Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ot. truck driving school and career, member with knowledge please advise
campbellcj
post Feb 18 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #21

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I was surprised at how many truck drivers there are. Per a recent NPR article, it is the #1 most common job in many states of the US. That implies the demand is there, but supply is plentiful --> downward wage pressure and as few perks and comforts as they can legally get away with.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015/02/05/...-in-every-state
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 18 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #22

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 18 2015, 09:14 PM) *

In my life I've never been depressed by a place and time as much as walking in to a truck stop outside Albuquerque at about 3AM. Lonely scattered truckers smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee and staring at the counters, not speaking a word to anyone. Waitresses tired and impatient, refilling coffee cups while trying to not make eye contact with anyone. Stale stinky air, boiled coffee, greasy food, and absolutely nothing good about anything. I can't imagine spending my working career tired, needing a shower, and looking forward to finally getting out of my cab and into that place. Ughh. Not something to look forward to.

Omg the way you described it it's like I'm there

Ill pass on that hell ,I like too.shower at least twice a day

Thanks db for keeping it real ,much too real
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 18 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #23

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

My son has an acquaintance that became a driver...

Long hours, away form his wife and family...

Then he had a small accident in his first year out of school, ($5K for school) not even his fault I am told.

He became essentially unemployable, got only the trashiest of assignments, part time on contract, no benefits. No one would hire him until the accident got off his record.

Not the way to spend a career for anyone with enthusiasm and aspirations for success, in addition to all the great advice above. Its not what it is made out to be by Hollywood

I suppose its a good fit for some though.

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 20 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 18 2015, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 18 2015, 08:20 PM) *

$70 to$100k for flight training is a bit much. You can get what you need for way less. Do a little more research. The problem is gaining flight experience. Nowadays you need 2500 hours to be a co-pilot. Having said that, we are looking at a huge pilot shortage coming soon. All us old bastids are retiring. Trust me, flying is a better life than driving a truck (not that there is anything wrong with that) I have done both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Do tell old bastard

I live 10 mins from el Monte aeroport but have only found
Private pilot school for 6 k

And

A t p in long beach , 70 k for commercial pilot course

Having trouble finding much else near or in so cal

Just point me in the right direction , I'll beat down the door

Im 33 , if I was 10 years younger and had a college degree
I'd join the aero force usaaf in a second and they could teach me but that ship has sailed so to speak .

"Don't give me a p-39 with a engine thats mounted behind"

Boeing with co-operation with the airlines is considering "ab initio" (I think that means 0 experience) flight training. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Regional airlines because of low pay rates are parking airplanes because they can't find pilots. If this is something you truly want, you will suffer through all the low pay and other hardships to get what you want. Ask me how I know. Or you can become a programmer or real estate salesman or... Certainly nothing wrong with that either, if that's what you want. Major airlines get pilots from the military or the smaller regional airlines. If they can't, then they have to train folks from off the street with "0" flying time. Kinda scary when you think about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Feb 20 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 11,790

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Feb 16 2015, 03:46 PM) *

Keep in mind that driverless trucks will be among the first implementations of driverless technology. Likely it will be airport to distribution centers for UPS and FedEx to start. Long haul trucking will be next, so the truck does not need to stop.

Ah the driverless vehicle...giving "computer crash" a whole new meaning...

Don't really see that happening for quite a while...looks good on the developing technology list though.

Another glitch the techie's might not think of...Teamster's
+Quote Post
budk
post Feb 21 2015, 07:07 AM
Post #26

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lot's of doom and gloom stories of what real OTR (Over the road) truckers have to deal with. However, in the areas of the country where they are drilling for natural gas (and other natural resources) there is a plethora of jobs that require a CDL.

24/7/365 local driving jobs in the fracking industry and they can't seem to find enough qualified drivers to fill all the openings.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Feb 21 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #27

OldMember

Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
The pay is great for hazardous loads.
However,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDZ9svcnCA

The mother of traffic jams in the '90s,a driver in his '20s flipped a fuel tanker off the onramp to WB QEW at Burloak Dr.(he was OK)

+Quote Post
altitude411
post Feb 21 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #28

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Stunt truck driving ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_25xSV_Gzg
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 27 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 16 2015, 03:32 PM) *

Easiest is to find a place that has both Class B and Class A if they offer training.

I worked at one place years ago that trained me on Class B (bobtail delivery truck) so I was able to get that license and then work on my Class A.

I ended up leaving that company before I got my Class A (went back to school to get my A&P License)

Having the Class B was a good thing since at the time getting a job in the aircraft field was tough so I got a job as a cement truck driver, I just had to take a test to carry liquids and pass that at the DMV)

No idea about the schools, if anything like some of the other "job" training schools, they are great for taking your money and stringing you along for more money offering this and that...hopefully for a truck driver they are more honest.

I don't miss driving as a professional that much anymore, I like being home everyday and not being out in the elements as I had to deal with being the cement truck driver or delivery driver.

Good luck.

What was the pay like driving the cement. truck ?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 27 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 20 2015, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 18 2015, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 18 2015, 08:20 PM) *

$70 to$100k for flight training is a bit much. You can get what you need for way less. Do a little more research. The problem is gaining flight experience. Nowadays you need 2500 hours to be a co-pilot. Having said that, we are looking at a huge pilot shortage coming soon. All us old bastids are retiring. Trust me, flying is a better life than driving a truck (not that there is anything wrong with that) I have done both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Do tell old bastard

I live 10 mins from el Monte aeroport but have only found
Private pilot school for 6 k

And

A t p in long beach , 70 k for commercial pilot course

Having trouble finding much else near or in so cal

Just point me in the right direction , I'll beat down the door

Im 33 , if I was 10 years younger and had a college degree
I'd join the aero force usaaf in a second and they could teach me but that ship has sailed so to speak .

"Don't give me a p-39 with a engine thats mounted behind"

Boeing with co-operation with the airlines is considering "ab initio" (I think that means 0 experience) flight training. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Regional airlines because of low pay rates are parking airplanes because they can't find pilots. If this is something you truly want, you will suffer through all the low pay and other hardships to get what you want. Ask me how I know. Or you can become a programmer or real estate salesman or... Certainly nothing wrong with that either, if that's what you want. Major airlines get pilots from the military or the smaller regional airlines. If they can't, then they have to train folks from off the street with "0" flying time. Kinda scary when you think about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

So your saying it is possible to go from 0 hrs to airline pilot or co pilot but the money sucks

And from what I understand to get to a regional or major airline , you must have a 4 yr college
Degree

Are there any high school grads flying for airline s ???

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 27 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(budk @ Feb 21 2015, 05:07 AM) *

Lot's of doom and gloom stories of what real OTR (Over the road) truckers have to deal with. However, in the areas of the country where they are drilling for natural gas (and other natural resources) there is a plethora of jobs that require a CDL.

24/7/365 local driving jobs in the fracking industry and they can't seem to find enough qualified drivers to fill all the openings.

Right I saw a Lisa ling special where they were paying crazy money for driving jobs and any oil drilling
Jobs . N.Dakota I think , a girl was driving a fuel truck , 7. Days a week's making 120 k a year

But I prefer to stay in cali
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 27 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #32

Dootsen
Is telling me the average expense of obtaining my cdl class a with them is. On average 900$ bucks

Does this sound like a honest estimate , googled says between 3. An 7 thousand ( not at dootsen)

And they claim to help with job placement also
+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 27 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #33

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 2 2015, 12:43 PM
Post #34

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1438217056/r...ds=brett+aquila

Has anyone read this ??????

Brett aquila

The truth about truck driving
+Quote Post
jfort
post Mar 2 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I recently talked to a truck driver who was wanting to change companies. He had signed a non-compete as part of his contract. I my opinion (I am an attorney) it was enforceable, so he was trapped. Beware of that if you sign a contract.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 2 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #36

yeh that's why I'm paying for my own truck driving school .
Some companies said we will pay for you school and put you up in a hotel , just sign here

But I knew it was to good to be true , strings attached you could say .

So I did it my way "

I'm not a attorney but was raised Jewish

So I know not to sign contracts .and that

It's always implied that your signing your life away when signing any contract

But thanks for the heads up

+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 2 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I opted to become an underwear supermodel.

You should look a little further at career choices.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 2 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 2 2015, 12:08 PM) *

I opted to become an underwear supermodel.

You should look a little further at career choices.

I can appreciate the fact that your too sexy for ,New York , Milan and Japan

But I just thought haveing a truck driving license would be good career insurance in case I strike out in the Hawaiian tropics oil boy vocation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

And just fyi they are looking for two lucky guys
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 2 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #39

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 27 2015, 06:55 PM) *

What was the pay like driving the cement. truck ?

I couldn't tell you...too long ago to remember....now that I think of it, I don't know what I make now, it must be okay $ since the wife doesn't complain too much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:01 AM