Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vintage Heat Exchangers, Worth saving..?
Nozzle
post Jan 25 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,725
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

McMark is in the process of building my stock 2.0 engine into one of his 2056 offerings so in the mean time I'm going through the engine ancillaries. One question involves what looks to be the stock factory delivered 2.0 heat exchangers that I pulled off the engine. To my untrained eye they look somewhat sound for 40 year old exhaust components with 180K+ miles on them but on closer inspection I'm not so sure anymore. Question is do I get the HEs media blasted, weld as needed and hope for the best or bite the bullet and budget for a set of good used stainless units?

So here are some pics:

First the overview

Attached Image

Previous heating duct repairs welding thrashed flanges together making valve adjustments just a bit harder to do

Attached Image

Confusing mix of PO black spray paint, factory grey coatings and corrosion that is typical of the rest of the outer heating ducts

Attached Image

And finally the pitting at the muffler flange and header area

Attached Image

So far I haven't seen any indication of any holes or cracks in any of the visible header pipes or the outer ducting. Any thoughts on the best route to go would be much appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 25 2015, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

1. it does look like they have been worked on once before.

2. I agree with you, they don't look too bad. Actually look better than the 75 HEs I posted about a few weeks ago.

3. The early type like you have are the most desirable. Someone that is doing a piece-meal resto might like them for free to get them on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

4. I am not sure if there is a year to worry about, but The Cap'n noted that the 2.0 exhaust for some year??? has a thinner wall pipe for the exhaust, so that could be an issue with these, now or in the future. You don't want cracks in the exhaust pushing exhaust thru the heat system.

5. it is all under the car, unless you are building a concourse car, I would test them and use them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 09:54 AM