Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> persistent window gap 1970, window doesn't seat into the rubber
pgollender
post Feb 7 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

After installing my windows and re-conditioning the 1970 roll-up mechanism last year and adding some new 914 rubber all the way around, I have two persistent gaps where the window does not seat into the top rubber. The body is straight, does not sag and the door gaps and door height are all aligned and uniform so it is not the body. How do I adjust these gaps? Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mskala
post Feb 7 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #2

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 7 2015, 11:11 AM) *

After installing my windows and re-conditioning the 1970 roll-up mechanism last year and adding some new 914 rubber all the way around, I have two persistent gaps where the window does not seat into the top rubber. The body is straight, does not sag and the door gaps and door height are all aligned and uniform so it is not the body. How do I adjust these gaps?

I have something similar although I haven't put in the time to figure it out.
914rubber windshield and side top seal. I suspect the design of the side pieces
changed in later years and maybe there is a fitment issue if you don't have a
targa top of the same vintage? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 7 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Search window adjustment. Several threads on this already. On my phone or I would do it for you. Most cars have adjusting screws at the bottom of the door.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 7 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have the exact same gaps.
Zach
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 7 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Looks like the side seal is the wrong profile (too tall) and preventing the window from going all the way up.
+Quote Post
57lincolnman
post Feb 7 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 7 2015, 08:11 AM) *

After installing my windows and re-conditioning the 1970 roll-up mechanism last year and adding some new 914 rubber all the way around, I have two persistent gaps where the window does not seat into the top rubber. The body is straight, does not sag and the door gaps and door height are all aligned and uniform so it is not the body. How do I adjust these gaps? Attached Image Attached Image

I had a similar problem at the windshield (front edge of the side window. That gap is particularly troublesome because water drips right there and onto your knee when it rains. I solved the problem by taking some black window insulation that I bought at Lowe's. It has a flat side with adhesive tape. To keep the profile I threaded a coat hangar into the open slot and bent it to the inside windshield frame. The vent window closes into this space. The insulation is soft enough to give when the door is closed and fill the gap. If this is helpful to you, let me know and I'll send a picture.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Feb 8 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,573

Attached Image
This is how the original looks. The outer lip of the side Targa lip is shorter than the inner one, it's even a bit shorter than the windshield to Targa side lip.
Could it be that you mixed left and right seals ?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Feb 8 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #8

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

It looks like your window is not adjusted to it's maximum height. But it also looks like your triangle-window isn't either. I don't think there should be that large of a gap between your triangle-window and the main targa seal. Your window should also be able to roll all the way up to the top of the triangle-window seal, so the top of the window is the same height as the black triangle window seal on the door. Yours is not.
I used the same 914rubber main targa seal and side seals on my old 72 (same regulator style as yours), and they sealed the car up perfectly.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 8 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #9

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...-alignment.html

http://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/74581...or-windows.html

And last but not least. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 8 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

You can adjust the window all you want, but that's not going to fix the difference in height between the frame seal and the roof seal, there's just too much difference in the seals.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 9 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The seal I make is slightly taller, it is like the superseded seal. The outer lip is designed to sweep over the outer scraper, and provide an additional barrier. This is one of the improvements the factory made to help keep water out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 9 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The problem looks like the window isn't quite as "tall" as it could be. This is an adjustment issue. It should look like this. This is shown with the main targa seal not in place

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 9 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

OK, so the glass is supposed to fit between the flap and the main profile. Got it.

So judging by the pictures, he needs to take off the door panel, and adjust the window stop so the glass goes higher. There's an M6 cap screw (10mm hex) with a jam nut that stops the window when it's rolled up all the way, so he'll need to screw that in to get it set to the correct height. He may also have to adjust the tilt which is at the bottom of the door, with a 13mm hex jam nut on a slotted stud.

Then he may have to move the seal channel on the roof outboard a little so the glass fits in the groove properly.
+Quote Post
pgollender
post Feb 9 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,281

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Feb 8 2015, 05:09 PM) *

It looks like your window is not adjusted to it's maximum height. But it also looks like your triangle-window isn't either. I don't think there should be that large of a gap between your triangle-window and the main targa seal. Your window should also be able to roll all the way up to the top of the triangle-window seal, so the top of the window is the same height as the black triangle window seal on the door. Yours is not.
I used the same 914rubber main targa seal and side seals on my old 72 (same regulator style as yours), and they sealed the car up perfectly.

Do you have a picture of your seals/window interface ?
Here are some additional measurements as it sits mal-adjusted:
From the door vertically it is 14-3/8" inches in the front Attached Image
Here it is when I push it up: look closely you can see it by the exposed washer marks:
And 14-3/16" in the backAttached Image looks like I need 1/4 to 5/16" taller to fit into the top groove in Mikey's redesigned rubber.
What are the top up measurements of other members cars ?
Furthermore the window is absolutely tight against the new triangle window seal which allows for no further travel upwards.
Attached Image
I did notice that the front window frame has a small plate that can be adjusted up or down about 1/4"effectively raising the front of the window by 1/4".
Attached Image Attached Image
I'm not sure if this will solve the sag in the rear end. I did notice that the clamp that holds the bottom of the window could probably be shimmed fairly easily by adding some butyl or maybe 3M tape.
I'll try this weekend and post the results . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:43 AM