Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1970 Mult-meter gauge light options, top window lights
pgollender
post Jan 23 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

When I check my Haynes manual it says instrument panels panel wiring has 13 bulbs but, there are 14 places for bulbs. It appears that the top upper right window is reserved for "optional temperature" gauge, or maybe an additional "idiot" light. My wiring harness has an additional green with black wire that is non-terminated, but also available along with two terminal ends for power ( red with white stripes). I have an extra available bulb.Does any one install it in the right window or do you leave it unconnected ? Additionally in George's TechTips 700, image 700, right side on page 97 it shows the stock face plate with the oil light on the right side and the generator light on the left side with black center button. Mine has silver center button with same configuration as right image, (not left image) but my oil lamp is on the left side and generator light on the right side.
Back side:Attached Image
Flashlight thru brake portal window:Attached Image
Flashlight thru "optional temperature "gauge" window:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 23 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

There should be a transparent red cover over that brake light--the whole upper section. Only one of those two sockets gets a light, leave the other one empty. Either that, or splice new wires into the brake warning light circuit so you can put two bulbs in--but I think that would be too bright.

The green/black wire is for the oil temp gauge sender. The red/white wire is power for the oil temp gauge. You don't have the temp gauge, so those should be taped out of the way. (And don't let the red/white touch ground.)

The silver center is correct for 70-73 cars. Looks like your gauge is the right type for a 70-71 car.

My advice: Ignore the extra place for a bulb. Put the thing together and move on to the next thing.

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 23 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yes. At night that guage is almost impossible to see. Look up Toms thread on instrument lighting. It's the only way to have that guage light up. IMHO
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 04:11 AM