Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

42 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just arrived in the garage: 1971 914-4 1.7
falcor75
post Aug 30 2018, 03:21 AM
Post #641

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Its looking bloody Amazing !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dion
post Aug 30 2018, 04:58 AM
Post #642

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your car has come together nicely. Interior looks great.
You were able to place the dash/front windshield seal in after the window was installed?
How difficult ?,any danger of damaging seal? I don’t intend to remove my front
windshield but a new seal would be nice. Didn’t want to burn money if it wasn’t feasible.
Real nice man. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Aug 30 2018, 05:20 AM
Post #643

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

It's coming together beautifully. Lovely work.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 30 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #644

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 30 2018, 03:58 AM) *

Your car has come together nicely. Interior looks great.
You were able to place the dash/front windshield seal in after the window was installed?
How difficult ?,any danger of damaging seal? I don’t intend to remove my front
windshield but a new seal would be nice. Didn’t want to burn money if it wasn’t feasible.
Real nice man. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I WAS able to place the dash/windshield seal into place after installing the windshield.
It was actually very simple.
I did take out both A pillar vinyl trim pieces (3 screws ea) as the seal needs to go underneath these.
No way to damage the seal.
Not sure if I'm totally in place, but I had enough butyl squeeze out that will hold onto the seal no matter how far I got it in.
The seal looks like it's in place and looks great from both inside and outside the car.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Aug 30 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #645

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Thanks for the info. I’m going to give this a go when I’m at that stage.
Never thought about the side pillar trim. Thanks mate.
Your 914 really is looking sweet!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 31 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #646

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Looks great! working on some of the same stuff, so i have a couple questions for you -
What or who's seal did you use for the window triangle glass seal? I am still fighting with this - how did you install? ive seen a few different approaches - i know you posted a few pics on my thread a few weeks back, that you had modified it to get it to fit, looks good on that picture here! - also on your windshield trim, did you prefit all the pieces to get the correct angle and alignment? i really had a hard time with getting the corners to sit down and several clips actually snapped and broke when the chrome trim was being pressed into place! i really had to work the trim to get it to the correct bend/angle to get it to lay correctly and snap in - i didn't force anything but the corner was the worst, ended up scratching the paint in the corner.
- i wanted to say i like the clean plain look of the engine lid with out the letters on it!
- i also had an issue with my rear window, the butyl i was sent i think was too thick i think as i have a gap bigger than it should be and the engine lid deck seal does not touch the window like it should. I might end up having to re do it- did you have an issue with this? it looks perfect, i am a bit jealous-

+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #647

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 31 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Looks great! working on some of the same stuff, so i have a couple questions for you -
What or who's seal did you use for the window triangle glass seal? I am still fighting with this - how did you install? ive seen a few different approaches - i know you posted a few pics on my thread a few weeks back, that you had modified it to get it to fit, looks good on that picture here! - also on your windshield trim, did you prefit all the pieces to get the correct angle and alignment? i really had a hard time with getting the corners to sit down and several clips actually snapped and broke when the chrome trim was being pressed into place! i really had to work the trim to get it to the correct bend/angle to get it to lay correctly and snap in - i didn't force anything but the corner was the worst, ended up scratching the paint in the corner.
- i wanted to say i like the clean plain look of the engine lid with out the letters on it!
- i also had an issue with my rear window, the butyl i was sent i think was too thick i think as i have a gap bigger than it should be and the engine lid deck seal does not touch the window like it should. I might end up having to re do it- did you have an issue with this? it looks perfect, i am a bit jealous-

Dr. Phil....you have a PM. We'll work it out together.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #648

Advanced Member

Sometimes I frequent the Early 911S Registry website as I also have a 73E.
Call me a glutton for punishment, thank you.

They have a thread that's called something like "show me the satanic details."
So people post their custom things they've done to their car, or some neat factory part that few might have....strange and unusual things for the most part.

So here's some of my "satanic details" on this 914 special I'm building.

First is the fuel pump that was relocated to the front trunk and resides under a factory cover plate.
I wanted to put a fun decal on there, so this came to mind.
Love it or hate it...it's there for eternity I'm sure.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #649

Advanced Member

Starting to mock up the installation of the seats that are going in this car....more satanic details.

These are the Watkins Glen model from GTS Classics.
I picked them because they were more like a sports seat but still fit into the recess of the backpad.

German black vinyl along with my custom selection of tartan plaid...Robertson Hunting Modern tartan.
Stefan did a great job putting these seats together.
I opted for the raw fiberglass backside as well.
Most folks get these painted black I think.
I wanted the raw fiberglass to tie in with the undersides of the front and rear bonnets and the engine cooling shroud.

Need to finish up a bit of under dash wiring before the seats go in for good.
I'm a big guy at 6'2" and 200+, so I need a lot of ground space to spread out and get my head up under the dash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The bulb is for the lumbar support adjustments.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #650

Advanced Member

A pic of the engine and trunk lid underside to show how well the seat backs will tie in with everything.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 31 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #651

Dr. Phil

man those seats are sweet!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) i have nice seats , stock though with no lateral support. i like the GTS and would go thet way if i get different ones. if i could find a plaid thst had some copper metallic stitching that would be really cool- any issue wirh putting the vinyl pieces down that go before you put in the carpet? i will be doing that tomorrow.

Phil
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #652

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 31 2018, 09:22 PM) *

man those seats are sweet!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) i have nice seats , stock though with no lateral support. i like the GTS and would go thet way if i get different ones. if i could find a plaid thst had some copper metallic stitching that would be really cool- any issue wirh putting the vinyl pieces down that go before you put in the carpet? i will be doing that tomorrow.

Phil

No issue with that.
Measure twice...cut once, as they say.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #653

Advanced Member

Pic of the floorspace I think you're talking about.
I used the same vinyl that is on my dash and door cards to cover the humps just in front of the seats.

I also used come dark charcoal perlon to fill in other areas that might catch your eye.
I don't like seeing the white paint on the floor or the sound deadening material when possible.
I've ordered a set of full size rear carpets for under the seats from Autobahn Interiors.
They did the rest of the German square weave wool carpets that are in the car.
For some reason you only get half carpets for under the seats....what's up with that?
Easily corrected.

I do have an arm rest/box that goes between the seats, but still the perlon covers many sins.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #654

Advanced Member

Phil

Don't know about copper metallic....but you could certainly find some great plaids that would go with your paint job.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 31 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #655

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 1 2018, 12:37 AM) *

Phil

Don't know about copper metallic....but you could certainly find some great plaids that would go with your paint job.

Attached Image Attached Image

perfect!!!
what is the name of the plaid and where can i find it?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 31 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #656

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 31 2018, 10:09 PM) *

First is the fuel pump that was relocated to the front trunk and resides under a factory cover plate.

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) When I first saw this pic, I thought, "Ah crap! Another decal I have to track down." Then it sunk in this was your satanic detail and was relieved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #657

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 31 2018, 09:51 PM) *

perfect!!!
what is the name of the plaid and where can i find it?

Not sure....just googled copper tartan plaid and these came up.
Think you'll need to do a bit of searching and research.
You'll find the exact perfect plaid for your car with time.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 31 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #658

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2018, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 31 2018, 10:09 PM) *

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) When I first saw this pic, I thought, "Ah crap! Another decal I have to track down." Then it sunk in this was your satanic detail and was relieved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hehe....gotcha man.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 2 2018, 02:48 AM
Post #659

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 31 2018, 06:50 AM) *

I ended up getting the 914Rubber triangle glass rubber seals.
Did have to make some mods to them to get them to work, but after the mods, they fit fine I think.

Yes, the windshield trim was a pain.
I did break one clip as well, but wasn't taking the windshield back out to replace it.
Just used a bit of urethane windshield adhesive to hold the trim down by the broken clip.
I did adjust the curvature of the corner trim pieces a bit to get them to lay in there better.
It's all a compromise on these older cars especially when so many things get changed or done on them.
In the end, I probably had a little much butyl in there for the windshield so it stood out too much.
But I kept using my heat gun and pushing the windshield in carefully until I was able to get all the trim snapped into place.
I am accepting the end result.
Is it perfect? Nope. But acceptable for where this car was going.

On the rear window, I used 3/8" butyl and mine went in fine.
My seal seems to fit fine and touch the window so I don't know what I did wrong to get it right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 2 2018, 05:52 AM
Post #660

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 1 2018, 12:32 AM) *

Pic of the floorspace I think you're talking about.
I used the same vinyl that is on my dash and door cards to cover the humps just in front of the seats.

I also used come dark charcoal perlon to fill in other areas that might catch your eye.
I don't like seeing the white paint on the floor or the sound deadening material when possible.
I've ordered a set of full size rear carpets for under the seats from Autobahn Interiors.
They did the rest of the German square weave wool carpets that are in the car.
For some reason you only get half carpets for under the seats....what's up with that?
Easily corrected.

I do have an arm rest/box that goes between the seats, but still the perlon covers many sins.

Attached Image

Car is looking awesome. Love the seats.
I do wonder why don’t we just paint the interior black, instead of going to all the lengths to hide the exterior color.

Love the satanic details thread on earlyS. That’s were I got the idea for the muffler that Ben built for me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

42 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:40 PM