Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

42 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
cary
post Feb 3 2017, 11:53 PM
Post #181

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Livin the Dream ........................
Ran out to Kleen Blast in North Portland to pick up some Garnet for the blast cabinet. Drove thru the Freezing Rain I-5 carnage on my way. Other than the debris on the side of the road, the drive was uneventful.

Lit a fire and started a 1/2 pot of coffee when I arrived. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Time to get to work .........................

1st. order of business was to spot weld in the first replacement door seal channel.
Attached Image
Gave the bottom of the channel patch a shot of weld thru primer. Should be good for another 50 years.

Attached Image
You'll notice the plywood backer against the door skin to keep from dimpling the skin.

Then I welded up the split/cracked window seal fastener hole on the right door.
Attached Image

Doug, I found another drilled hole on the left door ................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image

Then I cut out the 5th rust spot. This time the seal channel is in the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Attached Image

At the end of the day I started tinkering with seal channel patch #2. Looks almost like a roller coaster ................ Follow the yellow line.
Attached Image

All in all a very productive 1/2 day ...................... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 6 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #182

Advanced Member

Sunday March 5th.

Doug came out to do a little more undercoating removal before I deliver the car to our NEW media blaster in the am.

Attached Image

He brought his new to him 914-6 engine tin out so I can take it along to the media blaster. Once blasted it will get a little more tuning up before getting powder coated.

Attached Image

He also brought me a new to him LEISTRITZ muffler out for a little dent removal.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 6 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #183

Advanced Member

Finally ............................. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I dropped the car off at the new media blasters this morning. Impressive shop. Nice and tidy. Hopefully done by Friday ..............

I noticed everything in his shop in epoxy primered. So I asked, does he spray epoxy too?
Answer, No but my brother has a booth on the other side of Sherwood. They neutralize the soda first, then spray two coats of epoxy.

I'll let Doug discuss it with him.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 12 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #184

Advanced Member

Stopped by the blaster on the way home from instructing at the Tire Street Survival event at PIR.

Attached Image
Was treated with Hold Tight this afternoon.

Attached Image
Fender that will contain the oil tank.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 13 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #185

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 12 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Attached Image

All this yellow-tan looking stuff is just seam sealer.
I thought it was the foam that the factory puts up in the rear corners at first.
Nothing to worry here...just funny how cameras distort colors at times.

Will be getting epoxy primed in the next couple days, then back to Cary's shop to finish out the rest of the metal work.

Main things are finishing up the floors and doing the repairs around the windshield cowling.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 17 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #186

Advanced Member

Today was the big day. Time to pick up the car from the paint booth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The car looked stunning. Another stroke of luck, the blaster/primer painter shot the car with the same SPI primer I use.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 18 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #187

Advanced Member

A couple shots after being unloaded into my shop.
No real surprises after being blasted. A few screw/bolt holes here and there. A couple more soft dents. Hell hole is better than I thought it would be. I'll still need a Mad Dog kit.
Chomping at the bit to get going ............ tried to take Monday off at Rothsport, no go. Fender liners and mud flaps before the following weeks testing.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Up early to retrieve Matt Whitesell's car from the paint shop. 8am appointment.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2464316

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 19 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #188

Advanced Member

Finally back to work .....................
Started with the sheet metal hole cutting test for the oil filter. I used the hood off the POS parts cars that was cut into pieces. The outside edges were totally rotten.

Started with the 3 7/8 hole. The grommet fits, but the oil filter won't go thru it.
This is the one we thought would work. The seal alone would not slide around the hole.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The next one was 4". Empty, the seal would slide around the hole. The oil filter would slide in but the not pass entirely thru. It would hang up on rolled bottom lip.

Attached Image

Attached Image

But it would pass thru the seal with a light application of Sil-Glyde. I think once the seal heat cycles a few times it will be fine. I think 4 1/8th. would become to loose over time.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 19 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #189

Advanced Member

Next onto filling in all the sheet metal screws holes in the trunk that were bondo'd over. I assume the battery was mounted in the trunk for a while.

Attached Image

Then it was time to patch up the hacked in battery cable hole.

Attached Image

Attached Image
Shot from the backside, double sided seam

Used the Edd China (Wheeler Dealers) tape patch pattern technique.

Attached Image

I decided to use the 110 volt welder for less wire and less heat. Hopefully it will have less burn back on the epoxy primer.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 23 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #190

Advanced Member

Moonlighting Wednesday 3/22/17
Matt Whitesell came out to keep removing fuel and brake lines.
Doug came out to check on his epoxied project.
He also brought by his fuel pump and the CDI unit. Drill holes for the fuel pump bracket and do some creative addition to the battery tray for the CDI unit.

I started the night with a project review with Doug. Then I proceeded to unpack the boxes of parts that need to be welded in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Attached Image

Start with welding in the pivot threaded bushing.
Attached Image

The replacement part needs a little tuning up to make it look a little more like the factory piece. Round the corners and flex it up a bit to make it the same height.
Attached Image

Attached Image
Lots of measurements to check and use for getting it in the correct location.

Next ...................... rear sway bar mounts
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 5 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #191

Advanced Member

I did get in a little moonlighting from my work at Rothsport. Didn't get as far as I'd have liked too. Dad's Garage oil change for the daughter. Then when we through Matt's front struts in the parts washer. It made a horrible racket and shot sparks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . So we had to pull that apart. Needs to be dropped off at the irrigation pump shop for diagnosis.
Pump and motor turn freely. I'm thinking a brush of some sort sort wore down and turned sideways. Over my pay grade ................

Decided to round up a rear sway bar and get the rear sway bar tabs correctly located and aligned. Used Matt's sway bar and Mark's brackets. The bottom of the brackets are sprayed with weld thru primer and ready for welding in tomorrow night.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 7 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #192

Advanced Member

Thursday 4/6/17 Moonlighting

Double checking the sway bar alignment after welding in the first side.
Attached Image

Welded into place. Once it warms up a bit I'll get everything recovered with epoxy.
Attached Image

Trunk side .................
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Man it's pleasant welding with new metal on both surfaces. No need to adjust the weld settings due to the metal density.

The next couple steps I'll need to put on my Big Boy pants. 1st, cut the hole for the oil tank/filter grommet. Then on to installing my custom seat belt pockets.

I'm getting over my aversion to cutting and drilling holes in these beautiful cars.
Here's rally #2 going on the alignment rack. I alone have probably drilled 200 holes in that car. Today it will get 40 more. I'm riveting in 2 sheets of UHMW on the floor pan between the skid plates.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Apr 7 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #193

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

Received my stainless steel bumpers. Minor filing needed to fit the 914 Rubber fog light grills and the license plate bracket speed nuts.

The yellow fog light lens look pretty sharp.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 8 2017, 06:54 AM
Post #194

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

The yellow lenses do look nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 8 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #195

Advanced Member

Finally a Saturday off. Spent the am doing shop chores and maintenance. After lunch it was time to drill a 4" hole in the car.
Measure about 10 times, then cut. Started with finding the center of the formed oil filter console location.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Laid out Doug's template to confirm.
Attached Image
Perfect ..............

Needed go to the Tool Whore weapons chest. More torque ..........
Attached Image

Drilling the hole was uneventful. Getting the oil tank into the fender was another story.
I just couldn't get the inside stud into the hole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
After alot twisting and turning I found the flange was hanging up on the striker plate backing plate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Attached Image

Kind of hard to see. It wanted to settle in between the two sets of nubs.
So we loosed it up the striker plate and moved it about 2mm. It then slid right in. Go figure.
Attached Image
I had a bitch of a time getting it back into place so I could reinstall the M6 bolts.

Attached Image

Attached Image
The free handed bottom hose hole will need a little more art work.
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 8 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #196

Advanced Member

Then onto the left custom seat belt anchor point.
Attached Image
Doug thanks for the soda blasting. It made cleaning up the area pretty simple.

After a couple cut downs she's fitting pretty nice. The door frame portion will be rosette welded on the outside flange. Factory look. Same with the upper cross member. The fire wall portion will be lap welded with both seam and rosette welds.

Attached Image
Front side

Attached Image
Back side. You can see the flange.

Just about ready to weld. It will get another run thru the media blast cabinet before welding.
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 10 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #197

Advanced Member

Forgot I do have one section of Rembrant work to do.
The radius's don't match. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

Later radius is smoother.

+Quote Post
cary
post May 2 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #198

Advanced Member

Now where was I ? Seems like its been forever since I've been out here.
Attached Image

Beings that I'll have 4 days to work before I head to LA for Luftgekuhlt I decided to tackle the jack points first. Both sides had rust under jack point. So I needed to remove the 1st rusty layer. Both of the jack tubes where still in good shape.

Left side :
Attached Image

Attached Image
Like I've mentioned in the past. Take it out/off in small sections. Your less apt to tear a hole out from under the spot welds.

I did find that one of the rocker panel nuts had a 6mm bolt broken off in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image
Welded up my too deep cut.

Attached Image
Gooder as new. Drilled and tapped.

On to the right side. Same drill .......................
Attached Image

Attached Image

I did find another snapped off rocker panel bolt on the right side. Once again, drilled and tapped.
Attached Image

Attached Image

I sprayed the opened up sections with Ospho before we headed home.
+Quote Post
cary
post May 4 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #199

Advanced Member

Wednesday 5/3/17

Started the day cleaning the Epoxy primer out of the rocker panel cover nutserts.
Attached Image

Then on to the left seat belt retractor. Next task was putting the flange on the pocket so it will lay behind the firewall for strength.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/spe...-tool-1110.html
Lots of Rembranting to get a nice fit. The half a dozen long reaching Vise Grip clamps came in handy again. I worked on this while Super In Law was creating the jack point sheet metal patches. The indent for the tube had to be pressed/hammered in.
Attached Image

Blasted and weld thru primed and ready to go for tomorrow. I'll clean off the weld thru primer with lacquer thinner prior to respraying with epoxy primer.
Attached Image

After he finished up the right patch I set out to get it welded in. Kind of over did the application of weld thru primer due to the location of the patch. Lots of splattering. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) But it tidied up pretty nice.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Short Episode of Tool Whore.
I don't remember if I mentioned that I changed weapons for removing the proud off the welds.
Attached Image

Right side finished up.
Attached Image
Could have welded just a smidgen hotter for flatter rosette welds. The upper weld on the tube is a bitch with the fender attached. First shot was in the upside mode. NOT.
Ended up full power and a long stick out. Don't forget to turn up your welder when you get the the tube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Biggest issue was the inside fender 4 rosettes. 1. Next time tape off the area prior to spraying epoxy primer. I need a longer and wider belt sander. Getting that area down to bare metal was a bit of work. Tomorrow I'm going to try the 45 degree die grinder with a 3 inch disk. 2. I didn't want to take the time to pull the readers out of my Miller Face mask so I left hand welded it with my eyes closed.

Left side all ready to go for Thursday.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post May 5 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #200

Advanced Member

Thursday 5/4/17.
On to the left jack cover.
Reusing the tube I didn't like the way the radius met the bottom of the long so I straightened it and rebent it.
I weld in the vertical rosettes first then hammer it down.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Back in business ..................
Attached Image

In addition to the longer belt sander I'll need to find a magnetic mirror so I can see the hole on the last 2 holes.
In the future I might tinker with using the Panel Spotter in this spot. Need more practice.
Attached Image

Next was welding in the left seat belt bucket.
Started with fitting it tight with self taping screws.
Attached Image

The front was rosette and seam welded. Back got some 1" stitches every other inch.
Sides and top was just rosette welded like the factory part.
Attached Image

I didn't get too carried away with grinding. Basically just taking the tops off, not touching the back. My plan is to spray both front and back with a light coat of spray on seam sealer to kind of camouflage them.
The dark color is from the penetration of the back side stitches.
Attached Image

Need to detail the window seal channel in the am.
Doug is coming out for a visit in the am. It will be short day, I'm leaving for Lufegekult at 5am on Saturday and need to check in at Rothsport in the afternoon.

I wish I could share a photo. We left the two dirty rally cars sitting in the middle of Jeff Zwarts car collection. It is a sight to be hold. I'm pretty certain he is being his Monte Carlo 914-6 to be displayed with the 2 Mexican 1000 cars.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/rennsport-ran...ith-jeff-zwart/
+Quote Post

42 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:49 AM