Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 conversion exhaust question, over or under?
ringerdc
post Jan 15 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,443
Region Association: Northern California

What are the "pros and cons" of routing the exhaust pipes over or under the axles in a V8 setup? I see that most V8 conversions choose the "over" configuration using an "s" pipe. However, the "under" route is more of a straight path. In both the 4 and 6 factory setups the pipes are routed under the axle as well. Hmmmm..

Inquiring minds want to know
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jan 15 2015, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

I would suggest routing to one side where both sides combine. This will greatly reduce drone. I have run over with dual exhaust, and under where they combine on one side. Better ground clearance going over.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 15 2015, 11:35 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I can't speak from experience in having a v8 (mine is a 6 in progress) but having built many systems I would be in favor of over the axle for clearance issues. The run of pipe isn't that long and with the correct sized pipe and mandrel bends, I wouldn't think you'd lose any flow speed especially running low restriction mufflers. Now, if our exhaust runs were over 10 ft long there would be more considerations but we're short enough not to worry. Manifolds keep the start height of the pipe high enough that you shouldn't dip down too far and keep it up high for easy clearance over the axles. IMO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jan 16 2015, 05:15 AM
Post #4

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

Very simple - clearance and half-shaft maintenance along with all the reasoning mentioned in the foregoing comments.
+Quote Post
chads74
post Jan 16 2015, 06:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,252
Region Association: South East States

Clearance, exactly why I decided to run over the axle. I under you would still have the clearance needed, I think its more of a personal preference than anything.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jan 16 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

You should think about heat shields if you plan on using your trunk,it's gets extremely hot and I've heard of a fire starting in a guys trunk.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Jan 16 2015, 10:19 AM
Post #7

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My selection was due to the headers I wanted to run. It seems most of the V8s I've seen use the very short "Hugger" header. Those will give you choice to go over or under.

I was told that longer tube headers are better for power at mid-higher RPM. I was looking to "Kill" some of the low-end torque since that's a killer for the CVs and 901. This option put the collector just ahead and slightly below the CV, under was my only option.

This makes it difficult to have a crossover unless you use a can style muffler in the rear. The cross over is necessary to eliminate the "drone" mentioned earlier which can be a real annoyance.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 16 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I've always thought the over solution was the best due to ground clearance and bottoming out.

The issue typically is with the exhaust manifolds and therefore exhaust collector being really close to the shift linkage, throttle cable, and clutch cable. I've burned more than one cable..

Shorty headers and a nice custom job on the manifolds is what does it. I used to have a nice set of long tube headers I was going to cut down but never did. I think the S10 has a nice header system (Vs towards the block)that goes straight down and gives you lots of clearance to run the accessory lines.

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 16 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

It is possible to build a good breathing Y-pipe to join the two sides together, then pipe it through a single in- dual out low restriction muffler for the dual exhaust look without the drone. There's also ways to knock the droning down by kinking the pipes (small kinks, carefully measured) along the resonating spots in the piping but it takes awhile, looks REALLY goofy but it doesn't affect the flow that much. I've put together systems that have NO mufflers and don't get those audible peaks and valleys but it's laborious and once you do it wrong it can't be undone without redoing the system. Paying attention to the merge collector on a Y pipe system is the key to keeping flow rates high and increasing your power.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 16 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Here is my old setup. Over the axle.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jan 16 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 15 2015, 09:30 PM) *

I would suggest routing to one side where both sides combine. This will greatly reduce drone.

Combining both sides greatly reduces drone. Here's how I did mine.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1233890821.jpg)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 16 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #12

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

good reasonable 2-1 merge collector http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/10778/10002/-1
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 16 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2015, 03:27 PM) *

Attached Image

Very cool setup- did that kill alot of the droning sound because it looks like it could! I'd be interested to see dyno results on these various systems too- probably unrealistic but again, with the overall length of these systems I doubt if backpressure is a big issue.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jan 16 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Mike traded this system pictured on to me. I ran it like that for a while, but it was kinda restrictive with those mufflers. I stupidly upgraded to some magnaflo muffler in their place and the drone returned. Run the quiet more restrictive exhaust to avoid drone.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 16 2015, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2015, 03:27 PM) *

Attached Image

Very cool setup- did that kill alot of the droning sound because it looks like it could! I'd be interested to see dyno results on these various systems too- probably unrealistic but again, with the overall length of these systems I doubt if backpressure is a big issue.

+Quote Post
bobo914
post Jan 17 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,708

"180 degree" exhaust. The sound is correct for V8 in 914. Long tube headers help kill low end power and increase mid and upper range which helps save drivetrain. Over axle is nice for cv service and ground clearance.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 17 2015, 11:59 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(bobo914 @ Jan 17 2015, 09:56 AM) *

"180 degree" exhaust. The sound is correct for V8 in 914. Long tube headers help kill low end power and increase mid and upper range which helps save drivetrain. Over axle is nice for cv service and ground clearance.

How dare you not include a sound clip!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wow, that looks cool, will have to hunt down your build thread later on if you have one.

Didn't Chris Julian up here in Nor-Cal do the 180° exhaust also?

+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 17 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #17

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

QUOTE(bobo914 @ Jan 17 2015, 09:56 AM) *

long tube headers do NOT kill low rpm power. the design and engineering of headers and exhaust is much more than a blanket statement like that.

primary tube diameter, length, collector size and length, all are part of where the power balance will be. stating that, longer primary tubes will optimize the lower rpm torque.

the reality between long tube header and "shortys" is that the long tube will have less compromises than the short tube header will and will make better power across the board.
+Quote Post
bobo914
post Jan 17 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #18

Sorry for the blanket statement. I had "shorty" headers with S pipes over the axles on the same motor. When I went to the 180 system low end power decreased while mid and upper range increased. Probably do to my specific engine combo.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 17 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #19

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

more than likely you maximized the exhaust when you used the 180 long tubes and it just "felt" like you lost some low end when in effect you gained across the board but more so in the higher end.

or you went too big on pipe size for the engine, that would have dumped the low end.

dyno results from both set ups would have been the real tell tale.
+Quote Post
bobo914
post Jan 17 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #20

Had two goals with the exhaust change. 1 lose some low end power. 2 change sound. I increased the primary tube size for goal 1. And went 180 for goal 2.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:22 PM