dec 3 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #147

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm having the same problem,, turn signals work fine dash light doesn't work. Late model single L/R dash indicator.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #148

Jerry

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 3 2015, 08:54 PM) *

I'm having the same problem,, turn signals work fine dash light doesn't work. Late model single L/R dash indicator.

There are 2 solutions to this:

1) Buy an early tach and use it with separate L and R indicators. I did this with my '74.

2) Buy an EP26 and modify it. I've hesitated offering to provide modified EP26's just because it's a pain in the ass. Had to pop the lid off, unsolder the relay and modify the PCB and put it back together. It bums me out that folks lose their dash indicator when switching to LED turnsignals.

Would you be interested in purchasing a modified EP26 from me? Being up front, the EP26 is $15 at our FLAPS, $20 to do the mod and test, and $5 shipping (CONUS); $40 total.

One caveat to the modified EP26: When the e-brake or MC failure lights are on, the turnsignal dash indicator would also flash. EP26 does not have the secondary relay to prevent the turnsignal dash indicator from flashing with brake stuff.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 3 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #149

914 Guru

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 06:58 PM) *

You have a single L/R dash indicator, correct?

The tach is a six tach, but I just use one bulb in it.
I'll check the flasher and bulb this weekend.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #150

Jerry

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 09:20 PM) *

So the tach has L and R bulbs but you just use one to be consistent with your flasher?

If it were me, I would put L and R indicator bulbs in, wire a contact from each bulb to ground, and the other sides of the bulbs right to the turnsignal wires at the 4-way flasher where all the exterior turnsignal wires converge. Did this on my '74 when I rewired for an early tach with separate L and R indicators.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 4 2015, 12:43 AM
Post #151

914 Guru

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 09:20 PM) *

So the tach has L and R bulbs but you just use one to be consistent with your flasher?

If it were me, I would put L and R indicator bulbs in, wire a contact from each bulb to ground, and the other sides of the bulbs right to the turnsignal wires at the 4-way flasher where all the exterior turnsignal wires converge. Did this on my '74 when I rewired for an early tach with separate L and R indicators.

That makes sense and easy to do.
Thanks!!
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Dec 4 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #152

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

Spoke - I have the same issue. I think going for the tach swap out is the way to go. So I will now go looking for a tach. How is the new group buy coming along? I previously noted that I am in for a set of US tail lights.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 4 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #153

Jerry

QUOTE(rgolia @ Dec 4 2015, 03:01 PM) *

How is the new group buy coming along? I previously noted that I am in for a set of US tail lights.

The rear PCBs are in the fab now. Expect them back in less than 2 weeks. I'll start a group buy thread in a couple of days to get things going.

We're going to start with rear PCBs then add front turnsignals just to keep the workload at a manageable level.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #154

Jerry

Rear boards are back from the fab. Look for a new GB thread in a couple of days. We should be able to start shipping after the new year.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Mar 23 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #155

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

Just got and installed front LED's .... NICE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Left from front picture shows LED and right/driver from the front shows stock bulb. Note bottom section of stock is much less bright.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
db9146
post Apr 7 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #156

Member No.: 3,315

Spoke, I have a question.

If I mask off the LEDs, can I paint the PWB beneath? On the previous version Euro front set, the green can be seen somewhat through the Euro lens (particularly the clear bottom portion) and I was wondering about a way to cover that up.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Aug 11 2016, 05:16 AM
Post #157

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) for a great product...

I installed Spoke's LED kit in the front and rear housings.
It didn't take too long and it was pretty easy to do.
I'd say best upgrade and money well spent on this.

Also thanks to 914rubber for making the seals used to finish sealing these up.

Thanks again for offering these products..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 19 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #158

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Fantastic product, just finished converting the rear brakes lights, backup lights, and turnsignsls. Each board is made to fit like a glove and the connectors are high quality: not likely to corrode.

Next: gonna do the fronts

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 14 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #159

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

The front Euro lights need to be upgraded now. Here's a pic of my set up. It's a little different; I made a custom separate white light holder for the lower portion.
The Amber part has a dual filiment bulb for running and turn signal; the White part is a single filiment bulb. The wire that connects the White bulb has a female connector on the end.
I will remove the lower bulb support/holder so to make room for the new board
Will PM too

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 14 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #160

Jerry

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 14 2019, 08:10 PM) *

The front Euro lights need to be upgraded now. Here's a pic of my set up. It's a little different; I made a custom separate white light holder for the lower portion.
The Amber part has a dual filiment bulb for running and turn signal; the White part is a single filiment bulb. The wire that connects the White bulb has a female connector on the end.
I will remove the lower bulb support/holder so to make room for the new board
Will PM too

Jim,

Just to confirm, does the bulb for the turnsignal also light up dimly for just running lights? Is the bulb socket still like OEM for a 1157 bulb?

Also does the amber part of the lens light gently for running lights with the white light on?
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:13 PM