Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You can't turbocharge a 914, but if you could?
McMark
post Feb 22 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #81

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Mine is built on a 100% stock 1.7. The idea was to make the engine 'disposable'. Also, the idea was to keep the boost low and be happy with a little extra.

I'm happy to make the setup. It's more a factor of the cost. Fuel injection with coil-on-plug ignition is about $3000 complete, turbo and plumbing is around $2000. Each unit has to be hand made and setup. I don't have any jigs or other fancy tools to help speed up the process. If I thought I might sell 10+ of these it might be worth it, but for the number of people I think might actually buy-in it's easier to just hand make them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 22 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #82

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Mine is built on a 100% stock 1.7. The idea was to make the engine 'disposable'. Also, the idea was to keep the boost low and be happy with a little extra.

I'm happy to make the setup. It's more a factor of the cost. Fuel injection with coil-on-plug ignition is about $3000 complete, turbo and plumbing is around $2000. Each unit has to be hand made and setup. I don't have any jigs or other fancy tools to help speed up the process. If I thought I might sell 10+ of these it might be worth it, but for the number of people I think might actually buy-in it's easier to just hand make them.

What is nice with the turbo setup is that I see no reason someone couldn't do it in stages to help with the cost...do and sort all the fuel injection/ignition 1st, drive car around for 6 months or a year then buy the turbo hard parts and install.

+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 22 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #83

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BSACafe @ Feb 22 2016, 10:18 AM) *
McMark...how many people would need to be signed up for a 'group buy' for you to put together a kit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm sure there would be interest out there, especially with the sheer number of 1.7 owners. Mine is a '73 and very much like the option of a bolt on kit, rather than other swaps that require a more permanent modification.

... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 22 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #84

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 22 2016, 07:22 PM) *

What is nice with the turbo setup is that I see no reason someone couldn't do it in stages to help with the cost...do and sort all the fuel injection/ignition 1st, drive car around for 6 months or a year then buy the turbo hard parts and install.

Ok,
Please post the shopping list for the EFI first.
Currently the junkyards are closed due to snow, but will open up soon enough.

Rich
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 23 2016, 08:03 AM
Post #85

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 22 2016, 04:22 PM) *

You're not wrong, I just am not set up to handle any (albeit small) volume of retail sales. Selling a $10 part takes me away from billing shop time. Now if I can grow the business a little... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I could then sell packages and individual pieces.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 12:55 PM