Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: Bike rack for the Targa Top OR.., or parts to make one like the tray and fr fork hold
jim_hoyland
post Feb 19 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Looking for a rack someone made to mount on the Targa Top. Going to install on my spare top so I can bring my bike to the WCR...

I'm thinking of making one from parts now...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 20 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Jim, you might look for the one that mounts under the rear rollbar & a padded seat pad/u-piece on the R trunk lid like I have. Less hassle & removable when not in use.

They come up FS here, 914club, CL, TheSamba & evil-bay, etc. occasionally.

It's here at Jeff's 914 site - mine & 2 others are near the bottom of the page ...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Feb 20 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Dr

Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 20 2015, 05:26 PM) *

They come up FS at 914club,

Club Narp's For sale section might as well be listed if you consider 914club as a shopping site. they have nothing for sell that is not listed here.

the club is dead...

but they do have a whole line of S only parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) over

Jim I remember seeing that thread, i'll try to find it later. Elliot might remember it.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 20 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Thanks for the tips. Don't really want to use the ski rack at this point; thinking of a simple Yakima tray with front fork attachment and strap for rear. Would bolt to targa top with a backing plate.

At first, I thought of removing the wheels and putting the bike in the rear trunk inside a canvas bike bag, but that proving too be awkward.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 22 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I just sold my partial bike rack and it would have been able to support a cross bar.

You can mount a Yakima or Thule rack to the roof, but use a strong backing plate inside. The FG isn't as thick as you'd think.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 28 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Progress: I have a Yakima tray. Thinking of using one of those ski-rack brackets to hold the rear end of the tray. Anyone have one of those ?
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 28 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #7

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Jim - the most solid way to do this is to mount a set of cross bar racks to the trunk. There is a local, never seen car/poster here on 914word, that did this. Fits great. Looks solid. Might be a challenge to lift the rear trunk with the extra weight on it though. I've used the folding trunk bike racks on my 914 for short trips: clips in on edge of rear lid, one support rests on top of trunk, one support on rubber bumper top, bike is behind rear bumper.
Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 28 2015, 11:28 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If its just one bike and you don't need to use the rear trunk, take off the pedals (a good pedal wrench from a bike shop makes this easy (remember left pedal has opposite threads)), take off both wheels, lay the bike in with the bars turned 90 degrees, old blanket on top, lay down the wheels, cover with rest of blanket so the hubs don't contact the lid and your good. 3-5 minutes total. shoes, helmet and other gear will fit and the bike is locked and out of sight. throw some vinyl gloves in the back and you'll stay grease free.

Remember, 914 metal is very thin and easy to deform with a rack.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 28 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #9

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2015, 09:28 AM) *

If its just one bike and you don't need to use the rear trunk, take off the pedals (a good pedal wrench from a bike shop makes this easy (remember left pedal has opposite threads)), take off both wheels, lay the bike in with the bars turned 90 degrees, old blanket on top, lay down the wheels, cover with rest of blanket so the hubs don't contact the lid and your good. 3-5 minutes total. shoes, helmet and other gear will fit and the bike is locked and out of sight. throw some vinyl gloves in the back and you'll stay grease free.

Remember, 914 metal is very thin and easy to deform with a rack.

I'll do some measurements Sunday....thanks for the idea
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:49 PM