Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally!, Hell-hole repair
last337
post Jan 21 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

About a year ago I was fortunate to spend a beautiful day doing laps at the track. I enjoyed it so much, but feeling the car flex in the turns really made me worry. I decided it was time to finally fix the hell-hole.

Hell-bent (no pun intended) to do this myself I immediately set to putting the car in the air, researching where/what to cut, bracing the frame, etc. Well after a few cuts I realized not only that I was over my head, but that I didnt really care for metalwork at all. So there the car sat for almost a year.

I am happy to say that it is finally almost completed at this point. I found a local guy that does really good restorations and was able to get on his list and finally it was time. I checked on it this morning and it looks great so far! Hoping to get it back this weekend and start putting the rest of it back together. I know I have a long list of things that I need from when I initially took it apart. One step closer!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 21 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK, you know this is coming.....where the heck are the pictures of the work in progress for us to gawk over????
+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 21 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Yes I knew it was coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know some of you probably would have gone much further but there was so much good steel we didnt go any further than necessary. The goal is to get a solid tub so I can at least enjoy driving it a while again. For the time being I just wanted to have something solid to build on. The driver floor pan is next and then that will follow with a spray of the entire bottom and all welded parts to encapsulate what else is there. Skim coatings and priming and then time to enjoy driving it until the next time I have money to do more. I wont have the money to get a decent paint job for a few more years so that will be next.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 22 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice - thanks for posting.
+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 22 2015, 08:15 AM
Post #5

There will be plenty more to come once I get it back in the air and can get under it again.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 22 2015, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i really need to do the same thing on mine - both sides, but driver's side is worse in the side long jack point and it too will need to have rear 1/4 floor pan as well with new seat mounts. i am hoping that like you, we can keep it minimal;. My front end is good, no rust there. I just need to get on someone's list to get it done. really dont have anyone down here in SC close . I did speak with Brad Mayeur at Octeenerfest and asked to be put on the list but he sounded like it would be a year out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . And scottyb has a big back log as well. BUT looks like your guy there has a pretty good handle on this and will get you back on the road safely soon- good luck and keep posting.
+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 22 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 22 2015, 08:32 AM) *

i really need to do the same thing on mine - both sides, but driver's side is worse in the side long jack point and it too will need to have rear 1/4 floor pan as well with new seat mounts. i am hoping that like you, we can keep it minimal;. My front end is good, no rust there. I just need to get on someone's list to get it done. really dont have anyone down here in SC close . I did speak with Brad Mayeur at Octeenerfest and asked to be put on the list but he sounded like it would be a year out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . And scottyb has a big back log as well. BUT looks like your guy there has a pretty good handle on this and will get you back on the road safely soon- good luck and keep posting.

Where in sc are you? I have family in Greenville and can ask them if they know anyone. Pm me and we can chat about it.

I was really lucky to find this guy and he has done an awesome job so far! The best part is that he is doing all of this is just one week!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 22 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Awesome to get that done so quickly.
I am down in Beaufort/Bluffton near Hilton Head.
+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 25 2015, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Well after only a week it is done! Now I have no more excuses not to finish putting it back together but I have a feeling the list will be long!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 25 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #10

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:19 AM