Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advantages of H-Beam rods over stock in a 2.0L
lonewolfe
post Feb 20 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

What are the advantages of H-Beam rods over stock rods in a 2.0L motor? I know the H-Beams are lighter and stronger but in terms of performance what are the advantages of using the lighter rods?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 20 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Lighter rods would mean less rotating mass. Probably negligible improvement on a street motor.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 20 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I wouldn't bother unless a race motor.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 22 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Thank you two for your responses! I am surprised there were no pro H-Beam responses from anyone. I remember reading that Jake uses them in all of his engine builds so I figured there would be some responses in favor of using them. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to use H-Beams or get my stock rods reconditioned.
+Quote Post
ldsgeek
post Feb 22 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,885
Region Association: None

You need to keep in mind what kind of motors Jake builds, not your typical rebuild by any stretch of the imagination.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 22 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Street motor, or even slightly hopped up, I would not waste the money on h beam rods.
I would replace the rod bolts.
I would get the old ones trued up and balanced.

I would focus all my spending on the heads, camshaft, and push rods.
Get the heads ported, get them down by a pro with a flow bench.
You will not regret balancing the heads for performance....even on a stock motor.

Rich
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 22 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

They are better by being lighter and stronger. Depends on what your after.
I had a race 2.0 with lightened stock rods and 130-135 hp. It wasn't cost effective to use H-beam rods in hat one. But to go to 8,000 rpm I would.

Depends on the application
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 22 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #8

This is primarily for a street car. Maybe some auto x but 95% for the street. I have a set of KS flat top 94's but may bump it up to 96's for a 2056. I'm thinking of using a Webcam 494 cam and around 9:0 to 1.0 compression. I'll be running a pair of Dellorto 40's & SSI heat exchangers.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Feb 23 2015, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Used the H-beam rods in mine, 2056 with 96mm KB flat tops.

Raby 9590 cam, Ham heads. D-jet

Probably overkill for a street motor.

Can't say how they run, cause body work is still going on. Engine and trans are ready though.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 23 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #10

that's what I do!

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 23 2015, 12:41 AM) *

This is primarily for a street car. Maybe some auto x but 95% for the street. I have a set of KS flat top 94's but may bump it up to 96's for a 2056. I'm thinking of using a Webcam 494 cam and around 9:0 to 1.0 compression. I'll be running a pair of Dellorto 40's & SSI heat exchangers.

That cam won't make power over 6000rpm, H-beams are a waste of money.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 23 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 23 2015, 08:56 AM) *

Hi Mark! Thank you for your replies. From all your posts I've seen on here I can see you have a lot of experience and knowledge about Type 4 engines. I would like to squeeze the most performance I can out of this car while maintaining reliability and good street drive ability. I'd also like to keep heat in the car and I have a virtually new set of SSI 2.0 heat exchangers. I also have a pair of completely refurbished Dellorto 40 carbs. I have a couple pairs of 2.0 heads in great shape. What cam choice would you suggest that may be better? I live in the SF Bay Area so I'm basically at sea level. Any input will be appreciated. I have most of the parts needed and am not interested in a Raby cam kit for this motor. The Raby kits seem to be the Go To solution for many on here but I wish to have an alternate solution. I'm sure his stuff must be awesome but I want something different. Elgin or EMW cams are another option.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 26 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 23 2015, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 23 2015, 08:56 AM) *

Hi Mark! Thank you for your replies. From all your posts I've seen on here I can see you have a lot of experience and knowledge about Type 4 engines. I would like to squeeze the most performance I can out of this car while maintaining reliability and good street drive ability. I'd also like to keep heat in the car and I have a virtually new set of SSI 2.0 heat exchangers. I also have a pair of completely refurbished Dellorto 40 carbs. I have a couple pairs of 2.0 heads in great shape. What cam choice would you suggest that may be better? I live in the SF Bay Area so I'm basically at sea level. Any input will be appreciated. I have most of the parts needed and am not interested in a Raby cam kit for this motor. The Raby kits seem to be the Go To solution for many on here but I wish to have an alternate solution. I'm sure his stuff must be awesome but I want something different. Elgin or EMW cams are another option.

Nothing? I think this thread is dead in its' tracks!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 26 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 26 2015, 06:48 PM) *

Sadly the discussion of modified Type IV's is going to be less and less it seems as those that are in the know move on to something else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 26 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2015, 08:32 PM) *

Sadly the discussion of modified Type IV's is going to be less and less it seems as those that are in the know move on to something else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks for the reply Mueller! Sometimes it's like trying to find hens teeth to get information. Unless one is upgrading to a motor from a 911, Subie or some V8.

How's your new 914 coming along? I read on here that you finally found another one. I met you at a 914 breakfast get together a couple months ago out in Pleasant Hill. I think you were driving a Range Rover as I recall. I'm surprised Jake did not pipe in since his name was mentioned.
+Quote Post
76racer
post Feb 27 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,463

Have you priced H beam rods recently? by the time you resize and rebush your own rods you're not that far off. I installed them on my 2056 and have been very happy. I am also using 96 KB pistons and a Webcam 86A. I'm pretty happy with the performance and will be adding a header system this spring. Also running Dell 40's
Joe
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Feb 27 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,061

When you go to a stroked crank you must go to a CNC rod because the stock rod will hit the case. The CNC rod has a smaller big end.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 27 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(76racer @ Feb 27 2015, 10:08 AM) *

Have you priced H beam rods recently? by the time you resize and rebush your own rods you're not that far off. I installed them on my 2056 and have been very happy. I am also using 96 KB pistons and a Webcam 86A. I'm pretty happy with the performance and will be adding a header system this spring. Also running Dell 40's
Joe

Hi Joe!

Thanks for your input! I've considered a Webcam 86A. When does the power start coming on with that cam? Is it good for street driving? Does your car idle smoothly? I thought the 86a was better suited in the higher RPM range but I may be wrong about that. I believe that's the cam RacerChris uses in his racer which leads me to think it's best at high RPM's.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 27 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #18

that's what I do!

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 26 2015, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2015, 08:32 PM) *

Thanks for the reply Mueller! Sometimes it's like trying to find hens teeth to get information. Unless one is upgrading to a motor from a 911, Subie or some V8.

Yep agree, I've been building engines for over 25 years, I used to give lots advice, I got tired of being told I don't know shit from armchair engineers that read something on the internet.
I don't give much advice anymore.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Feb 27 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #19

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 27 2015, 02:14 PM) *

Joe

Hi Joe!

Thanks for your input! I've considered a Webcam 86A. When does the power start coming on with that cam? Is it good for street driving? Does your car idle smoothly? I thought the 86a was better suited in the higher RPM range but I may be wrong about that. I believe that's the cam RacerChris uses in his racer which leads me to think it's best at high RPM's.

I've had an 86a in my 2056 for years. It's street friendly and begins to make power in the 3-3500 range. I've been satisfied with it. I'm going more aggressive with my current build.

80mm crank and rods.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Feb 27 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Woody @ Feb 27 2015, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 27 2015, 02:14 PM) *

Joe

Hi Joe!

I've had an 86a in my 2056 for years. It's street friendly and begins to make power in the 3-3500 range. I've been satisfied with it. I'm going more aggressive with my current build.

80mm crank and rods.

Attached Image

Cool! Are your rods 5.325" or 5.4"? What cam are you using and are you sticking with 96mm P&C's?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:52 AM