Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Variations of the VW Cabin / Dome Light
tweet
post Feb 10 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

Okay, so I've been collecting interior lights for the past year and have been thinking of doing this for a while. So some of you may be irked by my next statement, but it is factual. There is truly no such thing as a Porsche 914 interior light. All of these lights carry a VW part designation and the VW light was already in mass production before the first 914 was ever built. But, I see the topic come up from time to time as to which light is for a 914? All of these lights can be used in a 914 application, some with a minor mod electrically speaking, others are plug 'n play.

The light which is branded "Hella", "VW", "Made in Germany" with a white square button and chrome edge is the one typically found on 914's imported to the US market. The Sidler light was also made in Germany and Saturnus was made in Yugoslavia. Hella later acquired Saturnus and is now known as Hella - Saturnus. All of the lights below, to my knowledge however, are authentic authorized OEM VW parts. So, if you need to be period correct, you would get a white square button, chrome edge light. If you just need to be able to see in the dark, any will do just fine.

BTW, there are other lights out there, but they are typically aftermarket, non-VW,
non-OEM reproductions.

Let the debate begin...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 10 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Excellent work and documentation!
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Feb 10 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,673

The apparently OEM one that came in my 76 (trashed & not usable) had a 3 pole switch which could apparently be switched on either by opening a door, or manually at the light.
I purchased a replacement for ~ $12 that is only a 2 pole, so have wired it only as manual, not connected to door switches.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 10 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Since these would have been whatever was on the VW shelf that year of production there is very likely differences from 1969 build date 914's till 1976.
The first one (left) is likely not even a 914 light, but a beetle pre 1966 6v light. The last 3 lights likely for mexican and brazil built beetles in the 80s and 90's .

BTW as you guessed these are not "914" lights, they are all off the shelf VW beetle type 1 interior light housings. They have VW beetle part numbers.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Feb 10 2015, 12:18 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

914 Factory Parts Catalog shows the P/N as: 111.947.111D
The "111" designates the first vehicle it was used on - early Beetle.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 10 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

You will find this on a lot of 914 parts.
Door window handles for example, the early chrome strip handle, that I have seen some asking a premium price for, are common VW type 3 handles. Later they are common VW bug part.

111 xxx xxx
113 xxx xxx
141 xxx xxx
151 xxx xxx
211 xxx xxx
311 xxx xxx
411 xxx xxx
021 xxx xxx
022 xxx xxx
likely more

All VW part numbers.
Any consolation you see 111 and 113 part numbers in 356 and early 911 cars.
The 911 engine intermediate shaft bearings, right into the 1990's, are common type 1 and 4 cam bearings with different hole drillings.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 10 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Door window handles for example, the early chrome strip handle, that I have seen some asking a premium price for, are common VW type 3 handles. Later they are common VW bug part.

111 xxx xxx
113 xxx xxx
141 xxx xxx
151 xxx xxx
211 xxx xxx
311 xxx xxx
411 xxx xxx
021 xxx xxx
022 xxx xxx
likely more

All VW part numbers.
The 911 engine intermediate shaft bearings, right into the 1990's, are common type 1 and 4 cam bearings with different hole drillings.

No way...you mean my Porsh uses Vdub parts? I'm selling out.... :gasp:
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 10 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 10 2015, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2015, 10:41 AM) *

111 xxx xxx
113 xxx xxx
141 xxx xxx
151 xxx xxx
211 xxx xxx
311 xxx xxx
411 xxx xxx
021 xxx xxx
022 xxx xxx
likely more

All VW part numbers.

No way...you mean my Porsh uses Vdub parts? I'm selling out.... :gasp:

Yes way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Trying to edumakate da youngin's....
I see a lot of very common VW parts being sold as "rare porsche".

But to the OP I agree the late lights may be "real" VW and the correct part # but they do fit like total crap and don't look the same.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 10 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, there's very little to debate. It's well known that the dome light used on the 914 was used first on VW Bugs.

The only thing I question is if the Saturnus dome light was ever installed at the factory. While there is evidence the Saturnus was installed on Yugoslavian Bugs, I've seen no evidence of it ever being factory installed on 914s.

Steve Gaglione once said over in the Originality and History sub-forum that the Sidler was installed on the very earliest of 914s coming off the assembly line, and then white switch Hellas for the rest of the production. So if you're looking for the correct dome light and have anything other than a very, very early (as in 1969 build date) 914, get a white switch Hella.

Here's another short thread about my search for the name of the "S" dome light:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=183993

Here's a better look at the three "correct" dome lights (white switch with chrome edge). Saturnus - Sidler - Hella. Click image to supersize. Oh, and my Sidler dome light, while solid, had almost no "chrome" left on its edge. I used Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome to restore the finish.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 10 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #10

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I don't think new ones "Made in Germany" are still available. No? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I want one that is more OEM than the one I have in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 10 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Feb 10 2015, 03:03 PM) *

I don't think new ones "Made in Germany" are still available. No? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I want one that is more OEM than the one I have in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Be prepare to have deep pockets. If you can find one in good condition, it will probably sell for over $100.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 10 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 10 2015, 12:40 PM) *

Be prepare to have deep pockets. If you can find one in good condition, it will probably sell for over $100.

Only if it's a Hella AND someone wants to rip you off.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Feb 10 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,674

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 10 2015, 08:31 AM) *

Excellent work and documentation!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Nice work Tweet. Hope the move stress is over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

This is really good info on the dome lights! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

.... a couple of additional clarifications though, & forgive me if they were covered above, but I didn't see them ....

Actually, the Hella made for VW-Porsche 914 square white button/"chrome" edge ones made during the run for the 914's from 1969-1976 would have said -

"Made in West Germany" - since the wall didn't fall until `88 & German reunification after that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

IIRC, it was in the early 1980's when the Porsche dealerships started selling the square black button version only for replacements. For functionality those sold 3-pole by any vW or Porsche supplier today works fine.

Being fragile plastic, subject to damage from elbows/etc. mounted on the backpad + heat damage from too strong/hot of a lamp/bulb - these were replaced more often than almost any other part on the 914 (other than regular maintenance & wear items).

Also to clarify for the newbies, the "chrome" edge is actually a silver/chrome paint applied to the underside of the plastic lens edge - not a separate chrome bezel - just so nobody goes crazy hunting for that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 10 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2015, 03:12 PM) *

Actually, the Hella made for VW-Porsche 914 square white button/"chrome" edge ones made during the run for the 914's from 1969-1976 would have said -

"Made in West Germany" - since the wall didn't fall until `88 & German reunification after that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You'd think it would say "West Germany" but it actually says "Made in Germany" ... look again closely at the image I posted. (Click the image to super size it). The Hella dome light is the one on the right.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 10 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #16

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2015, 06:12 PM) *

This is really good info on the dome lights! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

.... a couple of additional clarifications though, & forgive me if they were covered above, but I didn't see them ....

IIRC, it was in the early 1980's when the Porsche dealerships started selling the square black button version only for replacements. For functionality those sold 3-pole by any vW or Porsche supplier today works fine.

Being fragile plastic, subject to damage from elbows/etc. mounted on the backpad + heat damage from too strong/hot of a lamp/bulb - these were replaced more often than almost any other part on the 914 (other than regular maintenance & wear items).

Also to clarify for the newbies, the "chrome" edge is actually a silver/chrome paint applied to the underside of the plastic lens edge - not a separate chrome bezel - just so nobody goes crazy hunting for that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Good review Tom,
Here's a photo front & rear of an real one for the record. I have one broken in half I am trying to glue together, grrrrrr. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 10 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

This photo breaks my heart. Like seeing an abused child.

How many more milliseconds would it have taken someone to simply pull the disconnects off the light? But no...they had to cut wires...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 10 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 10 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 10 2015, 12:40 PM) *

Only if it's a Hella AND someone wants to rip you off.

Funny - I just sold one for $100, had 3 people "2nd" in line, One offered $150 but I stuck with the original buyer at the asking price. No one had a gun to their head. My feeling - It's only a rip off if you don't get what you expect. We all have our perceived value.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 10 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

No, it's not funny when someone buys a dome light for $35 and then turns around and sells it for $150 plus. That's just ripping off your fellow 914 World member and laughing all the way to the bank. Not saying it's you but I know it's been done.

You want to know where you can get one? Bug swap meets, TheSamba, bug shops that sell used stuff. Example:

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=dome+light

+Quote Post
913B
post Feb 10 2015, 11:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,983

Nice write up. Thank you for the information.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:32 AM