Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rise from the ashes take 2, It looks like I have some work to do
audio_file
post Apr 16 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,409
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Apr 16 2015, 11:50 AM) *

They are crazy similar in appearance.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Except for the adjustment bolt on the FPR... which I learned (the hard way) is there just to LOOK AT, not play with, unless you have an inline fuel pressure gague handy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 16 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #22

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The adjustment for the Decel Valve is the nut around the hose fitting on the end of the valve. The adjustment for the FPR is the bolt on the opposite end from the end with the hose fitting on it.

I don't believe the 1.8 style decel valve nor the 1.8 L-jet FPR are adjustable.

--DD
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 16 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

The engine has been out for a while and I've disassembled it down to taking the cylinders off. At this point, I don't think splitting the case is necessary. The pistons and cylinders look pretty good. I'll post some pictures of them when the cylinders are a little more cleaned up.

One thing that I need advice on right now is the flywheel. It looks pretty worn to me. Can somebody give me an opinion on how it looks, or give me some measuring guidance? There doesn't seem to be much meat left on the friction surface.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 16 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #24

I've also been spending more time in Harbor Freight lately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have acquired a new 3-ton jack, 21 gallon compressor and accessories, an engine stand! and some other bits and pieces for the garage. I finally have some momentum on getting the car back on the road. Fall is approaching and that's a good time to drive with no AC in Florida.
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #25

Ok folks, I know we all like pictures. Here are some for you to look at. Before I take these heads to a machine shop for evaluation, please give your opinions about their condition. One needs two intake studs replaced and the other has a horrid, broken cooling fin.

Cylinder I combustion chamber:
Attached Image

Cylinder II combustion chamber:
Attached Image

Head for I and II:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 07:53 AM
Post #26

Cylinder III combustion chamber:

Attached Image

Cylinder IV combustion chamber:

Attached Image

Head III & IV:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

...and a closeup of that broken fin:

Attached Image

The fin below the break is also slightly bent. I don't know what sort of whack caused this damage, but it happened before the car came into my hands.
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #27

There is one more thing I'm trying to figure out - what camshaft is in this engine.

Here are a couple of pictures. The stamp isn't exactly legible, but can anyone recognize the configuration of the text and possibly tell me the brand? The rebuild paperwork says the engine has a 272 degree cam, but no other identifying information. The rebuild was done in 1988, if that helps.

Here is a closeup of the stamp:

Attached Image

The lobes look pretty good to my novice eyes!

Attached Image

And here is the dirty engine in a partial state of disassembly. It's actually a little more apart now than this picture shows.

Yes, those are scratches on the door and rocker cover of my car. And, No, I'm not happy about them.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #28

Is that broken-finned head repairable?

I contacted Len Hoffman about it, but he only told me that he doesn't perform partial repairs on TIV heads. He didn't actually answer my question about whether it could be repaired. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I don't have $$$$ to spend on having these heads completely remanufactured right now, and am not even sure this engine is worth that kind of work at this point. If this one can be fixed or simply bolted back on and run (I don't see any cracks or other damage anywhere), then that's what I'll do.

So come on, let's hear some opinions so I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 17 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #29

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Sep 16 2015, 10:00 AM) *

One thing that I need advice on right now is the flywheel. It looks pretty worn to me. Can somebody give me an opinion on how it looks, or give me some measuring guidance? There doesn't seem to be much meat left on the friction surface.

That flywheel looks pretty worn. The pic makes me say look for one with more meat on it, but pictures can be deceiving. I still haven't ever seen the measurements for a 914-4 flywheel. The only official measurements I have ever seen posted on this site were for the 914-6 flywheel.
(one of the many threads for reference http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=flywheel )

I can tell you that the 'C' measurement on the new 914-4 flywheel I bought from Pelican a few years ago was 9mm. Below is a pic of a 914-6 flywheel for referencing where the 'C' measurement is.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2015, 01:33 PM) *

That flywheel looks pretty worn. The pic makes me say look for one with more meat on it, but pictures can be deceiving.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the picture and thread link, rjames. It looks like I'll be shopping for a new flywheel and clutch kit.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 17 2015, 11:54 AM
Post #31

914 Idiot

I think I see at least one spark-plug hole crack. There are a couple of others that might be cracks (they're not in the common location though) or may be an illusion or something in the casting that isn't important.

Heads can be run with a broken fin like that. It's not exactly optimal, but it shouldn't be a super big problem.

If any welding is done on the head, chances are at least decent that the valve guides and seats will move some. Might be enough to affect the contact between the valves and the seats. Which means at a minimum those should be checked, and a valve job might need to be done.

I figure you have three choices with these heads:
1- Run them as-is.
2- Fix them properly, spend the $$$$.
3- Put them into the "future cores" box and find some different heads to run.

--DD
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 17 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #32

Dave, I'll take a closer look at the spark plug holes. The glare in the garage when I took these pictures makes them look washed out and sort of hard to see. I still need to have intake studs repaired in the other head, so they will see a machine shop to be checked out. I just didn't know if the broken one was worth any trouble or is scrap.

Thanks for chiming in!
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 18 2015, 05:31 AM
Post #33

After a closer look last night, I saw two cracks in combustion chamber II. This head's spark plug holes are pretty rough looking, anyway.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Sep 19 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #34

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry to go off topic but motorcycles in garage shots always catch my eye. What's lurking on the other side of your car?
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 19 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #35

That would be the other early '70s project. It's a '72 Honda CB350F. I've had it for years, bought and installed a lot of used and NOS parts on it, got it painted, but never started it.

There's really not much left to do, just rebuild & rejet the carbs (new exhaust system installed), run new fuel lines, and get the brake parts rebuilt. After the 914 is running again, I'll turn my attention to the bike.

Now the real question is, what part of DelMarVa are you from? I'm a Delaware native and spent most of my life between the Chesapeake and the Atlantic.
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Sep 20 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #36

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Sep 19 2015, 08:57 PM) *

That would be the other early '70s project. It's a '72 Honda CB350F. I've had it for years, bought and installed a lot of used and NOS parts on it, got it painted, but never started it.

There's really not much left to do, just rebuild & rejet the carbs (new exhaust system installed), run new fuel lines, and get the brake parts rebuilt. After the 914 is running again, I'll turn my attention to the bike.

Now the real question is, what part of DelMarVa are you from? I'm a Delaware native and spent most of my life between the Chesapeake and the Atlantic.

Ahhhh. An early 70's CB. Perfect platform for a nice cafe. Love those bikes. It's funny how many 914 guys love motorcycles too. 2 wheeled projects often show up in the 914 pics.

I'm just a little bit south of Salisbury although I grew up in Pocomoke. Would have been 4 generation there but I ended that streak, unfortunately.
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 3 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #37

Here's a question: does this look like an aftermarket cam gear, or is it stock? I expected to see bolts holding the gear on, but these look like rivetsAttached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 3 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #38

914 Idiot

The original ones used rivets. Don't know if that is stock or not, though. Just about all of them now use bolts, but you have to double- and triple-check for interference between the bolt heads and the oil pump, and maybe even parts of the case.

--DD
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 4 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 4 2016, 01:52 AM) *

The original ones used rivets. Don't know if that is stock or not, though. Just about all of them now use bolts, but you have to double- and triple-check for interference between the bolt heads and the oil pump, and maybe even parts of the case.

--DD

This engine is supposed to have a "272 deg cam," according to the rebuild receipt from 1988, and I'm trying to ID it.

Is it possible they riveted the cam gear back onto a new camshaft?

I've decided to have the cylinders honed and replace the rings & rod bearings. There's only about 40k miles on this rebuild, so if the rod bearings look decent, then I won't go any further right now. (going to assume the mains would be decent, too) I discovered a local machine shop yesterday that looks like they have a clean facility and modern equipment, so I plan to talk to them this week about doing some work for me on this engine.
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Sep 4 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #40

Can anyone offer more advice for identifying the camshaft without removing it? Those rivets make me think it's stock. If it is, then maybe I won't even bother with new rings and rod bearings - just put it back together and start saving for a proper rebuild with new heads figured in.

I want to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) this thing instead of fool with the engine forever.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:03 AM