Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 LE abandoned, how sad., Been sitting outside for 1-year++
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 27 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #21

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

PCNA has the info...they have the power...they won't release a list of exact VINs or an exact quantity made. A kind soul there did however confirm for me the first and last LE VIN in their records...which I have indicated on the LE Registry. That person has moved on.

Two other semi-official documents are known to indicate 914 LE quantities...the initial marketing release which indicates 1000 would be built, and a later letter that suggests approximately 800 LEs were actually built. Its plausible that fewer than 1000 were built because the car was not a big seller, in spite of its value pricing and limited production.

At this point its really a guess until PCNA releases a complete VIN list.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 27 2015, 06:15 PM) *

PCNA has the info...they have the power...they won't release a list of exact VINs or an exact quantity made. A kind soul there did however confirm for me the first and last LE VIN in their records...which I have indicated on the LE Registry. That person has moved on.

Two other semi-official documents are known to indicate 914 LE quantities...the initial marketing release which indicates 1000 would be built, and a later letter that suggests approximately 800 LEs were actually built. Its plausible that fewer than 1000 were built because the car was not a big seller, in spite of its value pricing and limited production.

Well, that letter states that about 800 went to the US but we also know of a few European ones that were not meant for the US market.

Meaning, the total number could still be greater than 800 and maybe even close to the 1000 mark.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 27 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #23

914 Wiring Harnesses

Good point Andy. I own the last known numbered Jubillaumsmodell medallion (Euro 914LE) that I have seen, #68, there may be more but I have found no records. I also have records of 20 914SLs that went to Japan. Mr. Hussey owns one of them. So we can add at least 88 to that ~800 number, perhaps more so maybe ~888.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 27 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #24

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 27 2015, 06:15 PM) *

PCNA has the info...they have the power...they won't release a list of exact VINs or an exact quantity made.

Interesting. I wonder the motivations for keeping this type of benign information secret.

I am an IT guy for a publishing company. If you were to ask me how many copies of a particular book we ever sold (in the last 7 years or so), I could have the answer in as long as it would take for me to write and execute the SQL. Anything past 7 years, sorry... we don't need or want to keep records that far back. I would think that automobile manufacturers (especially German) would have a much higher standard for data retention given liability laws, so it would stand to reason that they may have digitized the records in question.

I wonder if the question has never been asked to the right person. If you were to call our receptionist, she would have no way to tell you how many books we sold, and there is a pretty good chance that she would have no idea who to forward the call to. If she forwarded it to me, I would want to know who is asking and why they want to know (publishing is very competitive).

Just thinking that a different approach to PCNA to get the answers might pay dividends, say a Panorama editor or somebody like that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 27 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I'm pretty sure that the records are not in any database. At least, they were not that recently in one. I believe that the information on the CoA was hand-copied from the cards in the "Kardex" as of ~10 years ago. It might have been entered since then, but I'm not sure why they would have taken the time to do that.

Perhaps they are entering the info as they get requests for it? That would make a fair amount of sense....

(Sorry, I just went through a whole bunch of spreadsheet-entry from paper records for the animal shelter I volunteer for. It's not easy, and it's not fast.)

--DD
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 27 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #26

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 27 2015, 08:02 PM) *

I'm pretty sure that the records are not in any database. At least, they were not that recently in one. I believe that the information on the CoA was hand-copied from the cards in the "Kardex" as of ~10 years ago. It might have been entered since then, but I'm not sure why they would have taken the time to do that.

Perhaps they are entering the info as they get requests for it? That would make a fair amount of sense....

(Sorry, I just went through a whole bunch of spreadsheet-entry from paper records for the animal shelter I volunteer for. It's not easy, and it's not fast.)

--DD

I was just going by the fact that they were able to tell Jeff the first and last LE VIN numbers, thus establishing the official "range" that we have all adopted. If the records were not digitized, I do not know how those numbers could have been established, other than by ruining a couple of weeks for some file-clerk.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 28 2015, 12:59 AM
Post #27

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 27 2015, 08:39 PM) *
I was just going by the fact that they were able to tell Jeff the first and last LE VIN numbers, thus establishing the official "range" that we have all adopted. If the records were not digitized, I do not know how those numbers could have been established, other than by ruining a couple of weeks for some file-clerk.

The data isn't digitized ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 28 2015, 03:38 AM
Post #28

914 Wiring Harnesses

I made friends with a former COA person at PCNA, she was congenial and helpful. She just looked in her records. There are ~2500 VINS in the LE VIN range, they are not going to take the time to carefully examine each record to see which ones are LEs. Not gonna happen anytime soon. They really don't care much about our old cars.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 28 2015, 05:43 AM
Post #29

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

How about a Back Door approach - get Pete Stout (Editor of Pana and one of us) to do an article on LEs. As part of his research he asks PCNA for the info and wala, the info doesn't make into the article but is passed along to you.

Lots of PCA Officers have had one or still have a 914
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 5 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #30

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

It's still there collecting snow from our recent 16" drop a few days ago. The shop is still locked up with lots of car tracks circling around the bldg. looking for life or maybe their ride inside the locked shop??? I've tried to contact the shop people I know with no luck. I did tuck a note up under the cover on the windshield for the owner to contact me. Buy or Help!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) Please call. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I'll keep checking & hope to find this LE a new home, got to save it from a cruel rust free life ??

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Feb 5 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 6,103

I hope it doesn't come to this....................
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PBC914
post Feb 5 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 12,545

Obtain the plate number and sign up on the web for a license plate search. For $35 you will obtain all the info you need on the owner. Good luck!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 7 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #33

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Its in storage.
There is snow but not road salt.
Someone took the time to buy and put a cover on it.
Please approach this with caution. We don't need another "number 4."

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 8 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #34

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Dont tell B-rad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 23 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #35

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It's gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I went by the boarded up shop today and the 914-LE's keys were on the ground where it was parked:WTF: and the 914-LE is gone.
I picked up the key and now have the 914-LE car keys in my position (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I'll check the local police dept. tomorrow & see if they have a record of anyone towing it away.
Could it be stolen or in a chop shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Mystery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 23 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #36

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

Man, that sucks. :/
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 23 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #37

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

Chopping up an LE for parts would either be a sign of ignorance or rust, since it's maximum value comes from being an entire LE unit. Really glad mine is covered in the garage & runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 23 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I'd bet the key was left on top of a tire so that someone could retrieve the car after hours....... a long time ago.
The fact that the key was not used when the car was taken away....... does not bode well for the car
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Mar 23 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Prolly only had a bad CHT or something.......?
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Mar 23 2015, 11:21 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 12,218

“This 914 LE real one was in a (fresh water) flood last spring and at this shop for repairs.”

“It's been sitting outside for the last 6-months”

It has flood damage, and the owner has let it sit at the garage for 6 months, probably racking up storage fees, this sounds like a car that needs an awful lot of expensive work.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:06 AM